Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

My N5 seems to be just as bad as what my S3 was battery wise. The chargers always break for me too, 2 for my Samsung and now my Nexus 5 one is unreliable. Sometimes when I look at my phone in the morning it's only charged to 70%.

I've read there might not be a N6 which is a shame because I don't want to spend over £350 on a phone. The LG G3 is priced at £500, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground phone coming out. Either the Moto phone or the big brands seem to be the only options now.

My s3 is about 18 months old and the battery life was gash, it was down to 2 hours, I got a replacement and it seems a lot better, enough to tide me over until December.

My s3 is about 18 months old and the battery life was gash, it was down to 2 hours, I got a replacement and it seems a lot better, enough to tide me over until December.

My s3 is currently 21 months old. I've had to buy a spare battery due to how bad the battery life has got. Can't wait to upgrade!

• Like 1

My s3 is currently 21 months old. I've had to buy a spare battery due to how bad the battery life has got. Can't wait to upgrade!

my battery was terrible .....stuck cyanogen on it ..back to decent again tho cant wait to change phone 

• Like 1

Not sure if this is the right thread for this, but here goes. I got a Galaxy S5 from Phones 4 U about 2 months ago, and yesterday the charging port cover which makes the phone water resistant popped off. I didn't force it, nothing snapped, the adhesive simply failed. I went in to the shop where I bought it and, after standing around for 15 minutes, was helpfully told that I should go and see the man who sells phone covers in Touch wood to get it fixed. Apparently, this is classed as me causing the damage and there is no way of proving that I didn't force it. I phoned customer service and was told the same thing, in addition to a smug admonition for not getting their extortionate insurance.

Can anyone advise me if I am being shafted here? This seems to be a known fault with the phone, and as I said, it is quite clear that the adhesive has failed. Is there anything I can do?

Not buying a galaxy s5 from phones4u in the first place would have been the best thing. :-)

The USB port on my nexus 7 went loose after a while. Mainly due to using it with the cable in. Not really the fault of the item but probably a bit of a design weakness anyway. As I bought it from Google play, I rang them, they sent a brand new one and I had 3 months to send the faulty one back without getting charged. That's how it's supposed to work with retailers and consumers.

In your case I'd demand to see the store manager, politely but firmly explain that it's a weakness with the device, it's a known fault and it just fell off under normal use. Tell him you're entitled to a refund under the sales of goods act but as you're a reasonable person you'll allow them to attempt to repair it first. Or just write a letter to the store, copying their customer services asking for a refund full stop. It may be less painful in the long run.

• Like 2

Thanks, Limpid.

I wasn't sure if it warranted its own thread!

I'm sure it's a common enough thing that it deserves it's own thread. I might even sticky it if someone wants to start one documenting their experience. Hint.

That and the perennial "I've broken my screen" question.

My N5 seems to be just as bad as what my S3 was battery wise. The chargers always break for me too, 2 for my Samsung and now my Nexus 5 one is unreliable. Sometimes when I look at my phone in the morning it's only charged to 70%.

I've read there might not be a N6 which is a shame because I don't want to spend over £350 on a phone. The LG G3 is priced at £500, there doesn't seem to be a middle ground phone coming out. Either the Moto phone or the big brands seem to be the only options now.

Check out the OnePlus One. It's as rare as rocking horse dung due to limited stock and an invite system at the moment. However, hopefully they will be available to mere mortals soon.

To sum it up, top notch specs, runs CyanogenMod out the box (similar to a nexus experience), and retails for half the price of other flag ship devices.

£229 16gb version

£269 64gb version

That looks pretty good actually, if I get a replacement for this phone which they said they would if I still had problems, I could sell the N5 as new and get a free upgrade to the one you posted.

I do love this phone though, but those specs blow the N5 out of the water, especially the battery!

Thanks for the advice, Darren. I think it was the manager I spoke to previously, but I will head back in and have another go now I know what my rights are. Also, I'll take my fiancée, she's better than me at being angry. Good cop, bad cop.

Not buying a galaxy s5 from phones4u in the first place would have been the best thing. :-)

old-man.jpg

• Like 1

My S3 is now 2 years old and the battery life is amazing.

using it quite a lot for whatsapp (reading/writing around 1000 messages per day) and 5-10 times on internet per day, i use around 45% of the battery every 24 hours. 

so i charge it every two days by which time the battery is down to 5-10%.

maybe i just got lucky!

Edited by ender4

My S3 is now 2 years old and the battery life is amazing.

using it quite a lot for whatsapp (reading/writing around 1000 messages per day) and 5-10 times on internet per day, i use around 45% of the battery every 24 hours. 

so i charge it every two days by which time the battery is down to 5-10%.

maybe i just got lucky!

No chance thats the case.

Edited by Eames
  • Like 1

1000 messages a day?!

and your battery lasts 2 days?

My S3 battery lasted about 12 hours, if I was lucky. And that was with sending about 2 messages a day, and using it for basically nothing else!

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

I've had 4G for about a week now, my God it's quick. Once everywhere is covered there will be no more waiting around for pages to load. The only problem at the moment is it's forever switching between H and 4G as Three don't cover everywhere yet.

• Like 1

Â