What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

...would not be a very good president* for us to set.

*precedent.

That is unless you want us to start making waves politically, in which case politely withdrawn sir.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because you want him and we don't want to sell him . The kid has been blatantly ( Allegedly :| ) tapped up from your end which has unsettled our player thus you pay a price for that in my eyes . Villa know only you will pay anywhere near 30 mill and Villa would prefer to keep him and so be it if we lose money on him next year we did the same with GB . There will be a compromise in my opinion around 27 -28 . I don't think he is worth it but then again never thought Lescott / Adebayor or Kaulo Toure were worth the money either . For what its worth I would prefer Arteta myself over Milner aswell .

Every team in the world taps players up, Villa included. If you think that somebody is going to bid tens of millions of pounds for a player without having some sort of a guarantee that the player is interested or willing to listen, then you're a far more naive man than I thought.

Gary Lineker wrote a good article on it here

Nah, Gary Cook is a Brum fan anyway (just to endear him to your hearts that little bit more). Besides, most people who actually know and speak to Cook say that he's a very nice guy and the owners certainly seem to think he's good at his job, or he'd be gone. I've met him a couple of times in passing, and he always came across as a really passionate and genuine guy. The recent Tears of Joy video on the OS had the principle of a school in New York calling him an "inspirational human being" and a bunch of other things. As they have directly worked with him, and (presumably) you've read a few articles on the man, I'll stick my opinion with them thanks ;)

Well I'll stick to mine.

He's just a fat fooking tw@t who never in a million lifetimes thought he'd land as luckily as he has.

Nah, Gary Cook is a Brum fan anyway (just to endear him to your hearts that little bit more). Besides, most people who actually know and speak to Cook say that he's a very nice guy and the owners certainly seem to think he's good at his job, or he'd be gone. I've met him a couple of times in passing, and he always came across as a really passionate and genuine guy. The recent Tears of Joy video on the OS had the principle of a school in New York calling him an "inspirational human being" and a bunch of other things. As they have directly worked with him, and (presumably) you've read a few articles on the man, I'll stick my opinion with them thanks ;)

Well I have met him and came across as polite enough at first but before he knew I was a Villa fan started talking about other clubs as if we were mere cannon fodder . Lacks class in abundance and if the owners were anyone else I think he would be out on his ear . He negotiaties like Peter Ridswell its just fortunate you got pots of money !

Why this down to us? We've said how much we'll pay, and it's a good, fair price for Milner. You guys can either drop the price to be more realistic (unless you seem to think that Milner is worth £30m) or can keep an unhappy player and we'll turn our attentions towards Arteta or Ramires?

Of course it's down to you. When he joined us two years ago, the player signed a contract stating he would play for us for four years in exchange for a certain salary. We are only two years into that contract, so he has two more years to fulfill it. We want him to keep playing for us, so if you want him you'll have to pay whatever price we have set. Otherwise, he will stay with us. By all accounts he's a model professional, so I am not at all concerned about 'keeping an unhappy player.'

It's the height of arrogance for Man City to swoop in, attempt to unsettle our player, and then criticize us for keeping him against his will. He is contracted to us!

Why this down to us? We've said how much we'll pay, and it's a good, fair price for Milner. You guys can either drop the price to be more realistic (unless you seem to think that Milner is worth £30m) or can keep an unhappy player and we'll turn our attentions towards Arteta or Ramires?

Of course it's down to you. When he joined us two years ago, the player signed a contract stating he would play for us for four years in exchange for a certain salary. We are only two years into that contract, so he has two more years to fulfill it. We want him to keep playing for us, so if you want him you'll have to pay whatever price we have set. Otherwise, he will stay with us. By all accounts he's a model professional, so I am not at all concerned about 'keeping an unhappy player.'

It's the height of arrogance for Man City to swoop in, attempt to unsettle our player, and then criticize us for keeping him agains his will. He is contracted to us!

Spot on

I was there a couple of years ago when Barry got the bird. I thought it was embarrassing and sad then and if the same happened to Milner I would again be sad but I wouldn't be surprised as mob behaviour tends to take over from common sense on matchdays. Fans are the only ones who can't change clubs, for everyone else it is just a business.

Exactly. Anybody who says things like "he earns enough money" is living on another planet.

I've met dozens of millionaires, including my current boss. There isn't a single one of them who thinks "I've got a big house, lots of nice cars and will never have to work again, I'll start turning down any more money that's offered to me".

I've said it before, but if I was on £50K a week at Villa, and Blues offered me £100K, I'd be doing a Craig Gardner special pretty bloody quickly!

I wouldn't. Id stay at Villa for 50k a week over anyone else on the planet and become a hero.

I've always said I'd play for Villa for the wages I get at my current job. (and they're not that great). I think its because if your not a footballer, you realise what a bloody privilege and a joy it would be to play professional football. Even more so if it was for a club you loved.

