The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

8 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Anybody notice hangman page performing a few of Marty Scrull’s moves at revolution kick off the apron and chicken wing? I know Marty has signed a massive contract with ROH and is now head booker, but due to so many hidden references to him as of late wandering if RoH and AEW might form a working relationship? 

I don't think it's anything that specific. They were Bullet Club stable mates after all, I felt it was a call back to that (like Kenny using the Phoenix Splash with regards to Ibushi). 

I went to the NXT UK tapings in Cov on Saturday night. Decent stuff, Balor was there, we had a 20 man battle royal for the number one contendership, and it brought my attention to a guy called Ridge Holland who is kinda like a Yorkshire Brock Lesnar. He had a singles match against Walter, and was throwing him around all over the place. Haven't seen anyone booked like that against him for a long time. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Amazing promo from Jake

It was brilliant. 

In a way shows you how far WWE has fallen. The promos they do are so pathetic and childish. 

Just Jake's voice had me invested straight away.

12 hours ago, DCJonah said:

It was brilliant. 

In a way shows you how far WWE has fallen. The promos they do are so pathetic and childish. 

Just Jake's voice had me invested straight away.

Indeed, I shrug every time WWE brings a legend back for a promo or anybody in general,  Just they same old crap that doesn't make sense the occasional returning DX stuff is cringe worthy! 

AEW and NWA with occasional ROH is all the wrestling I need

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

Indeed, I shrug every time WWE brings a legend back for a promo or anybody in general,

Agree in the main but I make an exception for Stone Cold who is going to be on Raw next week.

• Like 1

On 10/03/2020 at 13:01, Wainy316 said:

Agree in the main but I make an exception for Stone Cold who is going to be on Raw next week.

I can't wait to see Stone Cold come out to an empty arena, it's going to be comically anti-climactic. 

Wrestling is going to be weird for the next few months. The crowd even when super dead and not into the match add something that is missing when they aren't there as Smackdown showed last night. 

Empty arena works as a gimmick for a one off match. But an entire event would suffer badly.

It's not like a normal sport where the crowd is incidental. Wrestling is specifically designed to play to the crowd and play off the crowd.

I'd go as far as to say it simply won't work without a crowd. Part of why WWE is so shit these days, imo, is because the crowd is so dead so often. To remove it completely would ruin it.

That SD episode although i appreciate their effort to entertain just seemed lame.

Seeing jeff hardy return with no fans wasnt great. The best oartvwas watching triple h just be goofy. 

3hrs tonight with no fans this will flop spectacularly. 

In my opinion they should make the shows more entertaining by doing skmething different. Have like a random four person tag team lottery vs another four to keep us entertained 

Also surely this means WM will be cancelled now? If they have it in a empty arena it will be flop big time.  Just pointless

It's absolutely rubbish, all the events just need to be cancelled. It raises a massive issue (not that wrestling is any different to other sport / TV / etc in the respect) about how you deal with the return of it (not to mention the contractual obligations)...treat it as a reset, vacate the titles, carry on as if nothing has happened...?

WrestleTalk have put on a free, empty venue show this evening streaming live on YouTube. The main event is Will Ospreay v Bea Priestley - they're a couple. Will is the current RevPro champ, Bea is the currently one half of the Goddesses of Stardom. Ist also effectively NJPW v AEW. Worth a look. 

WrestleMania 36 is going to continue as planned albeit on a smaller scale than originally anticipated.

The grandest stage of them all will take place this year on the smallest stage of them all at the WWE Performance Center.

That's right, all 7+ hours of WrestleMania will happen in a tiny venue to zero fans.  

6 hours ago, Daweii said:

WrestleMania 36 is going to continue as planned albeit on a smaller scale than originally anticipated.

The grandest stage of them all will take place this year on the smallest stage of them all at the WWE Performance Center.

That's right, all 7+ hours of WrestleMania will happen in a tiny venue to zero fans.  

Are you serious?? Ridiculous its going ti be a utter flop. Watched a bit of raw this morning it was just lame with no fans. 

People are going to struggle watching 4hrs+ with no fans. They are bettee off postponing and doing a few months time 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Are you serious?? Ridiculous its going ti be a utter flop. Watched a bit of raw this morning it was just lame with no fans. 

People are going to struggle watching 4hrs+ with no fans. They are bettee off postponing and doing a few months time 

It's going to be painful to watch. I can stand about an hour of WWE without crowd interaction, and it seems that WWE know that about an hour is the limit too.

