The Wrestling Topic

Vandrell

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

The Royal Rumble will be for the title for the first time since 1992.

Wasnt that the year were Ric Flair won it? That was probably one of the best RR ever, I remember Sid Vicious and Hogan going at it and Hogan getting pissed at Sid for eliminating him. Thats when wrestling was good

Edited by Demitri_C

21 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Wasnt that the year were Ric Flair won it? That was probably one of the best RR ever, I remember Sid Vicious and Hogan going at it and Hogan getting pissed at Sid for eliminating him. Thats when wrestling was good

It was.  One of my favourite rumble matches.

8 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Likewise.  That and the one that was shown on channel 4.  Think it was 2000. Purely for the fact that I didn't have Sky at the time and it was the first time I could watch a PPV live.

Likewise.  That and the one that was shown on channel 4.  Think it was 2000. Purely for the fact that I didn't have Sky at the time and it was the first time I could watch a PPV live.

Yeah 2000, but Austin being injured took away from it for me. We did get to see Mae Young's bewbs though.

Honourable mentions to 96, 99, 01 and 04 rumbles.

2000 Rumble was good because seemingly everybody I knew watched it because it was on Channel 4, whereas previously I was one of a few losers who liked wrestling at school :)

But in reality I don't think it was a great event. The 99 Rumble was far better, imo.

It's ghey I know but I really want to have a Royal Rumble or Wrestlemania night where I get lots of mates round and we watch it. Problem is hardly anyone watches it anymore and those that do probably don't want to stay up and watch it. It's the only 2 ppvs I ever watch properly anymore.

3 minutes ago, omariqy said:

It's ghey I know but I really want to have a Royal Rumble or Wrestlemania night where I get lots of mates round and we watch it. Problem is hardly anyone watches it anymore and those that do probably don't want to stay up and watch it. It's the only 2 ppvs I ever watch properly anymore.

Rumble is probably easier to watch to get people around as you wouldnt need to know people that much as people come and go every few minutes

9 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

2000 Rumble was good because seemingly everybody I knew watched it because it was on Channel 4, whereas previously I was one of a few losers who liked wrestling at school :)

But in reality I don't think it was a great event. The 99 Rumble was far better, imo.

2000 was a brilliant event, had 2 cracking matches plus Taz debut and a good Rumble, not even ruined by the bikini contest :o  99 was pretty dull and predictable all around

99 Rumble was pure Russo.  Couldn't just have a straight forward Rumble match.  Run ins, asylum doctors, bathroom beatings, abductions by a satanic cult and ambulance stealing.  I know Russo is a bit of a douche these days and deservedly gets stick but he was a huge part of the success of the Attitude era.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

2000 was a brilliant event, had 2 cracking matches plus Taz debut and a good Rumble, not even ruined by the bikini contest :o  99 was pretty dull and predictable all around

I have pretty much the opposite view.

13 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

99 Rumble was pure Russo.  Couldn't just have a straight forward Rumble match.  Run ins, asylum doctors, bathroom beatings, abductions by a satanic cult and ambulance stealing.  I know Russo is a bit of a douche these days and deservedly gets stick but he was a huge part of the success of the Attitude era.

and Gillberg

13 minutes ago, omariqy said:

Loved Taz's debut.  Had no idea who he was really as I wasn't that aware of ECW.  However the music was awesome and you could tell by the reaction of the crowd that it was a pretty big deal.

It was awesome, they obviously had big plans for him as he beat Kurt Angle's streak but they soon **** that up and literally a year later he was a fat and shit commentator. 

Taz was great, but even in his ECW days I found that little leotard ridiculous. It was even worse when he didn't wear boots either and had that 'wild man' gimmick. But then, he was tough as nails so it didn't really matter what he was wearing, you knew he could suplex anyone out of their boots.

And in regards to him beating Angle and then not getting the push you may have expected, did that not have something to do with Mike Awesome going to WCW as the ECW champ, so Tazz then went back to ECW to beat him and 'save' the title for ECW, although he was a WWF wrestler at the time? ECW fans detested WCW, not so much WWF though as the first invasion angle pushed the Barely Legal PPV sales, if memory serves.

Edited by hogso
Beat me if you can..........survive if I let you

Â