The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wonder who the hell the fans will be cheer for if both hated?!

I think the general stance has softened a bit on Cena these days due to Reigns.  Observing the crowd reactions would be very interesting though (probably the most interesting thing about it).

Imagine if they used the match to turn one of them heel.  I don't think the crowd would know how to react.

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

I think the general stance has softened a bit on Cena these days due to Reigns.  Observing the crowd reactions would be very interesting though (probably the most interesting thing about it).

Imagine if they used the match to turn one of them heel.  I don't think the crowd would know how to react.

I think the best thing to happen would be if at the end of the match a big face like Rollins or Balor wins the title. First Cena comes out to congratulate Balor then Reigns. Then both turn and beat the hell out of Balor and form a heel alliance. A double heel turn (never been done of this nature before and be shocking. Now that would be awesome twist

Edited by Demitri_C

Nakamura winning the rumble would be beyond huge. Although there is precedent for it, what with guys like Mysterio and Sheamus winning it on the past. 

I was gonna say Eddie Guerrero too, but then I doubted myself and checked - he actually won a 'Smackdown Royal Rumble' to earn his title shot which he won, not the Royal Rumble. 

A lot happened in WWE last night..

• AJ Styles won the US Title at a House show against Kevin Owens.
  • Austin Aries was released from WWE.
  • TNA's ex-Chairman Dixie Carter has confirmed she'll be part of the upcoming WWE 24 on Kurt Angles return to WWE.

Busy day/night in the world of WWE.

And way more significant than that you me, Sexy Chucky T finally won the big one in PWG! Love that man. 

Aries is a shame, but I read he requested it as he didn't want to be in the 205s for the whole of his time there. 

2 hours ago, Daweii said:

A lot happened in WWE last night..

• AJ Styles won the US Title at a House show against Kevin Owens.
  • Austin Aries was released from WWE.
  • TNA's ex-Chairman Dixie Carter has confirmed she'll be part of the upcoming WWE 24 on Kurt Angles return to WWE.

Busy day/night in the world of WWE.

Aries is one of my favorites, so that's a shame. I get the feeling that WWE were relying on him and Neville to carry the 205 brand, and Aries will rightly feel he deserves to be on the main roster. I'm not quite sure what they have to do to make 205 a success; despite Neville doing career-best work and Aries being the greatest man who ever lived it just doesn't seem to be taking off.

• Like 1

On 08/07/2017 at 11:34, Villanun said:

Aries is one of my favorites, so that's a shame. I get the feeling that WWE were relying on him and Neville to carry the 205 brand, and Aries will rightly feel he deserves to be on the main roster. I'm not quite sure what they have to do to make 205 a success; despite Neville doing career-best work and Aries being the greatest man who ever lived it just doesn't seem to be taking off.

Agreed. 

Aries like Neville deserve to be on the main roster. There are people on the main roster as heavy or lighter than them guys like Amore, Balor, Woods, Gable and Zayn are all under 205 pounds. I don't see those five competing on RAW inside the purple ropes that designate that these guys aren't truly on the main roster, so why should Aries and Neville? This division doesn't work because the fans know that it's bullshit.   

The fans myself included are also concerned about the future. What happens to future talent under 205 pounds? Ciampa, Gargano, Strong, Dunne, Bate are all under 205 pounds and are all competing for Heavyweight titles on NXT right now. What about future signings? Ricochet has been doing the rounds for years, but he's under 205 pounds. Same for Kenny Omega, same for The Young Bucks. I'm not surprised Aries asked to be released as he was arbitrarily put into a division he didn't see a way out of. Personally I would disband the division and release everyone that wouldn't make it on the main roster. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, supermon said:

Anybody watch Great Balls of Fire?

I did and now I'm paying for it having to work on like an hour and a half worth of sleep.

I'll put my thoughts in a spoiler box in-case anyone here is planning to watch later today.

Spoiler

The PPV was pretty good despite its rather terrible name.

Wyatt vs Rollins - Good on Wyatt for actually winning on PPV for once, but this match lacked build and chemistry. It was a weak opening to a rather good PPV. Wyatt winning via an eye rake as well just feels a bit off for a man that considers himself a "God", but aside from that I am sure this isn't the last time they will face off.

Cass vs Amore - Standard squash which is all this was ever going to be. Cass looked like a monster, but I am still sceptical on if he truly has what it takes in WWE. Amore is a huge concern now - on the one hand he has the skills on the mic to pay the bills, but WWE don't seem to see him as a wrestler. Enzo has spent more time in the WWE flopping around like a ragdoll than he has performing moves, so I don't know where he goes from here. WWE may have just split two superstars that sorely need each other to be relevant in this company, I hope I'm wrong. 

