The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Money innit. I imagine the Saudis demanded the match up so they got it.

One of the funniest matches to watch is William Regal beating the absolute spit out of Goldberg :D 

Haha was ruining through my mind as I was writing the above post, legendary. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bizarre to match them tbh, Undertaker is ancient and needs a really good 'worker' to make him look remotely decent these days. Goldberg could never really wrestle in the first place and has never, ever made someone look good, always was highly limited in what he could do so why would that be any different at 50 odd years old.

Happeed ten years too late. Waiting for them to annouce hulk Hogan vs Ricky the Dragon steamboat at next year's wrestle mania

Edited by Demitri_C

So just caught up with the highlights of Stomping Grounds, albeit a youtube 35 minute highlight package, but it looked really good.  Matches were of high quality and length, this didn't seem like a Vince PPV, more like a HHH PPV. I actually liked every single match, never have I ever said that for quite some time. 

Loved the Lacey Evans as referee angle, great booking! 

I have to admit I did predict it sod be a woman but thought be Charlotte.  Lacey is terrible as is Corbin.

I think this is filler until jax returns as the jax-lynch feud could en3 epic after their recent history where has injured her.

Spoiler

Have to say did not expect go see undertaker tonight! Good to see him back on a normal show and doing something other than talk waffle about people resting in peace.

Vince McMahon needs to go as he's killing this company. This new "evolution" of the product where he won't allow wrestling during commercial breaks is doing my head in. I think I have seen more elimination matches and more 2-out-of-3 falls matches in the last two weeks than I have in two years. I understand WWE is a shit format for this commercial heavy world we now live in, but making every match have a stipulation that allows for downtime doesn't fix the problem. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

3500 at Mondays Raw :o. There are house shows that do better than that. Embarrassing.

It's insane. Stomping Grounds or whatever they called it was way less than half full as well. The Tacoma Dome can hold 18,000 for wrestling events and reports suggest attendance was around 6000, but only around 4000 paid to get in. WWE panicked last minute and started offering buy one get on free deals and in some cases were just giving tickets away. Yet despite practically giving tickets away, they only managed 6000 fans in a 18,000 capacity venue.

Spoiler

r5fVwz8.jpg

Those tarps must be loaded, they bought out the entire side of an arena to watch Stomping Grounds... 

19 hours ago, Daweii said:

It's insane. Stomping Grounds or whatever they called it was way less than half full as well. The Tacoma Dome can hold 18,000 for wrestling events and reports suggest attendance was around 6000, but only around 4000 paid to get in. WWE panicked last minute and started offering buy one get on free deals and in some cases were just giving tickets away. Yet despite practically giving tickets away, they only managed 6000 fans in a 18,000 capacity venue.

Sheeeeeeit, that's like the final days of WCW.

Too many bloody ppvs.  Your killing the product. 

I remember before it was

Royal rumble

Wrestlemania

Summerslam

Survivor series

And an odd ppl here and there.

Now every month or even twice a month there is a ppv. On top of a 3hr raw shoe the people are getting fed up and bored. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Sheeeeeeit, that's like the final days of WCW.

It's end of days for sure right now.

Also as previously stated there were 3500 at RAW this week, 6000 at Stomping Grounds and now the Smackdown Live preliminary figures are in with reports stating that the live attendance was between 2000 and 2500. 

Also to keep in line with the whole WCW thing. WWE have just announced that Eric Bischoff will be the executive producer of Smackdown Live, and Paul Heyman will be the executive producer of RAW. So in 2019 we now have the former President of WCW running Smackdown and the former Owner of ECW running RAW. All we need now is Vince Russo to return as Head of Creative and we're firmly back in 1998 again. 

21 hours ago, Daweii said:

It's end of days for sure right now.

Also as previously stated there were 3500 at RAW this week, 6000 at Stomping Grounds and now the Smackdown Live preliminary figures are in with reports stating that the live attendance was between 2000 and 2500. 

Also to keep in line with the whole WCW thing. WWE have just announced that Eric Bischoff will be the executive producer of Smackdown Live, and Paul Heyman will be the executive producer of RAW. So in 2019 we now have the former President of WCW running Smackdown and the former Owner of ECW running RAW. All we need now is Vince Russo to return as Head of Creative and we're firmly back in 1998 again. 

Bischoff is back?? Expect lots of stables being formed and invasions. He loves a invasion does Eric.

As for heyman that's a interesting one.

Really he should be having triple h the guy knows how to build a brand look at nxt 

yeah wish ~Triple H was involved more, but hopefully exciting times, but you just know Vince will still be in the back, throwing last minute instructions to the referees, ruining story lines.  Bet nothing much will change.

Yep it's all just a transparent distraction to win a few more people back. Heyman and Bischoff will still have to answer and attempt to please an audience of one: Vince. If Vince doesn't like what they come up with then he will just click his fingers and go with what he thinks he knows is best, i.e the same stale shite he's been serving up for years. 

