The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

4 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Jinder Mahal is the new WWE champion. 

Spoiler

My lord, Vince what the hell have you done, Probably the stupidest decision in WWE history 

Spoiler

Disappointed by how tame your reaction is Dem, I was hoping for something rather more explosive :D Bring on the 3MB reunion!

NXT Takeover was great, disappointed by some of the results, but that's indicative of how invested I was in most of the matches, given I actually cared who won. I'm not really sure where they go with the tag division now, the Dusty Rhodes Invitational is ages off which could shake things up a bit. The only team getting any sort of push is Heavy Machinery and I don't believe a title match between them and AoP would be that good. AoP are good workers, but they need to be in the ring with the likes of DIY and Revival to really shine.

As for the UK title match, it was certainly the best WWE match I have seen in a long time. I wonder if they would give them (or the UK title in general) a 25+ minute match on WWE TV? There are certainly enough folk available who would could put on a match that long, maybe at another UK special. Did anyone watch it, by the way? I still like JR, but man he was annoying. Constantly referred to the then champ as Tyler Bates. I don't think he said his name once at Takeover, as I was listening out for it :lol:

If anyone wants to catch Bate and Dunne in wrestling in the UK soon, you won't have long to wait. This Thursday is Lucha Forever's latest effort, Catch Me Outside, which is taking place at The H Suite in Birmingham this Thursday - £15 general admission, tickets still available. Card in spoilers below

Spoiler

Dark Four Way Tag Team Match - Clint Margera & Jimmy Havoc vs. Ashley Dunn & Kelly Sixx vs. Moustache Mountain (Trent Seven & Tyler Bate) vs. The Hunter Brothers (Jim Hunter & Lee Hunter)

??? vs. Kip Sabian

Jinny vs. Toni Storm

Alex Windsor vs. Kay Lee Ray

Bea Priestley vs. Damian Dunne

CZW Tag Team Title Match - Scarlet And Graves (Dezmond Xavier & Zachary Wentz) (c) vs. CCK (Chris Brookes & Mondai Lykos)

Lucha Forever Title Match - Travis Banks (c) vs. David Starr

Lucha Forever Title #1 Contendership Four Way Match - Bubblegum vs. Chris Ridgeway vs. Dan Moloney vs. Mark Haskins

Matt Riddle vs. Pete Dunne

There won't be many better opportunities to see Dunne, Bate and Seven up close in the West Mids, outside of Fight Club Pro events. The card is stacked, Riddle, Starr, Banks and Haskins are all great, S&G are an incredible tag team, and there's at least one pretty much nailed on participant in the upcoming Women's tournament involved too.

Edited by hogso
spoilered my first line, just in case

1 hour ago, hogso said:

Disappointed by how tame your reaction is Dem, I was hoping for something rather more explosive :D Bring on the 3MB reunion!

Spoiler

:crylaugh:

But seriously what the hell has this guy done to warrant holding that title? Someone like Cesaro who is much more deserving has had absolutely no opportunities whatsoever. Then you have Mahal who was doing jobs to a midget in El Torito winning the title. Unbelievable.  

Spoiler

Even looking at his recent match history, it does make fascinating / weird reading (if you've never used Cagematch, check it out, I lose hours on it). As recently as Wrestlemania, barely 7 weeks ago, he was involved in the Andre the Giant Battle Royal, and lost out to Mojo Rawley. He then lost to Sami, Finn, and Mojo again in singles matches on Raw and Smackdown in a grand total of 7 minutes and 50 seconds. His rise is literally meteoric and almost certainly unprescedented for a professional wrestler. I can't think of many comparisons.

Mikey Whipwreck winning the ECW title is different, as that was the 'ultimate underdog' story. Vince winning the WWE ECW title was a pure ego trip / cheap trick to generate interest in the product. And David Arquette winning the WCW title, well, that guy wasn't even a wrestler in any way.

The reason is clear - 'expansion' in India (an idea I don't really agree with in principle anywhere, case in point, NJPW's recently announced US title to aid their 'expansion' in the West - it just isn't required (quite apart from them already having a Intercontinental title for the same alledged purpose)), but damn at least give the guy some time to become even slightly legitimate. Other than roiding his brains out ofc.

It does come back to Vince, though, as it always will - his disdain for smarks is well known, and he must be delighted with himself for this bit of booking. At the very least the guys will have a load of heat, and who ever takes the title of him will be lauded as a hero by the 'universe'. So who would you have do that job?

Only one guy in my opionion.

Sami Zayn.

One final point to consider - is he a better champion than The Great Khali?

