Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Hey Guys,

So a lady friend of mine from Cork is looking to get a new phone and is on O2 but can change network.

Now I know nothing of the best Network to suit her and it appears they don’t have giff gaff over there. I presume they are all quite similar (I was on meteor pay as you go back when I was over there)

Anyway, she wants a new phone, has an old Iphone and isn’t bothered about getting a new one. The note is too big otherwise shes open to suggestion. Id suggest the Galaxy Nexus or the S3 depending on price etc.

She wants her phone to “Take clinical photos, access to word and PDFs from email, whatsapp, viber etc.” so obviously it doesn’t have to be the best phone but sure everyone likes the best.

I don’t think shes in any huge rush, so would you suggest picking up an S3/ Nexus, getting something else or waiting for something newer (LG nexus etc)

cheers for the help

She can't go wrong with a Galaxy S3. It'll get updates for a long time yet. She won't care about our vanilla vs skinned discussions. It's also got a great camera, great battery life and is an all round great phone. The removable battery is handy for when it loses its charge over time she can buy a new one. The camera on the Galaxy Nexus is rubbish so avoid that. Especially with the new nexus due in the next few weeks.

If you want the best advice. I'd wait till early November before buying. The Nokia Lumia 920 is supposed to have a game changer of a camera by all accounts. So if she wants the hands down best camera phone it'd be that. It's due out in early Nov. But I'm irish and know it takes a while for carriers to get certain phones so even then the recommended phone might not be out till Dec on O2.

Cork is a big city. I'd advise to switch to 3 network, or stay on O2.

Oh and tell her to avoid the iphone 5 like the plague. Dublin airport is in the liffy according to their maps. So cork probably doesn't exist. Haha

Can I ask that everyone download - atooma - it's an excellent and easy ti use version of tasker. You just chose an event + action

For example

event is 9am, action silent mode on,

event is 6pm, action is silent mode off

event I enter my home, action wifi on

etc... It's excellent. Trust me guys, simple to use and so powerful

Thanks for this, it really is excellent once you get your head round it.

Chuffed here. Just got a Note 2 off ebay. Was only used for a few days and owner is going back to their iphone. Cost £360. What a bargain. It's £530 new.

My S3 is being sold and they go for low £300s

I love ebay

I know, it's such a great app. It simplified tasker into a quick and still powerful app. Really handy, it's one of the best things about Android. Automation of repitive tasks.

I've seen a lot of profiles with the text to speak feature, can't seem to get this to work. Is there something that needs to be activated for this?

So glad I went for the s3. Thanks again conor for the link. It arrived on Thursday and I haven't put it down since.

The screen is awesome, I mean, really awesome. Everything is so smooth and fast, even without JB the level of control and personalisation is great and the speakers are fantastic for games and films. The garnet red colour is so sleek and nice, its pretty much villa claret. Looking forward to the update to jb, hope the UK gets it soon and that Samsung retain a sense of coolness of stock jb instead of applying loads of childish logos and colour.

Thats my only criticism so far, how colourful touchwiz is. Everything else is just me still learning how to do things like figuring out how to set play store updates to WiFi only.

Awesome phone.

• Like 1

Will have a look, sounds very useful.

Also have to mention the battery on this thing, took it off charge at 08:30 yesterday morning, went to Alton Towers so didn't use it much, got home at 23:00 and it still had 70% left, used it for an hour to check up on here and a few sites last night, woke up this morning and still on 55%, couple more hours or more today and as I'm typing now at 14:00 it's now at 27%.

Bloody love this thing.

What's the sgs 3 like as a music player? Tempted to buy one sim free rather than wait until my contact runs down, may sell my iPod to recoup some of The money.

It does everything I want it to. I've got an 8Gb card in it, thus giving me 24Gb memory. That's a shitload of music.

I use mine when I'm cycling for listening to music and also GPS tracking my routes, and the battery is fantastic. I wholeheartedly recommend the S3...

The S3 is a great music player. The expandable storage means you can keep your library on a removable SD card so it's easy to move around. Handy when you upgrade. Also with 50gb dropbox you can store all your music in the cloud and stream.

Speaking of the S3, mine is up on ebay now.

• Like 1

What's the sgs 3 like as a music player? Tempted to buy one sim free rather than wait until my contact runs down, may sell my iPod to recoup some of The money.

Brilliant, I review music so it is important to me and I cannot fault it.

Drop box is free, go to their site and check it out. If you buy an S3 you get 50gb, but normal free dropbox is like 2 or 3gb free storage.

You can have it as a folder on your desktop on your pc and access it like you would any other. It can also sync stuff to it. For example all the photos I take on my S3 automatically back up to dropbox when I'm connected to wifi.

With music you can store it up there and stream it to your phone. It's just a great cloud storage. The best one.

Â