I believe some people underestimate the value of supporters in this modern game. Being a supporter of a football club is an extremely tribal condition; we pledge our heart and money to our club, we idolise players like Milner and many others. And when we show a slight bit of disagreement with what we are viewing, we are beset by pundits for showing some aversion for events happening at the club. This new culture is eroding the spirit of the game in my opinion, and slowly turning a lot of people away from the real attraction of British football.

Interesting to see that Damocles now has total control of City's transfer budget and obviously speaks for the Sheikh himself!!

It's the height of arrogance for Man City to swoop in, attempt to unsettle our player, and then criticize us for keeping him against his will. He is contracted to us!

THIS !!! enough said .....

Just sell him. He is overrated, £30million is crazy money for him!

Let that small club from Manchester have him. The equivalent in size to Birmingham or West Ham.. They just happen to be making a fake club from some camel humpers money! What a great way to build a club, history and tradition means nothing anyway! :winkold:

Fair price?

You needed money and sold Wright-Phillips to Chelsea for £24m. We aren't so desperate for cash as you were back then and prices have generally gone up since you sold SWP. So why on Earth, given the above (not to mention Milner being better than SWP) should we accept £24m? He's also a far better player at his position than Lescott is at his - another player that moved for £24m.

You've bought this upon yourself really. You knew Chelsea had money and got greedy over SWP, yet you expect teams not to do the same for you?

Right, got you. I wasn't aware that by "attempt to unsettle our player" you meant "bid for him".

Anyway, you completely missed the point. I was quoting somebody who said that it is our fault if we don't sign him for not meeting your price demands. I rebutted with the fact that the price demands are astronomical for Milner and you have effectively priced him out of a move.

Personally, I really want him as I've rated him since his Newcastle days, but most City fans are of the impression that they could take him or leave him. We have players such as Ireland who can play in the centre and do a good job for us, so the need for Milner is negligible if we keep Ireland. He isn't this type of player that we will do anything to sign, as you can tell by the way that we've conducted business. If we wanted Milner desperately, we would have paid the £6m difference and signed him immediately.

As I said, the reports of £24m is more than fair for Milner in my view and if Villa try to hold out for £30m I can't see us taking the deal.

Let's say he does stay and you sell him next season for £12m. Is the £12m loss of revenue really worth it? And for what exactly?

Let that small club from Manchester have him. The equivalent in size to Birmingham or West Ham.. They just happen to be making a fake club from some camel humpers money! What a great way to build a club, history and tradition means nothing anyway! :winkold:

What a classy bunch of fans you guys are.

Yes because one fan's opinion is representative of us all.

Cya then!

Right, got you. I wasn't aware that by "attempt to unsettle our player" you meant "bid for him".

Anyway, you completely missed the point. I was quoting somebody who said that it is our fault if we don't sign him for not meeting your price demands. I rebutted with the fact that the price demands are astronomical for Milner and you have effectively priced him out of a move.

Personally, I really want him as I've rated him since his Newcastle days, but most City fans are of the impression that they could take him or leave him. We have players such as Ireland who can play in the centre and do a good job for us, so the need for Milner is negligible if we keep Ireland. He isn't this type of player that we will do anything to sign, as you can tell by the way that we've conducted business. If we wanted Milner desperately, we would have paid the £6m difference and signed him immediately.

As I said, the reports of £24m is more than fair for Milner in my view and if Villa try to hold out for £30m I can't see us taking the deal.

Let's say he does stay and you sell him next season for £12m. Is the £12m loss of revenue really worth it? And for what exactly?

Depends if we get 4th or win a cup then £12m is peanuts, seeing as we have no idea right now what the season will bring I'd say £30m or no deal. We don't need the money.

Fair price?

You needed money and sold Wright-Phillips to Chelsea for £24m. We aren't so desperate for cash as you were back then and prices have generally gone up since you sold SWP. So why on Earth, given the above (not to mention Milner being better than SWP) should we accept £24m? He's also a far better player at his position than Lescott is at his - another player that moved for £24m.

You've bought this upon yourself really. You knew Chelsea had money and got greedy over SWP, yet you expect teams not to do the same for you?

You're talking about something you obviously don't remember very well.

SWP was sold for £21m for a start. Secondly, Chelsea bid £20m which we rejected, SWP came forward with a transfer request and we sold for £21m to save a bit of face.

I know, I know. I suggest you read back through the forum and see how many times this sort of language is used to describe the Sheikh though. We warn people on Bluemoon for this sort of thing, and we're a far more liberal forum moderation wise than VT.

Fair price?

You're talking about something you obviously don't remember very well.

SWP was sold for £21m for a start. Secondly, Chelsea bid £20m which we rejected, SWP came forward with a transfer request and we sold for £21m to save a bit of face.

I know, I know. I suggest you read back through the forum and see how many times this sort of language is used to describe the Sheikh though. We warn people on Bluemoon for this sort of thing, and we're a far more liberal forum moderation wise than VT.

I can only apologise and hope the mods remove it, that kind of language aimed towards the Sheikh is totally unacceptable.