Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

This looks good value, anyone have it?

Sony Xperia ZL for £199

http://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/sony-xperia-zl-smart-phone-with-quad-core-processor-5-full-hd-screen-bravia-engine-1949843

Brand: Sony
Type: Xperia ZL smartphone
Material: polycarbonate
Colour: white
Processor: 1.5 GHz Qualcomm APQ8064 Quad Core
Sony Mobile BRAVIA® Engine 2
Ram: 2GB
Storage memory: 16 GB flash; expandable with up to 64 GB via microSD card slot
Display: 5 inch scratch-resistant TFT; 16,777,216 colour / 1920x1080 pixels
Capacitive touchscreen with shatter-proof sheet on scratch-resistant glass
Network capabilities: UMTS HSPA+ (Bands 1, 5, 8 or bands 1, 2, 4, 5, 8); GSM GPRS/EDGE 850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz; LTE (Bands 1, 3, 5, 7, 8, 20 or bands 1, 2, 4, 5, 17)
Camera back: 13 MP Exmor RS camera with photo flash, auto focus and HD video recording (1080p)
16x digital zoom
Sony’s Exmor™ R for mobile CMOS sensor
Flash/Pulsed LED and Photo light, Sweep Panorama, Face detection, Geotagging, Image stabiliser, touch focus, send to web and much more
Camera front: 2 MP, 1080p video
Connectivity: 3.5 mm audio jack (CTIA), Micro USB support, TV Out, USB High speed 2.0 support
Communication: aGPS, Bluetooth wireless technology, DLNA Certified, GLONASS, IR Remote, Media Go, Media Transfer Protocol support, MHL support, Native USB tethering, NFC, PC Companion, Throw, Synchronisation via Exchange ActiveSync, Google Sync and Facebook, Wi-Fi and WiFi Hotspot functionality, Wi-Fi Direct, eCompass, NeoReader barcode scanner
Battery: Li-Ion 2370 mAh battery
Talk time (up to): 10 hours
Standby time (up to): 500 hours
Dimensions: 131.6 x 69.3 x 9.8 mm
Weight: 151 grams
Warranty: 2 years

My S3 will now not charge.  My phone has just capitulated.

If you want to keep it longer, get a QI charging sticker for it and a QI charging plate. I've got one in my S3 and it works well.

My S3 will now not charge.  My phone has just capitulated.

If you want to keep it longer, get a QI charging sticker for it and a QI charging plate. I've got one in my S3 and it works well.

Yeah I bought a spare battery which comes in a case that can be charged so I am managing to get by. 

I do want to get the nexus 5 but I was hoping to get the latest nexus phone, which I see might not be happening.  If I am going to get a new phone I would rather get something that has the latest technology so I can keep it for 2 to 3 years.

My Nexus 5 has started playing up (turning itself off randomly). I'll probably get Google to fix it, but I'm thinking it might be time for something new. In the absence of any one+ one invitations, I think it'll be the G3 or the Z2. Does anyone have experience of both? Preferably with a GPE ROM?

My Nexus 5 has started playing up (turning itself off randomly). I'll probably get Google to fix it, but I'm thinking it might be time for something new. In the absence of any one+ one invitations, I think it'll be the G3 or the Z2. Does anyone have experience of both? Preferably with a GPE ROM?

Hmmm, has anyone used either with a GPE ROM?

This article about a new GPE lineup has som nice Nexus nuggets

There were rumours that both GPE and the Nexus line would be replaced by Android Silver, Google’s programme of requirements for certain high-end Android devices intended to act as a consistent seal of quality for Androids.

However, head of engineering at Android David Burke says that the Nexus line of ‘pure’ Android devices aren’t going anywhere.

“People have been commenting about Nexus because there is something else and they think that means the end of Nexus. That is the totally wrong conclusion to make," Burke said to ReadWrite.

The Z Ultra GPE ROM was first ported to the ZOne before it even hit the Xperia Ultra, and as far as I know it was flawless. Should be a good fit for the Z2 as well even though the hardware is slightly updated.

edit: nothing in the pipe though after a quick look

Edited by Tegis

The Z Ultra GPE ROM was first ported to the ZOne before it even hit the Xperia Ultra, and as far as I know it was flawless. Should be a good fit for the Z2 as well even though the hardware is slightly updated.

edit: nothing in the pipe though after a quick look

Either you are very flexible and take personal grooming too seriously or you have mirrored floors

• Like 2

Should you still buy a nexus 5? http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2014/07/the-price-is-right-should-you-still-buy-the-nexus-5/

yes.

Great article, only thing I disagree with is they talk the nexus 5 camera down. But with HDR+, I'm yet to see anything better the stuff you can get out of its camera in real world situations.

Edited by darrenm

You can do some really nice post processing in snapseed too. Even just hitting drama, centre focus and turning the saturation up makes most things look better. 

• Like 2

You can do some really nice post processing in snapseed too. Even just hitting drama, centre focus and turning the saturation up makes most things look better.

Yes, but you need to have captured good source material to start with. The nexus 5 is the only camera I've ever seen where you point it directly into bright sunlight to get the best photos. I think it's because it pushes the ranges wider.

Example. I couldn't see anything with the naked eye, blinded by the sun. So pointed the camera at it and came out with this. https://docs.google.com/file/d/0Bwk0csJenKUyLVE4R0ViNldTdzg/edit?usp=docslist_api

Edited by darrenm
  • Like 1

Â