Edited by hogso

37 minutes ago, hogso said:
  Hide contents

Even looking at his recent match history, it does make fascinating / weird reading (if you've never used Cagematch, check it out, I lose hours on it). As recently as Wrestlemania, barely 7 weeks ago, he was involved in the Andre the Giant Battle Royal, and lost out to Mojo Rawley. He then lost to Sami, Finn, and Mojo again in singles matches on Raw and Smackdown in a grand total of 7 minutes and 50 seconds. His rise is literally meteoric and almost certainly unprescedented for a professional wrestler. I can't think of many comparisons.

Mikey Whipwreck winning the ECW title is different, as that was the 'ultimate underdog' story. Vince winning the WWE ECW title was a pure ego trip / cheap trick to generate interest in the product. And David Arquette winning the WCW title, well, that guy wasn't even a wrestler in any way.

The reason is clear - 'expansion' in India (an idea I don't really agree with in principle anywhere, case in point, NJPW's recently announced US title to aid their 'expansion' in the West - it just isn't required (quite apart from them already having a Intercontinental title for the same alledged purpose)), but damn at least give the guy some time to become even slightly legitimate. Other than roiding his brains out ofc.

It does come back to Vince, though, as it always will - his disdain for smarks is well known, and he must be delighted with himself for this bit of booking. At the very least the guys will have a load of heat, and who ever takes the title of him will be lauded as a hero by the 'universe'. So who would you have do that job?

Only one guy in my opionion.

Sami Zayn.

One final point to consider - is he a better champion than The Great Khali?

Spoiler

Such good points it's a mockery completely stupid. Give the guy the US title but the main title? What a farce. Expect to see a "backlash" from fans. 

As for Sami zayn can see him winning MITB or nakamura winning it. Not a Sami fan hoping nakamura wins. If I was booking I would have the match go on and then towards the end of the match have Bobby Roode come down  and win MITB 

Then you could have all kinds of storylines with him not being a actual entrant and have him put it on the line against someone.

I'm not sure Nakamura is quite ready for title contention yet. He has won over most of the WWE faithful without question, but I'm not quite sure he is what WWE are looking for in a champion just yet. Certainly as a non-North American the odds are stacked against him

Spoiler

which may seem an odd thing to say after yesterdays result (I know Jahal is actually Canadian, but he is representing India), but the point stands

but I would eventually love to see it happen. If WWE were ever going to consider 'expansion' in to Japan, giving Nak the strap would be huge for them. Plus he'd be a very legitimate champion.

Any possibility of Roode being near either of the two top titles on the main shows would be fantastic as far as I'm concerned, love the guy. I would be over the moon to see him either fued or team with Kevin Owens.

Going back to Takeover quickly, Asuka is still awesome - but I see Kairi Hojo has finally dropped her Wonder of Stardom Title, so she could finally be on her way to the states. Could be the first step in her involvement in the coming Women's tournament, and I don't think there's anyone else I'd rather see take the strap. Including Candice - who was on NXT the other week in a blink and you'll miss it moment :lol:

For those unaware, Hojo is one of the top Joshi stars in Japan, with a deadly top rope elbow drop and a pirate gimmick!

images-2ee778.jpg

99% certain she won't carry the gimmick over, but it's still pretty cool :D

In even bigger WWE/Joshi news than that though is that the biggest star has reportedly signed for WWE - Io Shirai. Unlike Hojo, though, she does still have her title in Stardom.

Edited by hogso

Progress's Super Strong Style 16 is coming up, and they've done the draw in a rather unique way - one non - wrestling fan literally drew the wrestlers based only on their name, and another matched them up based on the pictures :lol:

It worked out great! 

Edited by hogso

On 2017-5-22 at 19:14, sharkyvilla said:

I thought Randy was going to genuinely kill Jinder's minions.  He was proper rough on them.

They are like 40-50 pounds lighter than he is used to. I can understand him misjudging the move on the two of them. 

His reaction made me laugh more than it should have though. 

• Like 1

Following on from the recent ROH / NJPW War of the Worlds events in North America, for the first time ever War of the Worlds is coming to the UK in August on the 18th (London), 19th (Liverpool) and 20th (Edinburgh). To really spice things up it's actually a joint venture between ROH, NJPW, CMLL and RevPro. To say that these three events will almost certainly be in the top 5 of wrestling events of all time held in the UK probably isn't hyperbole. There's precident for titles of all organisations involved changing hands at these events, so they're more than a typical 'house show'. No confimation of course yet of who will be attending, but the possibilities for matches are pretty much endless.

As a heads up, tickets on general sale for all events on 1st June. I'm hoping to attend the Liverpool show.

On 2017-5-21 at 10:18, Ingram85 said:

Yeah Takeover Chicago from start to finish was exceptional. 

Reveal hidden contents

I'd just bought a DIY shirt a few weeks ago too :rant:

Not exceptional: having Bobby Roode's music stuck in your head for three solid days afterwards. :(

• Like 1

Â