The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

I suppose you could say his entrance music is....GLOOORIOUS

I read that WWE had that in their back catalogue and is was going to be used by someone else, but wasn't. Then Roode came along, listened to it with management, and used it himself. It couldn't be a better fit for him I don't think.

Taking NXT as a whole, I really enjoy the way they treat entrances as a whole for the new stars coming in who already have a reputation from else where in the world. Helps them get over so much quicker. It's worked incredibly well for Zayn, Balor, Nakamura, Black and Roode already. Granted, there are a few things about a couple of them I don't like - Itami and Nakumura's 'Japanese-ness', McIntyre's bagpipes...we get it, they're not American. It's a old school approach that should be binned.

Speaking of NXT, Velveteen Dream (Patrick Clark) who debuted this week used to tag with Lio Rush in the indies as part of 'Sudden Impact'. I've never seen any footage, but I do wonder what that team would be like. Who knows, they could reunite in the coming years in WWE.

• Like 1

On 2017-5-26 at 09:37, Demitri_C said:
  Hide contents

MITB

If Owens wins it I am going to be pissed off. I obviously wnat Styles but they wont let him win it. I think it will be Zayn or Corbyn 

AJ has that belt under his er, belt, already so I'd like to see one of the others win it, except for Ziggler. **** Ziggler.

1 hour ago, hogso said:

I suppose you could say his entrance music is....GLOOORIOUS

I read that WWE had that in their back catalogue and is was going to be used by someone else, but wasn't. Then Roode came along, listened to it with management, and used it himself. It couldn't be a better fit for him I don't think.

Taking NXT as a whole, I really enjoy the way they treat entrances as a whole for the new stars coming in who already have a reputation from else where in the world. Helps them get over so much quicker. It's worked incredibly well for Zayn, Balor, Nakamura, Black and Roode already. Granted, therei are a few things about a couple of them I don't like - Itami and Nakumura's 'Japanese-ness', McIntyre's bagpipes...we get it, they're not American. It's a old school approach that should be binned.

Speaking of NXT, Velveteen Dream (Patrick Clark) who debuted this week used to tag with Lio Rush in the indies as part of 'Sudden Impact'. I've never seen any footage, but I do wonder what that team would be like. Who knows, they could reunite in the coming years in WWE.

I read that it was originally offered to Nakamura, but he turned it down. It's a perfect fit for Roode, he plays the arrogant heel brilliantly. He's great on the Mic too, and as someone who watched a fair bit of TNA I love seeing him do so well in the "big leagues", but his in-ring work remains solid but unspectacular and I think that will stand in the way of him ever getting a major push.

I get what you mean about the "international"-ness of the music, and it's an attitude that exists at all levels of Creative and leads to misjudged crap like the Rusev-Reigns feud, but personally I love Nakamura's music. And it's good to see WWE finally acknowledge that other wrestling promotions exist. I'll be interested to see how Smackdown ruins Nakamura - having him beaten up by Dolph Ziggler seems like a solid start.

On 2017-5-26 at 09:37, Demitri_C said:
  Reveal hidden contents

MITB

If Owens wins it I am going to be pissed off. I obviously wnat Styles but they wont let him win it. I think it will be Zayn or Corbyn 

I can see Corbyn winning it - it would suit the lone-wolf character. I can imagine Styles and Owens costing each other the suitcase, setting up a feud between them. But it might be good for Nakamura; having the suitcase would allow him to build presence without having to do any talking - all he'd have to do is stand on the ramp grinning impishly with the case in hand.

You know what, whatever they do to set up Nakamura-Styles is fine by me.

1 hour ago, Villanun said:

I can see Corbyn winning it - it would suit the lone-wolf character. I can imagine Styles and Owens costing each other the suitcase, setting up a feud between them. But it might be good for Nakamura; having the suitcase would allow him to build presence without having to do any talking - all he'd have to do is stand on the ramp grinning impishly with the case in hand.

You know what, whatever they do to set up Nakamura-Styles is fine by me.

I have a feeling during the match nakamura will cost Owens and they will have a feud for us title. Can see nak winning that title first before going for main title. Still cannot believe mahal is champion. That is the worst booking I think I've seen. I'd put that up there with David arquette winning at wcw. Completely embarrassing 

Edited by Demitri_C

21 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I have a feeling during the match nakamura will cost Owens and they will have a feud for us title. Can see nak winning that title first before going for main title. Still cannot believe mahal is champion. That is the worst booking I think I've seen. I'd put that up there with David arquette winning at wcw. Completely embarrassing 

I guess I can understand it from a business standpoint, given the expansion in India, but from a storytelling perspective it's been handled really badly. You can't go from being a midcard jobber to wwe champion in a couple of weeks, and giving him a slower build wouldn't have hurt the business side of things if it had been handled right. But everyone knows how much Vince loves his roid-jobs...

Nakamura-Owens could be a lot of fun. Owens will have to do the talking for the both of them, but I can't think of many people better suited for that.

I wonder if Nakamura and Steen ever had a match?

-Cagematch to the rescue!-

Turns out they did, at ROH/NJPW War of the Worlds on 17/05/14 at the Hammerstein Ballroom (if that name sounds familiar, it was the setting for ECW One Night Stand and a few other pre-WWE ECW PPVs.

Spoiler

RingOfHonorHammerstein-600x298.jpg

Pretty unique setting

As for the match, I might have to seek it out now...

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:
  Hide contents

The first ever women's money in the bank ladder match was made for the MiTB event coming up. 

