Android: General Chat

NICKTHEFISH

Ordered a Moto G5S+ a few days ago. Got it for £220, sold my phone to a mate for £50 so I'm happy. Haven't had one since the very first Moto G which was an excellent bargain at the time so I'm really looking forward to getting this new one. 

• 2 weeks later...

Now that Pixel Launcher has replaced Google Now Launcher, how come it's not available in the playstore like GNL used to be? Is it literally exclusive to the Pixel phones only?

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Now that Pixel Launcher has replaced Google Now Launcher, how come it's not available in the playstore like GNL used to be? Is it literally exclusive to the Pixel phones only?

The usual pattern is that it will appear in the play store at some point.

The OnePlus 5 dropped nearly 20% battery life overnight last night. And then dropped 6% in an hour with almost no use including the commute to work. And there doesn't appear to be any rogue app affecting it and the battery life analysis doesn't tie up either - 10% usage according to the analysis but 21% dropped.

Hmm... Strange. Google seems to suggest a recent update **** the battery use.

8 hours ago, Chindie said:

The OnePlus 5 dropped nearly 20% battery life overnight last night. And then dropped 6% in an hour with almost no use including the commute to work. And there doesn't appear to be any rogue app affecting it and the battery life analysis doesn't tie up either - 10% usage according to the analysis but 21% dropped.

Why aren't you charging it overnight?

My 3T drops more than 6% on my commute if I leave wifi turned on. But usually it drops much more than that driving my podcast player at 1.2x speedup and using the bluetooth headphones.

23 hours ago, Chindie said:

The same happened with my Xperia Z5 after a previous Android update. The battery life was absolutely hammered.

People on here said it couldn't have been an Android update that did that, but I'm almost certain it was.

15 hours ago, limpid said:

Why aren't you charging it overnight?

My 3T drops more than 6% on my commute if I leave wifi turned on. But usually it drops much more than that driving my podcast player at 1.2x speedup and using the bluetooth headphones.

With dash charge it's more convenient at the moment to charge it before I leave for work of a morning. 

In the last few days however the battery life was getting markedly worse, with the only change being an update from OnePlus.

Having looked into it it seems clearing the cache and taking off the always search for WiFi has made a massive difference (why the latter did I've no idea, it's on the WiFi at home). 4% loss overnight, barely anything on the commute.

18 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The same happened with my Xperia Z5 after a previous Android update. The battery life was absolutely hammered.

People on here said it couldn't have been an Android update that did that, but I'm almost certain it was.

The consensus seems to be that OnePlus did a rushed and apparently buggy update seemingly to assist with dialing emergency services that, dependant on the exact way you set up the phone for your use, can leave the battery getting hammered. Doesn't affect everyone but lots of people reporting basically the same thing I did, large battery usage overnight when not being used and battery getting hammered on normal use.

Thankfully looks like a very easy fix.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I didn't so I'm getting a new phone.

I've not heard about an android update killing all z5 phones. A faulty phone seems much more likely than a dodgy update.

I'm glad you're getting it replaced.

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I have to agree with stevo on this one. Since I did a recent update on my S7 the battery life seems to be a lot power despite me always putting apps to sleep in background.. 

I've no idea if it'll help, but have you tried clearing the app cache and/or done a factory reset?

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/10/2017 at 03:15, Ingram85 said:

Try XDA, there are ways to install but to be honest it's no better than GN Launcher

• 2 weeks later...

My rather ancient Note 3 has finally got to the point it needs to retire, as the buttons keep sticking. I got over 4 years out of it though, it's done its duty!

To replace it, my preferred options so far are the Nokia 8 which is now available for about £350 (plus a possible £50 cash back), which seems like a lot of phone for the money. Alternatively there's a pretty reasonable deal on the S8 for £27 a month. I currently pay £10 a month for a similar SIM only plan, so with the £20 up front it's £428 for the phone. I wouldn't normally get a phone on contract, but that's a pretty hefty saving compared to buying the S8 outright.

The S8 has a better camera, and a better screen. But it also has a stupid fingerprint sensor placement, so I wouldn't actually use it, that ridiculous Bixby button, and while the screen is gorgeous, the fragility concerns me. The Nokia gets quicker updates (Oreo is rolling out, not yet in sight for the S8), seems to just edge it in battery life, and is between £80-130 cheaper, cashback allowing.

I had a quick look at the OnePlus 5/5T too, but it costs more than the S8, and doesn't have the screen or camera to make up for it.

Edited by Davkaus

Writing that out has pretty much made up my mind. All I use the bloody thing for is Spotify, taking cat photos, and dicking around on the internet. The S8's not going to do that better by much of a margin.

Â