The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

In an alternate universe where Moxley never left CZW, he and Janela probably traded the world title in a similar way that Janela and Lio Rush did with the wired title. Now we get to see what those matches might have looked like, and so soon in to AEW history. Very interesting stuff. 

For anyone who hasn't seen much of Darby Allin yet, his match against Cody should be great. 

In other Moxley news, he has an official match signed against Juice for the US title - on 5th June at the BOSJ finals! The prospect of him then appearing at NJPW Royal Quest at the Copper Box at the end of August might shift the remaining tickets too. 

On 30/05/2019 at 04:24, omariqy said:

Moxley burying Vince on Jericho's podcast. This reminds me of the monday night wars. 

I am just listening to the podcast right now. Should be a very entertaining hour and 30 minutes.

Also Side note: how good is Jericho with interviewing? I remember listening to his interview with Jinder (heh, yeah I know) and he gives a really good insight behind the scenes in the wrestling industry. 

I didn't expect i'd listen to as much of that interview as I did, really interesting stuff.

I don't really have the time to watch wrestling anymore but i'll probably follow AEW pretty closely, hopefully they can get a bit of a bigger foothold than TNA managed and really challenge WWE. Certainly getting the likes of Jericho and Moxley on board is huge

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

I didn't expect i'd listen to as much of that interview as I did, really interesting stuff.

I don't really have the time to watch wrestling anymore but i'll probably follow AEW pretty closely, hopefully they can get a bit of a bigger foothold than TNA managed and really challenge WWE. Certainly getting the likes of Jericho and Moxley on board is huge

AEW have likely the biggest chance to be a true alternative to WWE since WCW was in its prime in the mid-90's. Here is just a small tale of the tape to put the two in comparison;

WWE RAW and Smackdown air in the US on the USA Network which is in 89 million homes. AEW will air in the US starting October 2019 on TNT which is in 90 million homes.

WWE RAW and Smackdown air in the UK later this year on BT Sports which is in 2.5 million homes. AEW will air in the UK starting October 2019 on ITV4 which is in 28.5 million homes.

AEW are also working on deals in Canada, Germany, Australia and others, and if their current two deals are anything to go by they will be huge deals too. 

Anything can happen in the next few years, but AEW have the financial backing to be the biggest thing ever in a few years if they play it right. It's a very exciting time to be a wrestling fan big or small. 

• Like 1

Juice V Moxley took place earlier today at the Best of Super Juniors final - and it delivered. 

It's unclear exactly how much this will represent Moxley in AEW, after all, if you view Jericho's match at DoN versus his recent NJPW matches, they're very different (as will his match against Okada this weekend I'm sure) 

Curiosly, though, this was more about making Juice look like a star than it was the debut of Moxley. New Japan have been hot on Juice for a very long time now, and this could prove something of a turning point for him. It'd be good to see him step up and challenge for the Openweight title at some point soon. 

The match itself was a hard hitting, less than technical brawl, and it had been billed as such prior to the event, so for that it certainly did exactly what was expected of it. Clearly Juice had given instructions to Moxley that he had to get busted open hard way, to make it convincing. And goodness me was it ever. The dude is going to be barely able to move tomorrow morning. 

Could we see a repeat of the match at the G1? Having Moxley take part would be a huge deal for New Japan, and with it kicking off on the states it makes even more sense. Throwing him in to a block with the likes of Naito, Okada, Ishii, Suzuki, Goto...it'd be unmissable. 

The whole show is definitely worth checking out, especially the BoSJ final itself between Takagi and Ospreay. Also worth getting a sub if you haven't already with Dominion at the weekend. 

• Like 1

Might have to check it out as wwe absolutely sucks at the moment. I knew as soon a sthey gave mitb to lesnar it would go Utter shit again. With lesnar they should have changed his charchter as the monster heel has gone stale. When he wss a face back in the day his charchter was pretty good. 

I think a lashley or mcintyre feud with lesnar would be good. I actually enjoyed the Samoa Joe lesnar feud alot more than these reigns/rollings ones. 

Edited by Demitri_C

Dominion card for Sunday has been announced - it opens with Jon Moxley v Shota Umino. 

Umino is a young lion, and this will be the New Japan equivalent of a squash. Young Lions never beat anyone other than Young Lions, but this won't be one way traffic. It's a way to demonstrate how far Shota has come in his training, and to show off the famous NJPW fighting spirit. 

Very minor subplot to this one, Moxley was pretty disrespectful to Red Shoes Uno during his match with Juice - Red Shoes is the most famous, and best, NJPW referee. Shota is his son. 

The rest of the card is great too, lots of plot lines running through all of them, with the intriguing inclusion of Taguchi, Juice and Tana versus a Bullet Club trio featuring Jay White. Is it too obvious that Juice will turn and join BC? Or will they run some sort of angle with Moxley and maybe even Robbie Eagles and have all three of them beat down BC? 

Potential event of the year material. 