Spoiler

I really hope it's good.. I really hope they actually take risks and try to one up the male superstars. Too many times since the women have been given parity with the men has that chance been squandered. The closest WWE fans have gotten to a good female stipulation match was the Women's Hell in a Cell. The other matches, the Women's Tables Match, No Disqualification Match and No Holds Barred Match have all either been short or lacking in intensity. I understand that the women are new to stipulation matches that aren't Fatal 4 Way or Six Pack Challenges, but they need to go for it as if their career is over if they don't. I want to see those women falling off ladders, diving off ladders, going through ladders, going through tables off ladders.. I want this match to be exactly like the male counterpart with the women showing just how good they can be. I just fear that they'll all get nervous and botch every major spot in the match, which unfortunately happens far too often..

PS. I hope they use real ladders for the going through ladder spots. At NXT Takeover: Chicago they clearly used wooden ladders which broke just like a table would, it completely killed the spot which normally looks brutal. 

Are the entrants announced yet?

Re: the use of real ladders, yeah, it did make the spots in the NXT tag team ladder match look a bit weak. In the indies, for a reason I haven't been able to discern yet (cost, perhaps?) some promotions have stopped using tables as much, and now use wooden doors instead. Yep.

Edited by hogso

On 2017-6-1 at 12:05, hogso said:

Are the entrants announced yet?

Re: the use of real ladders, yeah, it did make the spots in the NXT tag team ladder match look a bit weak. In the indies, for a reason I haven't been able to discern yet (cost, perhaps?) some promotions have stopped using tables as much, and now use wooden doors instead. Yep.

Nothing announced just yet, but it'll likely be;

• Charlotte
  • Becky Lynch
  • Naomi (c)
  • Natalya
  • Carmella
  • Tamina

Lana is yet to debut so she may appear in the match as well. The women's division on Smackdown has quality, but with Nikki Bella out and Eva Marie unlikely to return they are light on talent.  

Another topic is the upcoming Extreme Rules PPV tomorrow.. Oh wow does this PPV look bad.

• Rich Swann & Sasha Banks vs Noam Dar & Alisha Fox (Mixed Tag Match)
  • Neville vs Austin Aries (Submission Match) [Cruiserweight Championship]
  • Hardy Boyz vs Cesaro & Sheamus (Steel Cage Match) [Raw Tag Team Championship]
  • Alexa Bliss vs Bayley (Kendo Stick on a Pole Match) [Raw Women's Championship]
  • Dean Ambrose vs The Miz (If Ambrose is DQ'd, he will lose the Title) [Intercontinental Championship]
  • Reigns vs Rollins vs Balor vs Wyatt vs Joe (Extreme Rules Fatal 5-Way) [Universal Title No.1 Contendership]

Out of all of those matches the only one that sounds interesting is the Extreme Rules Fatal 5-Way. The Steel Cage Match may be fun, but that stipulation stopped being exciting years and years ago. I'm not sure I'll be watching this one live, it looks extremely skippable minus one or two matches.. 

PS. Having a stipulation where the loser is the one being DQ'd at an event called Extreme Rules is stupid. 

Went to Swindon comic con today. 

Tugboat, Bushwacker Luke, Brutus Beefcake and Harry Smith (replacing Marty Janetty) were all there.

Tugboat is one of the nicest guys I've met.  He even laughed about the time he fell over as the Shockmaster.

Very pleased with that result, didn't watch the event nor will I, but I was hoping he'd win the 5-way so might have to watch the ensuing match.

This coming weekend is the biggest annual deathmatch tournament in the world - CZW's Tournament of Death. There's an interesting line up, and it should be good. This weekend just gone, though, the direct rival to that tournament took place - GCW's Tournament of Survival. I have seen deathmatches and tournaments that have taken place all over the world during the last couple of decades or so. This one may have topped the lot. It was completely insane from start to finish. The main event is definitely a contender for my MOTY, the intensity was off the chart. They must have used about 100 lightubes, which were almost exclusively used to the head, totally **** nuts. Also on the card was Masashi Takeda, of BJW fame, against Marcus Crane who will apparently take any punishment dished out. This was a 'f***ery boards' match, and included a barbedwire board (pretty standard), a skewers board (pretty sick), open scissors board (defo sick), razor blade board (gross) and, to finish the match...a saw board. To which Crane took a pretty gnarly slam. The rest of the event included such delights as Zandig taking two weedwhacker shots, SHLAK being hung from the ceiling via meat hooks, and Gage beating Lloyd in one of the most horrifying deathmatch squashes you will ever see. It was an event that will spoken about for years to come I expect.

It also laid some groundwork for what appears to be a GCW v CZW fued. I guess we'll see if the GCW guys will turn up at ToD this weekend, but it wouldn't be much of a surprise if they did.

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Samoa joe vs Brock Lesnar, now thats a intriguing one. Did not expect that. 

Spoiler

I was hoping that he would not win just because of the fact that this will most likely be a one-off match. I was hoping that he would have a proper build up and a longer program between the two. 

2 hours ago, Villaphan04 said:
  Hide contents

I was hoping that he would not win just because of the fact that this will most likely be a one-off match. I was hoping that he would have a proper build up and a longer program between the two. 

Spoiler

Good point, so who is the face of the match Brock?

i reckon it will be Finn vs lesnar at ss

aLso on a side note I have a feeling cass is turning heel which for me is needed the tag team has gone naff

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:
  Hide contents

Good point, so who is the face of the match Brock?

i reckon it will be Finn vs lesnar at ss

aLso on a side note I have a feeling cass is turning heel which for me is needed the tag team has gone naff

Spoiler

Tonight's Raw will be interesting with all of the new set-ups. Also, rumors have it being strowman v brock at SS. That Cass/Enzo angle does make me think a heel turn is on the cards. 

Anybody watch NXT this week? Itami v Lorcan was on the card, and it wasn't so much 'Strong Style', more 'King's Road' :D brutally stiff. Kobashi should be proud.

Â