Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

42 minutes ago, blandy said:

India will win, but England's bowling was loose - Moeen in particular (rusty, I guess) and the batting was careless in several instances. India bowled better and batted better - the pitch has looked ropy from the start, though it has got worse. If England had won the toss & batted first (as badly as they did) I think India would still be on top.

I guess India wouldnt perform as badly again and we made some changes. Olie Stone making his debut  and Moeen having not played a test in so long. 

Edited by PaulC

I think TMS made too much of the pitch. It is a variety that we should be expecting in India. Look at the wickets we lost. Stokes was bowled a pearler and so what if it's day 2. Sometimes that's what happens. I love 5 day tests the most, but the odd 3 or 4 day rollicking test is just as compelling and thrilling. We could have bowled tighter and batted better. 3 of ours went to a a seamer, Root's was a misjudgement and then the tail enders weren't given much of a chance. Foakes was very impressive. Glad he's doing his best while he has these 3 tests to impress. 

Obviously the toss is important, and perhaps the balance could be evened up a little, but I think part of the challenge of touring is supposed to be dealing with the those conditions we're not used to. It will be 1-1 probably be the day's end tomorrow, so still very much loads to play for going forward. Hopefully Moeen tightens up now he's had competitive overs under his belt for that test, though the day night scenario in India is intriguing. How much will spin still dominate?

• Like 2

The pitch is a bit of a joke - I know people will say its what you can expect in India but they've taken it to a bit of an extreme with this one. Its the sort of pitch that would see point deductions if it was produced in the County Championship. I think it highlights why India haven't lost a home series since 2012/13 though. One defeat and we get a pitch that resembles a beach with chunks of the pitch coming up from morning one.

Having said that, we haven't played particularly well with bat or ball. I guess its hardly surprising that we don't have as good spin bowlers as India but the fact that our spinners can't even bowl particularly well on a pitch like that is why we'll always struggle in spin friendly conditions.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

The pitch is a bit of a joke - I know people will say its what you can expect in India but they've taken it to a bit of an extreme with this one.

I'm sure Indians would say that the pitch couldn't have been that bad if they managed to score 600+ runs on it...and that's pretty hard to argue with! 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, WhatAboutTheFinish said:

I'm sure Indians would say that the pitch couldn't have been that bad if they managed to score 600+ runs on it...and that's pretty hard to argue with! 

1 hour ago, Rodders said:

we will be going well into a 4th day ( well depends how badly we bat ) so it cant' be that bad. 

You're not going to convince me that this pitch isn't bad. The chunks coming out of the surface from ball one are enough to show that. The argument about whether the pitch or England's spin bowlers are worse is probably a good one. We won the first Test despite our spin bowlers being average at best because the pitch wasn't as bad as this one. I've seen people arguing that if England had won the toss its a different game. I don't think it is at all. Ashwin is going to have a field day on that pitch whenever he bowls in a way that Moeen Ali, Jack Leach and Dom Bess just aren't.

If we continue to play on pitches like that then we lose the series 3-1 with games over as a contest within 2 days (however long this one drags out in the end). At the same time we play India at home in August. If we produce the greenest seam friendly pitches we can then we win that series comfortably with games over as a contest within a couple of days. I guess my question then is if that represents a fun sport to watch. Test cricket is dying a bit of a death as it is - producing such home friendly pitches isn't going to improve this.

3 hours ago, tom_avfc said:

You're not going to convince me that this pitch isn't bad. The chunks coming out of the surface from ball one are enough to show that. The argument about whether the pitch or England's spin bowlers are worse is probably a good one. We won the first Test despite our spin bowlers being average at best because the pitch wasn't as bad as this one. I've seen people arguing that if England had won the toss its a different game. I don't think it is at all. Ashwin is going to have a field day on that pitch whenever he bowls in a way that Moeen Ali, Jack Leach and Dom Bess just aren't.

If we continue to play on pitches like that then we lose the series 3-1 with games over as a contest within 2 days (however long this one drags out in the end). At the same time we play India at home in August. If we produce the greenest seam friendly pitches we can then we win that series comfortably with games over as a contest within a couple of days. I guess my question then is if that represents a fun sport to watch. Test cricket is dying a bit of a death as it is - producing such home friendly pitches isn't going to improve this.

They are better against Spin than us and if Agnew says its a bad wicket i believe it is. 

5 hours ago, Rodders said:

we will be going well into a 4th day ( well depends how badly we bat ) so it cant' be that bad. 

In fairness, that's only because India decided we will - they could have declared before lunch today and set us a target we'd be unable to chase down.

Maybe they need the ticket money?

• Like 1

I really don’t like Jonny bairstow.

Yes he can have good days but he’s so arrogant he wastes reviews all the time.

He must have known he didn’t hit that so why review it immediately, didn’t even consult Crawley (who’s looked imperious so far).

What a tool.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Â