35 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Anyone see the undertaker- Goldberg match? If you havent watch it. 

It is absolutely embarrassing.

I saw the highlights... or the lowlights may be a better word.

Looks like they almost killed each other. And not in a "oh my god what a match! They almost killed each other" kind of way. More in a they literally nearly killed each other kind of way

Seems Goldberg has taken most of the responsibility. Said he got a concussion and thought he could carry on as normal but it **** everything up.

The tombstone seemed particularly scary.

Edited by Stevo985

1 hour ago, Stevo985 said:

I saw the highlights... or the lowlights may be a better word.

Looks like they almost killed each other. And not in a "oh my god what a match! They almost killed each other" kind of way. More in a they literally nearly killed each other kind of way

Seems Goldberg has taken most of the responsibility. Said he got a concussion and thought he could carry on as normal but it **** everything up.

The tombstone seemed particularly scary.

A match that was tens years too late. It was shocking and dangerous.  They could have ended each other's careers.

Neither man any right to wrestle anymore esp Goldberg he looked like a old man with his wrestling manoeuvres.

I haven’t watched any wrestling shows in a long time but have stumbled upon Bray Wyatt’s Firefly Funhouse segments on YouTube. They’re absolute genius IMO. They seem to be getting better and better with each episode. There’s so much attention to detail in the attempts to make it unsettling. It’s legitimately entertaining.

Don't know why goldberg is getting the majority of the blame. It was 50/50 for me. He messed up the jackhammer and nearly killed Taker, Taker messed up the Tombstosne and nearly killed Bill. Both have no business being in the ring anymore. Father Time caught up with them 10 years ago let alone now. 

Watching Taker is embarrassing and I say that as one of his biggest fans over the last 30 years. He needs to stop. Appearances with the odd chokeslam? Fine. Matches? Nope. Not interested anymore and haven't been since WMXXX.

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

Don't know why goldberg is getting the majority of the blame. It was 50/50 for me. He messed up the jackhammer and nearly killed Taker, Taker messed up the Tombstosne and nearly killed Bill. Both have no business being in the ring anymore. Father Time caught up with them 10 years ago let alone now. 

Watching Taker is embarrassing and I say that as one of his biggest fans over the last 30 years. He needs to stop. Appearances with the odd chokeslam? Fine. Matches? Nope. Not interested anymore and haven't been since WMXXX.

Still, at least they were doing it for a good cause...

WWE is in a right mess isn't it?

G1 blocks announced! 

The only surprise really is no Suzuki. 

Well, that and the biggest cheer in the arena when this was announced earlier today wasn't the confirmation of Ospreay, or KENTA, or Moxley, or Takagi, or even Ibushi with Tana and Okada already confirmed in that block...it was for Taichi. 

I'll pick Ibushi as the overall winner. 

I'll also go with Ospreay (or maybe even KENTA) to pin Okada and get a heavyweight title shot at Power Struggle, Juice to pick Ishii to get a NEVER title shot, and Taichi to pin Moxley to set up an NA title match. 

Also to consider, though, is that the G1 ends on 12th August, and Royal Quest takes place on 31st August at the Cooper Box. It's not inconceivable that ZSJ and/or Ospreay defeat Okada and/or Ibushi, and they will be the semi and final matches. 

I'd say the most likely is an Ospreay / Ibushi main event, with Ospreay picking up the IC title to fully cement himself as a heavyweight. Now, of that were to take place, you'd assume Ospreay will have dropped the Junior title...perhaps on the last day of the G1? 

I'm attending Royal Quest, so there is a huge element of wishful thinking here, but one of the two will surely main event it for one of the two main straps. 

On 11/06/2019 at 15:08, Ingram85 said:

From what I read Goldberg's concussion meant he was basically dead weight.

The botched tombstone, for example, looks like it's made much worse by Goldberg not having his head tucked in. Which is Piledriver 101

I guess it's not his "fault" as such, if he had a concussion. But that seemed to be the main issue.

But you're right, about time both of them called time I think.

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

From what I read Goldberg's concussion meant he was basically dead weight.

The botched tombstone, for example, looks like it's made much worse by Goldberg not having his head tucked in. Which is Piledriver 101

I guess it's not his "fault" as such, if he had a concussion. But that seemed to be the main issue.

But you're right, about time both of them called time I think.

Bizarre to match them tbh, Undertaker is ancient and needs a really good 'worker' to make him look remotely decent these days. Goldberg could never really wrestle in the first place and has never, ever made someone look good, always was highly limited in what he could do so why would that be any different at 50 odd years old.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Bizarre to match them tbh, Undertaker is ancient and needs a really good 'worker' to make him look remotely decent these days. Goldberg could never really wrestle in the first place and has never, ever made someone look good, always was highly limited in what he could do so why would that be any different at 50 odd years old.

Money innit. I imagine the Saudis demanded the match up so they got it.

One of the funniest matches to watch is William Regal beating the absolute spit out of Goldberg :D 

• Like 1

Â