Can see HHH leaving in a few years. Vince seems to be trying to trip him up at every turn lately.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Bischoff is back?? Expect lots of stables being formed and invasions. He loves a invasion does Eric.

As for heyman that's a interesting one.

Really he should be having triple h the guy knows how to build a brand look at nxt 

I have a feeling Triple H isn't involved because they don't want to dilute ideas. The issue with Vince isn't that he necessarily has bad ideas, it's that he spreads himself too thin so his ideas are undercooked. He's writing and re-writing for both RAW and Smackdown when ideally he should be doing nothing. So hopefully Bischoff and Heyman are in that Triple H position. Triple H has 100% control over NXT and it's great. Hopefully Vince lets Bischoff and Heyman has as close to 100% control over their respective sides of things.

Also just to correct my initial post. They are taking the role of Executive Directors of RAW (Heyman) and Smackdown (Bischoff). So even higher up the hierarchy than mere Executive Producer. Apparently they had to hold a vote between the Board of Directors to create that job role within upper management. So at the very least these are some legit upper management roles which gives me hope that Vince won't just steamroll their ideas. Then again all I hear from insiders is that Triple H is constantly livid because of last minute changes so who knows.

On 27/06/2019 at 14:19, Demitri_C said:

Too many bloody ppvs.  Your killing the product. 

I remember before it was

Royal rumble

Wrestlemania

Summerslam

Survivor series

And an odd ppl here and there.

Now every month or even twice a month there is a ppv. On top of a 3hr raw shoe the people are getting fed up and bored. 

It was always one PPV a month during the Attitude era. Well, at least from late '98 onwards. I don't think that's the issue.

What turned me off at the time was the brand split and the bloated roster.

Edited by Stevo985

Oh my God, AEW's Fyter Fest was absolutely insane.  I mean....how?? Wtfff some of the shit they did was insane, fresh talent, exciting matches. Everything WWE currently isn't 

If you love wrestling you need to watch this

As a hardcore WWE fan gotta say but sorry WWE you're the B show right now.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2019 at 16:00, supermon said:

Oh my God, AEW's Fyter Fest was absolutely insane.  I mean....how?? Wtfff some of the shit they did was insane, fresh talent, exciting matches. Everything WWE currently isn't 

If you love wrestling you need to watch this

As a hardcore WWE fan gotta say but sorry WWE you're the B show right now.

I'm going to assume on the basis of this you weren't familiar with too many of the wrestlers. 

Who in particular stood out to you? 

I was really pleased with the showing for Darby Allin, and curious about Moxley. This is clearly and purposefully a completely different Moxley to that in NJPW. Similarly brutal, but on the evidence of that single match (and ring gear), less of a wrestler. It's been reported he is a big fan of Japanese wrestling, and as such he'll understand that NJPW fans wouldn't stand for what he was in AEW. But his NJPW self is perfect for that fan base, really. 

Fyterfest was another good example of a group of matches showcasing different styles. The 6 man tag match was probably the closest thing to a signature PWG match outside of PWG, well, ever. Rhodes / Allin was a great underdog wrestling match, and the main event was a signal of intent with regards to...'weapons' matches? Hardcore? I'm hesitant to call them deathmatches, but whatever the case, they're clearly going to be part of AEW. 

At this point the shows are fun, but lacking in the long term storylines and booking which is inescapable for a promotion which is 2/3 events old. I'm also really disappointed by the music in general, the actual entrance music, and the way they're using the live feed from inside the arena. Sounds pretty terrible. 

The commentary team really had their shit together this time round. Excalibar is soooo good, and oddly, unlike his occasional stints with NJPW, JR compliments his co-commentators nicely. 

Short list of guys and girls who I'd like to see appear in AEW in time for the TV show, who as far as I know can appear;

Chris Dickinson

Candy Floss 

Tony Deppen

Allie Kat

John Silver

Orange Cassidy (please god) 

Mike Bailey (they've got enough money to sort out his visa issues, he hasn't been able to wrestle in America for 5 years, I think?) 

G1 starts in Texas tomorrow! Without Moxley because he can't compete on US soil for anyone other than AEW. 

Anyone know where you can watch the two AEW shows online? I'd like to check it out. Seems to be making a stir.

Legally of course. Although my PM's are open...

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

Anyone know where you can watch the two AEW shows online? I'd like to check it out. Seems to be making a stir.

Legally of course. Although my PM's are open...

The Fite TV app. It's a really good resource for wrestling and mma, but it isn't particularly cheap. Well, I suppose that depends on your own personal preference, but being an awful wrestling fan who pirates 90% of stuff, I wouldn't dream of paying £8-£15 for a three hour show. 

There do seem to be a lot of free show codes going around though, everytime GCW announce a show I see stuff on twitter confirming live streams on Fite tv, and a code for your first one being free. Shouldn't be hard to find one. 

The free shows are on ITV4 too, so something to bear in mind. The pre-shows are on Fite TV as well for free. 

• Thanks 1

Â