The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

On 7/12/2017 at 10:39, supermon said:

Joe's mic skills are very good! "Look at me when I'm talking to you"....I Love it!!

I wish Roman would just up his mic skills a little more like Samoa Joe, really likehim as a wrestler, just needs a bit more charisma.  Hope Samoa Joe get's a push

So what do we all think of the Kurt Angle mystery phone call/texts....Love triangle with Stephanie McMahon/Triple H :D

I think Joe will turn by the end of the year

As for Angle I have a feeling he is a secret child/affair and is going to be exposed by Triple H leading to a fight for power and match at SS

2 hours ago, supermon said:

Don't really get to watch all the different wrestling brands that are out there, but saw the Omega V Okada highlights on youtube, my goodness that was some match!the amount of moves in that was unreal, definitely the match of the year.  Although I hear from a mate they had a rematch recently and it was almost as good.

I would say the rematch was actually better - but which ever way you look at it, both are certainly top 10 of the year. They're both such good matches that they kind of over shadow some other stuff that has been going on in NJPW this year, which has also been really, really good - Shibata, Ishii, Takahashi, Kushida, Naito, Tanahashi have all been involved in 4-5 star matches this year, too.

The third match in the series between Okada and Omega is coming up in the G1 Climax, which starts in a few days. Not sure of the date for the match without looking it up though, unless it hasn't been announced yet...?

If you're unfamiliar with the G1 Climax, it's one of the biggest events of the NJPW calender. Think of the WWE's Royal Rumble (in regards to importance, and the prize) mixed with the King of the Ring (in regards to format, and how it gives people a huge push), and you're more or less there. Two blocks of ten wrestlers fight each other once - two points for a win, one point for a draw, no points for a loss. After each wrestler has faced each other, the two at the top of their blocks fight in the grand finale.

Okada and Omega have been drawn in the same block, so they will face off in a non-title match. The result kind of gives itself away if you know the results of the other two matches, and I don't see any reason why the obvious result doesn't happen.

In regards to not getting to watch different brands of wrestling, all I would do is suggest you try and give something different a go when you can. WCPW's Pro Wrestling World Cup is a very interesting one - lot's of talent from all over the world, including stars from NJPW, Lucha Underground, ROH, the best British promotions and more besides - plus they're all free on youtube. Even the finals at the end of August will be. I'll link the Mike Bailey match that's in my top ten when I get a chance, so you can watch one of them, should you care to.

Edited by hogso
  • Like 1

Bailey / Banks

The crowd makes half the match, but it's a great spectacle anyway. But then, I am a huuuuge Mike Bailey mark. He's currently unable to wrestle in the states due to visa issues, though. 

Going back to the Mae Young Classic... 

Just watched the Parade of Champions - basically a quick ten minute intro to all the participants. 

Candice LaRae got a huge pop, naturally, but not as large as Kairi Sane (Hojo), who was the last to be introduced. I marked out, not gonna lie. She's kept her hat, but not the wheel by the looks of it :D

On 2017-7-12 at 10:39, supermon said:

Joe's mic skills are very good! "Look at me when I'm talking to you"....I Love it!!

I wish Roman would just up his mic skills a little more like Samoa Joe, really likehim as a wrestler, just needs a bit more charisma.  Hope Samoa Joe get's a push

So what do we all think of the Kurt Angle mystery phone call/texts....Love triangle with Stephanie McMahon/Triple H :D

Joe's always been great on the mic. A few months ago, when he was beating up Sammy Zane on a regular basis, there was that awesome moment when he paused in the middle of a savage beat down to tell Sammy "This is your world now!", like Joe could destroy him any time he wanted and all Sammy had to look forward to was a lifetime of pain. It was a world-class bit of bullying heelwork and it honestly gave me goosebumps.

As for Roman, the booking here seems to be "You tried to injure a fellow wrestler in a deliberate road accident, so as punishment you'd better have a title shot." God knows what they'd do if he killed someone.

The Angle angle fills me with dread. The storytelling on Raw has been pretty good recently; are we really going back to this kind of soap-opera melodrama bullhorn?

