The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

6 hours ago, hogso said:

I'm also really disappointed by the music in general, the actual entrance music,

This is the one area WWE has always been head and shoulders above anyone.  Largely in part to Jim Johnstone.  When WCW was dominant, the original entrance themes didn't come close.

Even since JJ's departure the quality of entrances themes and ease with which to associate them with the wrestler is still high.

• 2 weeks later...
Spoiler

So what do you do when your company is generally doing well and making interesting matches? You take the title if the man carrying raw at the moment Rollins and hand the title back to a part time champion brick lesnar.

vince really is a bloody idiot

• Thanks 1

Moxley in GCW is happening 

Vs Josh Barnett, which is a heck of a match up. 

This also potentially opens the door for a return to the ultra violent scene, maybe a match against Gage for the strap, against whom he had some pretty gruesome matches in CZW. Maybe he'd do a one off date, perhaps even the NGI tournament, who knows. 

Weaving his political leanings, which he wears on his sleeve and has done for an awfully long time, as a means to explain his poor G1 performance via promo is  simply delightful. I was terribly disappointed he didn't beat Okada and thus book a title match at Royal Quest, which I'm attending, but this is on the way to making up for it. ZSJ v Ospreay British title match instead perhaps? 

• 2 weeks later...

G1 finale yesterday, and boy did it deliver. The final itself was terrific, but elsewhere on the card was the set up for the main and semi matches for Royal Quest, plus quite possibly the greatest combined heel turn and comeback of an inactive wrestler I've seen...ever? 

Spoiler

KENTA refuses to participate in a 6 man tag versus Bullet Club when teaming with Yoshi Hashi and Ishii. Then turns on Ishii to hand Tama Tonga the win, and formally joins BC...which causes Shibata to hit the ring and beat the shit out of KENTA, until the numbers are too much. 

Shibata, in the ring, doing Shibata stuff. Amazing. I imagine this is to set up a match at WK, but who knows. I winced everytime Shibata touched the mat. 

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty wild weekend of wrestling - who saw NXT UK Takeover or AEW All Out? I haven't caught up yet, but I did see GCW 2 Cups Stuffed (plus the Japanese GCW shows which were insane) , and as mentioned previously, attended NJPW Royal Quest. 

It was incredible to see a proper New Japan show in person, with Ospreay/Eagles v ELP/Ishimori, Ishii v KENTA, ZSJ v Tanahashi all being great, and Okada v Suzuki simply the best match I've ever seen in person. 

• 3 weeks later...

My favourite thing in pro wrestling at the moment is the running rivalry between Minoru Suzuki and Jushin Thunder Liger. 

Suzuki has been taunting Liger for months, with the assumption being that it could be a prelude to Liger's retirement match/es at WK next year. 

Last weekend in Kagoshima, Suzuki ripped off Liger's mask, posed with it like a sick trophy, and well and truly flipped a switch for Liger. 

Yesterday in Kobe, Suzuki's wish was granted

He repeated spots as Kishin from when Liger debuted Kishin against Muta in 1996, trying to murder Suzuki with a spike for example. Really looking forward to seeing where it goes next. 

Season Premiere of RAW tonight and it's promising to be a bit of a reset. Now it's not a complete reset as the Hell in a Cell PPV is this Sunday so story lines have to continue, but for WWE this whole week is likely what they needed to make it all feel fresh again.

So what we should be expecting is an all new commentary team, new logo, new staging and a new look and feel to the show. WWE are also abolishing the "no pyro" rule that was enforced as a cost-saving method starting with tonight's RAW, so the bombast and over the top nature of entrances should come back starting tonight.

I know WWE have let the fans down a lot over the last few years, but I'm looking forward to RAW tonight and SmackDown on Friday. WWE feels rejuvenated by the FOX deal and hopefully they can capitalise on it.  

On 30/09/2019 at 20:54, Daweii said:

Season Premiere of RAW tonight and it's promising to be a bit of a reset. Now it's not a complete reset as the Hell in a Cell PPV is this Sunday so story lines have to continue, but for WWE this whole week is likely what they needed to make it all feel fresh again.

So what we should be expecting is an all new commentary team, new logo, new staging and a new look and feel to the show. WWE are also abolishing the "no pyro" rule that was enforced as a cost-saving method starting with tonight's RAW, so the bombast and over the top nature of entrances should come back starting tonight.

I know WWE have let the fans down a lot over the last few years, but I'm looking forward to RAW tonight and SmackDown on Friday. WWE feels rejuvenated by the FOX deal and hopefully they can capitalise on it.  

Was ok not great. Found the whole lana lashley thing wierd.  If i was rusev I'd be asking for a release on that storyline. 

I'm expecting for hotc wyatt wins title before he goes on to find with strowman. 

I think nia jax will be returning very shortly also and expect the feud with lynch finally after she hurt lynch a while ago.

Have Heyman and Bischoff started their leaderships yet? Because it isnt noticeable and it's all just as shit as ever. The Rusev/Lana crap is just embarrassing Russo level garbage. 

Even AEW seem to have dropped off the radar lately. Apart from NXT (and that's gone flat recently for me as well) I'm not enjoying much else at the mo.

I was never big into Wrestling, just knew a few of the more comical performers as some of my mates were huge fans. ("my name is finlay and I love to fight" etc)

Have you guys heard of Cameo? It's a site where you pay sports starts to record and send you a personalised message. I did one for a mate a while ago with Carlton Cole as he was the only (very tenuous) Charlton link I could find on there.

There are some good names on their wrestlers page. What WWE fan wouldn't want to receive a surprise text with Mark Henry wishing them a happy birthday?! And what a good use of $80.

Edited by Sam-AVFC

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Have Heyman and Bischoff started their leaderships yet? Because it isnt noticeable and it's all just as shit as ever. The Rusev/Lana crap is just embarrassing Russo level garbage. 

Even AEW seem to have dropped off the radar lately. Apart from NXT (and that's gone flat recently for me as well) I'm not enjoying much else at the mo.

AEW start their live TV show tonight. This is technically the start of the promotion, because everything before this was just thrown together PPV's/Events to kill time while they waited for October. Tonight when AEW Dynamite airs, it will mark the beginning of storylines that the company may follow for months. 

As for WWE. Heyman and Bischoff started in their roles a couple months ago. That said with SmackDown moving to FOX, I think that has delayed Bischoff taking over fully. FOX want SmackDown to be a more sports oriented product so if changes to writing are planned, they may as well wait until Friday to unveil that. RAW on the other hand has been almost 100% under Heyman's control for 6-7 weeks at this point and it is what it is, I guess. I'm not a fan of his cuckold story line that involves not just Rusev, Lana and Lashley, but also Maria and Mike Kanellis, it's a mess of a story and it's just awkward. The best part of RAW for the last two months has been Bray Wyatt/The Fiend and that character is 100% Bray Wyatt's creation, so WWE can't even take credit for it.    

Edited by Daweii

Â