What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

I'd accept around £23 million, plus Ireland.

This.

And we would have the better deal IMO a very good replacement and money to spend.

Am I the only one who thinks Ireland is a talented yet lazy nutbar who is nothing like Milner and would certainly not work in a midfield two with Petrov? Ireland is not a like for like replacement for Milner in any shape or form, he is more of a Sidwellesque player.. though obviously better.

I can't think of ANYONE that would work well enough with Petrov to make us top4.

I don't think Ireland is 'Sidwellesque', he's far more attacking than Sidwell.

Much respec to Chorlton and the Wheelies.

Best kids TV ever :lol:

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

it just simply means we won't be plunging the club into debt just to spend loads of money.

How much debt do you think we are in?

Again, the debt we're in is manageable. That makes it within our means.

If I take a loan out to buy a new car and it costs me 100 quid a month, that's within my means, even though I'm in debt.

If I mortgage a mansion and it costs me 5 grand a month, that's not within my means.

I intended the phrase "plunging the club into debt" to imply significant debt that would cause us financial trouble.

If JM goes he will be a massive loss to Villa.

I look at Olympique Lyon and I don't think it's necessarily a massive loss to sell Milner.

Within the lifetime of nearly every poster on this site, they were a shit club in Ligue 2 and not well-supported in a major city. Now they're one of the top dozen or so clubs in Europe. How have they gotten there?

A major part of it is their willingness to tag a value on any one of their players and if they get an offer that exceeds that value (or if they get an offer that matches their value and the value is declining), then the player is gone. That tactic requires being a "selling club" a lot of the time, but it allows their capital to be continuously reallocated into more productive players.

Of course, whether we can do that successfully depends to a certain extent on the extent to which the management staff (possibly a staff of one) can get positive value from signings...

If JM goes he will be a massive loss to Villa.

I look at Olympique Lyon and I don't think it's necessarily a massive loss to sell Milner.

Within the lifetime of nearly every poster on this site, they were a shit club in Ligue 2 and not well-supported in a major city. Now they're one of the top dozen or so clubs in Europe. How have they gotten there?

A major part of it is their willingness to tag a value on any one of their players and if they get an offer that exceeds that value (or if they get an offer that matches their value and the value is declining), then the player is gone. That tactic requires being a "selling club" a lot of the time, but it allows their capital to be continuously reallocated into more productive players.

Of course, whether we can do that successfully depends to a certain extent on the extent to which the management staff (possibly a staff of one) can get positive value from signings...

A wholly reasoned and very sensible post. Get that filth out of here! :D

It is also a good example of how the term 'selling club' is abused. It is as relative as 'within means'. If there is a single club in the world that is bigger than you then a critic could describe you as a selling club if your better players are bought. An actual selling club, used in the proper sense, is a club that needs to sell players solely for the club to survive. Like Crewe Alexandra who almost exist to develop players for sale these days.

I think Spurs have used that Lyon tactic Levi, though they haven't had to come from quite as far down. For the last few years they have almost totally made a profit on every single player they bought and they have had to sell their best players on several occasions aswell.

I can't work out how to post a link on here properly but according to the Daily Mail tonight Villa are close to accepting 28 million for Milner.

I bloody well hope not...

You mean this?

James Milner expected to complete £28m move from Aston Villa to Manchester City

Manchester City and Aston Villa are close to agreeing a £28million deal for England midfielder James Milner.

The 24-year-old is expected to agree a five year deal at City worth around £80,000 a week.

Aware of the likely loss of one of their key players, Villa have attempted to soften the blow by preparing a move for attacking Anderlecht midfielder Mbark Boussoufa.

The 25-year old, Dutch-born but with 15 caps for Morocco, has been voted Belgium's player of the year for the past two seasons and is also a target for Hamburg and Bayer Leverkusen.

Villa are firm favourites to sign him for around £8million but that is unlikely to appease Martin O'Neill over the loss of Milner.

The Villa manager has already expressed concern over the extent of his transfer budget this summer, and having to sacrifice Milner will only heighten the sense of uncertainty over his own future.

No quotes again. Looks like an absolute pile of crap to me.

Firstly I would much prefer we keep him but if we are to sell we should wait until after the WC and hope someone else comes in for him i.e Man United.

Whilst the money is pretty good selling to a close rival for a champions league spot for me is a massive no no for me.£30mil will be feck all if they qualify for the champs league on the back of signing Milner.

I think this is pure tripe to be honest, Fabio Capello left no doubt that he wanted his players to abstain from any transfer talk or negotiations until AFTER the WC was over, and I somehow tend to think that Jimmy wouldn't be stupid enough to disobey that directive.

Bollocks in my opinion.

yet I may be wrong.

we'll see.