Cricket: General Chat

Milfner

Could end up the top wicket taker in this Ashes still. Think he's far from done ability-wise and we'll dearly miss him

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rodders said:

Broad retiring at the end of this game :o slight shock, and surprised he's announced it first given the form he's shown this series 

Seen Anderson struggling and thought not having that I am going out at the top.  Cannot knock that really.

• Like 1

So firstly, great day again - England superb, sure at one point it looked like they could pile on more runs but there’s a healthy lead to bowl against now.

Secondly, a bit shocked with the Broad news and it’s somewhat chastening for me on a personal level. I got into cricket properly off the back of the 2005 series, Broad made his debut not too long afterwards so I’ve watched his England career, the ups and the downs (though more the former). Earlier in his career he was being touted as a genuine all rounder and the ‘next’ Botham, he’s never quite scaled those heights with the bat - the ball into the face and an asterisk next to his only test century contributing massively I think - but his bowling record is unquestionable really. 

A real character of English cricket, he will be sorely missed.

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, theunderstudy said:

Could end up the top wicket taker in this Ashes still. Think he's far from done ability-wise and we'll dearly miss him

Also out of all the bowlers England have to choose from, it's Broad and Anderson that you would bank on being fit enough to play an entire series, despite their age.  They were just born to do it.  I suspect Broad has a decent Sky contract on the horizon.  What a career though.

Loved his enthusiasm and his passion. Been a great great player for England and now retiring on his own terms when he's had such a wonderful ashes. Let's hope he has a great conclusion and help bowl Engand to victory at the oval 

• Like 2

Does anyone else have a bad feeling the aussies might pull of the run chase tmrw (or tmrw and on Monday)? :s I'm going to be nervous... I can't help feel we'll need to get 3 wickets before they reach 100 and another 3 before they reach 200 or we'll be in trouble. Their tail is really dangerous, as we've seen with Cummins and now Murphy. Mid-afternoon today I was so hoping we'd end up with a 450 lead but now it won't even be 400.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, robby b said:

Does anyone else have a bad feeling the aussies might pull of the run chase tmrw (or tmrw and on Monday)? :s 

No not really. Look at the history of test cricket, teams don't chase 350+ in the fourth innings too often. 

Edited by villa89
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, robby b said:

Does anyone else have a bad feeling the aussies might pull of the run chase tmrw (or tmrw and on Monday)? :s I'm going to be nervous... I can't help feel we'll need to get 3 wickets before they reach 100 and another 3 before they reach 200 or we'll be in trouble. Their tail is really dangerous, as we've seen with Cummins and now Murphy. Mid-afternoon today I was so hoping we'd end up with a 450 lead but now it won't even be 400.

I don't think this Aussie batting lineup is anything special. Certainly not worried about their tail. We have more than enough.

🤞 Hope you're right PaulC, fingers crossed. Although Smith's had an awful series he still worries me. Since being injured by that bouncer he's been a shadow of his former self (the one who tormented us relentlessly in nearly every innings in more than one series). I guess the cheating scandal has also affected his performances since. But he still has one more innings and is due a century... :s

We'll win. Only thing stopping is us weather. But otherwise I'm confident. There may well be a couple of strong partnerships that have us twitchy they might get to like 250/4 or something but I'm relaxed. We'll end thr series on a high and rue that old Trafford rain. 

Broad to get Warner out one more time just because

I wonder what the Seletcor(s) who decided NOT to pick Chris Woakes for the Test, on his Home ground, are thinking now. I think he was available  - not injured or anything !

47 minutes ago, veloman said:

I wonder what the Seletcor(s) who decided NOT to pick Chris Woakes for the Test, on his Home ground, are thinking now. I think he was available  - not injured or anything !

Lords was the test I thought was strange given his incredible record there 

15 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So firstly, great day again - England superb, sure at one point it looked like they could pile on more runs but there’s a healthy lead to bowl against now.

Secondly, a bit shocked with the Broad news and it’s somewhat chastening for me on a personal level. I got into cricket properly off the back of the 2005 series, Broad made his debut not too long afterwards so I’ve watched his England career, the ups and the downs (though more the former). Earlier in his career he was being touted as a genuine all rounder and the ‘next’ Botham, he’s never quite scaled those heights with the bat - the ball into the face and an asterisk next to his only test century contributing massively I think - but his bowling record is unquestionable really. 

A real character of English cricket, he will be sorely missed.

And I remember his father Chris opening the batting for England...

I felt old when Stuart Broad made his debut for England...i'm 45 yrs old by the way, so much happens in the sporting world in such a short space of time!

Anyhow, Stuart Broad has been a great player and servant to the England Cricket team.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Milfner said:

Very strange seeing Broad walk away before Jimmy, easy to forget he’s 37. What a player, gonna have a tough time replacing him. 

Why not, retire at the top. Can understand if he is fed up with the winter touring and doesn't want to be dropped and just play county cricket.

1 minute ago, The Fun Factory said:

Why not, retire at the top. Can understand if he is fed up with the winter touring and doesn't want to be dropped and just play county cricket.

I said I thought it's strange that he's retired before Jimmy, not that it's strange that he retired. I totally understand the reasoning. I think this will be Jimmy's last test anyway, six months until the next tour where he'll be closer to 42 than 41. 

Looks nice and flat for Australia to play their usual game. Think we'll struggle to pick wickets up on this surface. England only lost 10 wickets because they were carting it around

Â