Smackdown on Friday was about an hour of original content and then the remainder was them showing the entire Tag Team Elimination Chamber match from a couple Sundays ago.

RAW was the same. It was an hour of original content and then 2 hours of it (with adverts) showing the entire Mens Royal Rumble match from earlier this year.

If WWE themselves can't fill 2-3 hours with engaging content that isn't boring without fans then how do they fill 7+ hours? WrestleMania usually drags after about 6 hours even with the fans going crazy, it's going to be painful on April 5th. 

Edited by Daweii

38 minutes ago, Daweii said:

It's going to be painful to watch. I can stand about an hour of WWE without crowd interaction, and it seems that WWE know that about an hour is the limit too.

Smackdown on Friday was about an hour of original content and then the remainder was them showing the entire Tag Team Elimination Chamber match from a couple Sundays ago.

RAW was the same. It was an hour of original content and then 2 hours of it (with adverts) showing the entire Mens Royal Rumble match from earlier this year.

If WWE themselves can't fill 2-3 hours with engaging content that isn't boring without fans then how do they fill 7+ hours? WrestleMania usually drags after about 6 hours even with the fans going crazy, it's going to be painful on April 5th. 

Also think about when the wrestlers talk to each other. In a empty arena we will hear it.

Perosnally they would have been better have something different.  Maybe having a wwe quiz.

Have superstars go up against each other in a quiz about questions about themselves in wwe. 

That be more entertaining that watching this. It was so lame.

On 17/03/2020 at 14:49, Demitri_C said:

Also think about when the wrestlers talk to each other. In a empty arena we will hear it.

Especially John Cena. His match against The Fiend is going to be interesting. You can hear Cena talking his opponent through the match in an arena full of 70,000 fans going wild, it's going to be very interesting to see how his match at WrestleMania goes.

I was never the biggest wrestling fan and I only really watched any of it in the Attitude era of WWE, which probably sets a high bar for anything to follow because, well, that was a bit lightning in a bottle where everything was on point with the best people at their best.

But, having nothing better to do and, frankly, sitting bored eating pizza, I watched an AEW show from the other week. I'd heard it's the closest thing to the Attitude era there is these days.

...It's... not really is it? It's a bit Happy Shopper WWE. It kinda feels like the seconds of the premier brand, done on a budget. Now I know WWE is supposedly completely awful these days, so I can absolutely believe this is the best pro wrestling game in town these days. But everyone seemed to be the guys that 20 years ago McMahon would have laughed out of town. Pretty much nobody has that intangible star factor that WWE headliners had.

You can also kinda tell it's done to a budget. The promo stuff is bedroom tinkerer standard, the costumes and outfits are laughable. I saw a tag match with some guys called Dark Order, with one bloke, who was a dreadful wrestler (you'll never see worse kicks to a guy on the turnbuckle), who had a mask on that was pound shop bad. A bloke with half skull face paint seemed to being pushed as one of the more promising gimmick guys. The commentary is appalling as well, sounding bored and tired and completely unable to sell the action.

On the plus side most of the actual wrestling seemed fairly good. Some of the... antics, like you always expect with a heel team in a tag, like those Dark Order guys, was over done to **** to the extent of being genuinely bad, but otherwise it was pretty well done. Not sure about wheeling Jake Roberts out mind, supported by by Just for Men and barely able to get in the ring, but he obviously knows the game inside out.

I dunno. It's not for me really. This isn't my world and when it was I was watching an unusual peak. I guess there's all the signs there's something there, but it obviously needs cash hurled at it. Until then it's going to a be a bit home brand feeling.

UPDATE ON WRESTLEMANIA 

Two night event, April 4th and 5th. 

This doesn't fix the fact that they're doing WrestleMania in the Performance Center to zero fans, but it does fix the whole 6-7 hour show issue somewhat.

Two 3+ hour shows is much better than a single 7+ hour show that will feel three times longer than that with no fans. 

7 hours ago, Daweii said:

UPDATE ON WRESTLEMANIA 

Two night event, April 4th and 5th. 

This doesn't fix the fact that they're doing WrestleMania in the Performance Center to zero fans, but it does fix the whole 6-7 hour show issue somewhat.

Two 3+ hour shows is much better than a single 7+ hour show that will feel three times longer than that with no fans. 

This is going to be a utter flop

• Like 1

Â