On 2017-7-12 at 10:39, supermon said:

Joe's always been great on the mic. A few months ago, when he was beating up Sammy Zane on a regular basis, there was that awesome moment when he paused in the middle of a savage beat down to tell Sammy "This is your world now!", like Joe could destroy him any time he wanted and all Sammy had to look forward to was a lifetime of pain. It was a world-class bit of bullying heelwork and it honestly gave me goosebumps.

As for Roman, the booking here seems to be "You tried to injure a fellow wrestler in a deliberate road accident, so as punishment you'd better have a title shot." God knows what they'd do if he killed someone.

The Angle angle fills me with dread. The storytelling on Raw has been pretty good recently; are we really going back to this kind of soap-opera melodrama bullhorn?

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:
  Hide contents

How lame was angles secret :rolleyes:

Spoiler

Would have preferred Dixie Carter and she's ****' terrible..

I get that WWE is a soap opera with violence, but when it goes with a full on soap style storyline it gets awkward and hard to watch.

So not only have they just split up a great tag-team due to this, but now RAW just got even more awkward to watch..

What was Angle's 'secret'?

2 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

Don't watch WWE.

Do watch NJPW.

Kinda. I'd say watch all the top promotions from around the world, if you can. NJPW is great, but it can be pretty difficult to keep up with, especially with the G1 having just started. It's pretty much a 3 hour show every day! I would definitely say watch the big shows, though, if you can. The only company whose events I would suggest everyone watch is PWG. I can understand some criticism it gets, I suppose (very few storylines, not much (if any) build to matches (especially on the undercard), lack of selling) but it is without doubt the top promotion in the world and has been for some time. If you see a ***1/2 match on a PWG card, you're disappointed :lol:

In regards to the G1, watched day one yesterday, very solid show, with Ibushi / Naito being unreal. You could get away with seeing the results for the rest, but that match should be seen.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Phumfeinz said:

Angle's secret is that he is Jason Jordan's dad.

Haha! Really? Man. Isn't his finisher basically an Angle/Olympic Slam, and has been for some time? I'm basing this solely on his special move in Supercard :lol:

Edited by hogso

I'm convinced Vince is just screwing with hhh these days. Breaking up his most popular nxt tag teams just to put him in his place.

I don't expect the revival to be together 6 months from now. Vince needs to croak.

2 hours ago, hogso said:

Haha! Really? Man. Isn't his finisher basically an Angle/Olympic Slam, and has been for some time? I'm basing this solely on his special move in Supercard :lol:

They should bring back Shelton Benjamin and form a new team angle 

Considered posting this in the deadpool thread, figured it wouldn't really be the right place, so putting it here instead. Yesterday the wrestling world was shaken by the loss of an upcoming starlet of NJPW. Spoilers for day 4 of the G1 climax, I guess... 

Spoiler

Spoiler

Gone far too soon, RIP. 

Edited by hogso

53 minutes ago, hogso said:

Considered posting this in the deadpool thread, figured it wouldn't really be the right place, so putting it here instead. Yesterday the wrestling world was shaken by the loss of an upcoming starlet of NJPW. Spoilers for day 4 of the G1 climax, I guess... 

Reveal hidden contents

Hide contents

Gone far too soon, RIP. 

Daryl! 

:unsure:

Its like Marley & Me all over again

:D:D:D

Edited by Ingram85

Any truth in Battleground being one of the worst WWE PPV's of all time, as I've read? At one of the most exciting times to be a wrestling fan since the mid-late 90s, WWE are doing a really shitty job of trying to convince people to stick with their product, it seems. NJPW are currently putting on 4 or 5 star matches every single night at the moment, with not a hint of hyperbole. WWE apparently struggle to get one a month.

Edited by hogso

4 hours ago, hogso said:

Any truth in Battleground being one of the worse WWE PPV's of all time, as I've read? At one of the most exciting times to be a wrestling fan since the mid-late 90s, WWE are doing a really shitty job of trying to convince people to stick with their product, it seems. NJPW are currently putting on 4 or 5 star matches every single night at the moment, with not a hint of hyperbole. WWE apparently struggle to get one a month.

I did not watch it at all, but almost everyone who did said that it was really bad. The finishes of the matches really hurt the PPV overall. 

Â