Cesaro & Sheamus vs The Hardy Boyz - Good solid match. It was nice to see the Iron Man format used in a rather unique way. Normally it goes 1-0, 1-1, 1-2, 2-2, 3-2.. It's always formulaic the team that pins first goes through adversity, but always wins. Now that happened here as well, but WWE teased a squash will Cesaro & Sheamus going 1-3 up only to win 3-4 in the end, it lead to a really nice comeback story for the Hardyz. The match was likely the match of the night and I hope we get one more as I am not tired of this feud yet. Great match.  

Banks vs Bliss - Match ended too soon and ended in a disappointing way. This match was just starting to get good when it ended and that's a huge shame. Bliss retains in a very heel like manner getting counted out, but the fans suffer here. The beat down/stage brawl at the end was neat, but again it was tame to likely not overshadow spots in the yet to come Ambulance match. Average match. We will likely get Banks vs Bliss II at Summerslam in several weeks.

The Miz vs Ambrose -  Not sure what to say about this match as it was just average. I don't think this match had the build or the excitement needed to get it over with the fans. I think both Miz and Ambrose did all they could, but it was just not clicking last night. I'm not sure where either man go from here or where the IC Title goes from here, the safe bet is likely a rematch at Summerslam, but I really hope not. 

Strowman vs Reigns -  Good match with great ferocity and brutality. I am loving the push Strowman is getting and last night was yet another win for the monster among men. That said I think the match itself came secondary to the ending. Roman Reigns once again was booked to look strong in defeat and the ending became all about him. My main issue with the after-match event involving Reigns attempting to murder Strowman was that Reigns is a babyface, or at least meant to be. I feel this spot which was very cool, very Attitude Era would have been better had Reigns been a heel at the time. All in all it was a great spot to end a good match and I don't see this feud ending any time soon and that's a great thing.

Slater vs Hawkins - A match so rushed and bad that the Ambulance was more over with the fans than both of them. This match was pointless and maybe those live in attendance saw a move or two, but the split screen format for the match which eventually just cut away from the match entirely was pointless. They should have just focused on the Ambulance for 10 minutes rather than have a match to kill time.

Lesnar vs Joe - Joe looked very very very strong here. This match wasn't a classic or even that good, but I feel it did what it needed to do. There isn't much more to say here I think the most exciting part of the match was before it started. That beat down by Joe on an unsuspecting Lesnar was great and I feel the match kind of lost intensity once the bell rang. Hopefully we get a Lesnar vs Joe II at some point, but I believe Reigns is now the number one contender so it'll be Lesnar vs Reigns at Summerslam which will be "fun" I guess..

All in all a good PPV despite the shit name..

• Like 2

Did anyone watch Raw last night?

Spoiler

That Brock/Joe/Roman segment was one of the best talking segments I've seen in a while. Joe was on fire.

Also seems that the Hardyz are turning "broken" with all of their promos. 

On 2017-7-10 at 10:45, supermon said:

Anybody watch Great Balls of Fire?

I thought it was surprisingly good given how shit the name was. Wyatt-Rollins was fun, and I always like watching Wyatt's monster clothes lines. Cass vs Amore was predictably a squash; the best bit was Graves talking the piss out of Amore, as usual. Seamus/Cesaro-Hardys was great, lots of action and told an effective story. Bliss-Banks started well, but the ending was disappointing. Probably sets up a no disqualifications rematch. Miz-Ambrose was my least favorite match of the night; too slow and very predictable. Strowman-Reigns was great, brutal stuff although the ambulance stuff was a bit overwrought. Slater-Hawkins barely counts. Lesnar-Joe was a bit of a let down, largely because Lesnar can't go for long, but it made both men look strong - in fact, hearing the old school "Joe's gonna kill you" chants from the crowd was my favorite moment of the night. An enjoyable couple of hours overall.

• Like 2

On 2017-7-9 at 14:03, Daweii said:

Agreed. 

Aries like Neville deserve to be on the main roster. There are people on the main roster as heavy or lighter than them guys like Amore, Balor, Woods, Gable and Zayn are all under 205 pounds. I don't see those five competing on RAW inside the purple ropes that designate that these guys aren't truly on the main roster, so why should Aries and Neville? This division doesn't work because the fans know that it's bullshit.   

