What would you do?  

468 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• £30m or more to Citeh
    • £30m or more to Chelsea
    • £30m or more to Man United
    • No sale under any realistic circumstances
    • £30m or more to whoever wants him

Manchester City will make a take-it-or-leave-it £25million bid for Aston Villa’s James Milner after the World Cup.

City, who had a £20m offer for the midfielder rejected before England flew out to South Africa, will test the Midlands club’s resolve again when the tournament ends.

But City’s football ­administrator Brian ­Marwood is unlikely to go higher if Villa show more reluctance to do business.

Boss Roberto ­Mancini wants to add ­Milner’s ­energy and ability to play in a number of positions.

But City’s Abu Dhabi backers are refusing to be held to ransom over ­transfer fees and wages after running into a storm of criticism with their spending spree last ­summer.

A City insider said: “It’s been a frustrating time, but the owner, chairman and chief executive are adamant that they will not pay over-inflated prices.”

“The fact we aren’t in the Champions League has had a huge affect on plans, but so to has the determination to get ­good value.”

From todays Mirror

Take it or leave it???

Easy - leave it !!!!

If only was that simple, if they make that offer, and Milner says he wants to leave, take the money and move on. I think he wants the move, he could have put all this speculation to bed long before now, but he's decided not to, Barry did the same.

I would understand him wanting to leave in the long run. Although at the moment, all they can offer him that we can't, is money, but with their endless amounts of money, they stand a much better chance of eventually making the Champions League, and thats where Milner wants to be playing his football.

• Replies 5.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man City are undervaluing Milner. That's the conversation I'd be having with him. How much do they REALLY want you James if that's all they value you at? You're better off staying with a club that value at the level that Villa do.

They'll pay what MON tells them to pay, or they can feck off.

No need for that Rich. Let's face it, it's not rocket science, ALL PLAYERS WANT TO PLAY CL FOOTBALL. It's a complete no brainer.

Even Titus Bramble. Who has.

There is more in it for the player than money.

City will win the title in the next four or five years, can we offer that? Could we offer it to Gareth Barry? The answer is no.

City pay big wages, they can afford to, and paying those wages makes them an attractive proposition, but they aren't alone in being able to do that.

If I were a European player at the moment being offered £40k a week by Villa and £40k a week by City and I wanted to win things I'd choose City.

How come we're happy enough with the idea of Chelsea doing this but not City?

Did Downing have his head turned by our money? Did Cuellar? Did Petrov? Those players all had stronger ties with their old clubs than Milner has to us, have they got no integrity?

This isn't about Milner's integrity, or about football gone bad, this is about our inability to realise that City are now a bigger club than we are. It's a horrible thing to have to face up to, but the sooner we make the adjustment the better.

I havent got a problem with admitting city are now a bigger club, a more attractive proposition for players, and likely to win the league within the next few years..

What I do have a problem with, is Milner is a player who we over paid for at the time, with the majority of newcastle fans laughing at us..

Since then he's been played week in week out, has been given the stability and freedom to develop, all the while having the chance to compete near the top end of thwe table and sample cup finals and european football.

Now that Man City show up the fact he seems happy to jump ship straight away is dissapointing to say the least. Its not the same situation as Milner or even Downing joining us, or even Petrov or Cuellar, for a start they were either in a lesser foreign league, the championship and hadnt a hope in hell of competing near the top or in europe for the forseeable future. We on the other hand are quite close, are ambitious, are are moving forward year on year and have come within touching distance of the champions league for 2 seasons in a row. For me, a player with intergrity, would stick it out here abit longer before deciding to jump ship.

Barry was a good few years older and was running out of time to play at the highest level. Milner is alot younger and has much more time on his hands.

Yep I know that is the way of the modern player and its the norm these days, I guess I just always thought / hoped that Milner was abit different to the mercanary footballers our league is full of. And after blossoming with us thanks to the faith O'Neils shown in him, I guess I just hoped he would stick around for more than a couple of years and not jump ship the first time a 'big' club came a knocking...

Besides its all conjecture anyway, Im still not totally convinced he actually wants to leave for City anyway. I expect he has had his head turned more by the rumours Man Utd and Chelsea are looking at him...

Besides its all conjecture anyway, Im still not totally convinced he actually wants to leave for City anyway.

Me either.

I actually think it's very possible that the player would like to stay for another season both to see where we're headed and because he does have a certain loyalty to us.

That option wouldn't be acceptable to the club I'd have thought as his value would be significantly lower next summer than this.

I think he'll either sign a new contract or the club will actively seek buyers for him. I think City know that and are waiting to see how long we'll keep up our strong defence of his value if other offers aren't forthcoming.

He has as you rightly say been given the opportunity, the support and the encouragement to develop as a player whilst he's been here, he's also a player who said when he came here that one of the reasons he joined was for the stability he hadn't had at his other clubs.

If he had three years left on his contract I don't think there would even be a conversation, but with two years remaining he has a decision to make and I'm not sure 'one more year' is an option that's open to him.

I'd love to see him sign for four or five more years - if he doesn't then it's important we sell him quickly and get as much for him as we can.

I don't want him to stay another season without signing a new contract this summer.

Very good point - if we wait until next summer, he has one year left, and even if he has the best season of his life next, without signing that contract we cannot expect more than £15m bids next summer.

If he doesnt sign a contract, i would be more inclined to take £25m this summer.

maybe it's not City that we need to worry about .....

If City want him then we should be worrying about City I'd have thought, they can outbid Chelsea or United and we are likely to turn down all but the largest bid.

If we can sell a player for £30m, then why can't we buy one for the same ?

over to you Randy

who would join us that would cost £30m?

If we can sell a player for £30m, then why can't we buy one for the same ?

over to you Randy

Because players worth that much will want to play for bigger clubs or be wanted by bigger clubs.

kind of what i alluded to in my post BJ.

Simply not going to happen, at this point.

Interestingly the 'take it or leave offer' by Man City was reported as £25m in the Sunday Mirror and is now £27m according to the Star. Meanwhile Mancini is on the beach in Sardinia (pic in the Sunday Times). I love these in depth stoies!!

Interestingly the 'take it or leave offer' by Man City was reported as £25m in the Sunday Mirror and is now £27m according to the Star. Meanwhile Mancini is on the beach in Sardinia (pic in the Sunday Times). I love these in depth stoies!!

Did he have the scarf on in the beach?