The fans myself included are also concerned about the future. What happens to future talent under 205 pounds? Ciampa, Gargano, Strong, Dunne, Bate are all under 205 pounds and are all competing for Heavyweight titles on NXT right now. What about future signings? Ricochet has been doing the rounds for years, but he's under 205 pounds. Same for Kenny Omega, same for The Young Bucks. I'm not surprised Aries asked to be released as he was arbitrarily put into a division he didn't see a way out of. Personally I would disband the division and release everyone that wouldn't make it on the main roster. 

Exactly. They had the same problem with the X Division over on Impact, eventually leading to Abyss in the X Division and Aries challenging Bully Ray for the heavyweight title. The difference, I suppose, is that the X Division was based more on a difference in wrestling styles rather than weight; by tying themselves so clearly to a cut off point in weight, WWE have created a problem for themselves that it's difficult to see a way out of.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:

Did anyone watch Raw last night?

Reveal hidden contents

That Brock/Joe/Roman segment was one of the best talking segments I've seen in a while. Joe was on fire.

Also seems that the Hardyz are turning "broken" with all of their promos. 

Joe's mic skills are very good! "Look at me when I'm talking to you"....I Love it!!

I wish Roman would just up his mic skills a little more like Samoa Joe, really likehim as a wrestler, just needs a bit more charisma.  Hope Samoa Joe get's a push

So what do we all think of the Kurt Angle mystery phone call/texts....Love triangle with Stephanie McMahon/Triple H :D

Edited by supermon
  • Like 1

First round of the NXT Women's invitational tournament, aka. The Mae Young Classic was taped yesterday. There are some huge names in there from the indies (Candice LeRae, Kairi Hojo, Viper, Jade/Mia Yim, Toni Storm, Mercedes Martinez, Evie, Kay Lee Ray, amongst others), should be a great tournament when it comes to the Network.

I've been catching up with PWG recently, and it's made me think about the Matches of the Year thus far. I've watched a lot of indies in the last 6 months, plus NXT and NJPW. Don't really watch WWE, and never watch Impact or ROH, so there may be some glaring holes in this top 10 of the year so far. They're favourites and have stuck in my mind for various reasons, and would definitely recommend them to anyone - maybe except the DM stuff, if you're not in to that. I'd be interested in others lists too to see what I've been missing from promotions I don't watch!

I'll try this in chronological order;

NJPW / Wrestle Kingdom 11 in Tokyo Dome / 04.01.17 - Okada v Omega
*IWGP Heavyweight Title*

PWG / Only Kings Understand Each Other / 18.02.17 - Lio Rush v Ricochet

PWG / Nice Boys (Don't Play Rock N' Roll) / 18.03.17 - The Young Bucks v Matt Sydal & Ricochet v Penta el 0 M & Rey Fenix -Tornado Tag-
*PWG Tag Team Titles*

PROGRESS / Chapter 46: I Like to Chill Out Here and Shoot Some Dinosaurs / 26.03.17 - Jimmy Havoc v Will Ospeay -Fans Bring the Weapons-

CZW / Decisions / 08.04.17 / Scarlet & Graves v EYFBO v The Dub Boys v Kyle the Beast & Monsta Mack -Tables, Ladders and Chairs-
*CZW Tag Team Titles*

WCPW / Pro Wrestling World Cup Canadian Qualifying Round / 14.05.17 - Mike Bailey v Brent Banks

WWE NXT / Takeover: Chicago / 20.05.17 - Tyler Bate v Pete Dunne
*WWE United Kingdom Title*

GCW / Tournment of Survival 2 / 03.06.17 - Nick Gage v Matt Tremont -No Rope Barbed Wire Lighttube Bundles-

STARDOM / Shining Stars 2017 Day 1 / 04.06.17 - Kairi Hojo v STARDOM -Ten on One Gauntlet-

NJPW / Dominion 6.11 in Osaka-Jo Hall / 11.06.17 - Okada v Omega
*IWGP Heavyweight Title*

I still have Lucha Underground to catch up on, and I've been wanting to get in to DDT this year too - mostly cos I'm a huge Jun Kasai mark, and he's had a title run there. Plus there's Chuck Taylor's title win in PWG which isn't available yet which is surely gonna be up there. Still to come this year is BOLA (the line up for which is insanely good), the G1 Climax, and the finale of the Lio Rush / Joey Janela fued in CZW. Really they're only things in the next few months - the back end of the year will throw up some classics too I'm sure.

Don't really get to watch all the different wrestling brands that are out there, but saw the Omega V Okada highlights on youtube, my goodness that was some match!the amount of moves in that was unreal, definitely the match of the year.  Although I hear from a mate they had a rematch recently and it was almost as good.

Â