258 members have voted

1. 1. Chances He Leaves

• Very Likely
    • Somewhat Likely
    • 50/50
    • Probably Not
    • Definitely Not

.....Thats interesting,

I'm not sure what will happen, but I would suspect that, if he goes it will be of his own volition.

I suspect some folk will look at the departures

Arron Hughes

Craig Gardner

Kevin Phillips

Gary Cahill

Steven Davis

JLloyd Samuel

Gavin McCann

Thomas Sorensen

Zat Knight

and say we have spent c £100 million to improve our squad and yet these boys above are still performing in the prem and are not involved in any relegation teams.....??????? just being devils advocate.

Sorry, but i'd have none of them back. We've improved on every one of them.

OK, my question is , those players above got the Villa in O'Neills first season to 10th (apart from Knight obviously, but we had Mellberg who was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better)

So if he has improved on every player we had - why are we only going to finish 2 places higher (probably) - or even god forbid - 1 place !

Or five or six places.

and if we do - fine. But if you were a betting man, you would say 8th at the moment, and if you argue that, then you are aguing for arguings sake

So come on, its a good point.

If he was left with such dross, why did that dross achieve 10th, and after spending 4 yrs rebuilding and spending 138m in the process only 2 places higher ?

Just shows what Dross has replaced dross !

Or five or six places.

and if we do - fine. But if you were a betting man, you would say 8th at the moment, and if you argue that, then you are aguing for arguings sake

I'd say 6th or 7th. I think to say Villa will most likely finish 8th or 9th is too pessimistic and to say we'll finish 4th or 5th is too optimistic.

.....Thats interesting,

I'm not sure what will happen, but I would suspect that, if he goes it will be of his own volition.

I suspect some folk will look at the departures

Arron Hughes

Craig Gardner

Kevin Phillips

Gary Cahill

Steven Davis

JLloyd Samuel

Gavin McCann

Thomas Sorensen

Zat Knight

and say we have spent c £100 million to improve our squad and yet these boys above are still performing in the prem and are not involved in any relegation teams.....??????? just being devils advocate.

Sorry, but i'd have none of them back. We've improved on every one of them.

OK, my question is , those players above got the Villa in O'Neills first season to 10th (apart from Knight obviously, but we had Mellberg who was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better)

So if he has improved on every player we had - why are we only going to finish 2 places higher (probably) - or even god forbid - 1 place !

Yes because no other teams have improves, not like Tottenham have spent loads and got top class players or that Man City have spent loads of millions.

Also most of them weren't even regulars.

I think it also shows how hard it is to take that final step. Spurs have barely moved in that time, Everton either, it's relatively simple to climb into a position where you're in the top eight to ten of the Premiership. Any club with about £100m to spend can manage it over the course of a few seasons.

It takes a lot of luck, a bit of nous or another couple of hundred million to make that extra step.

I think we're about where we should be on our spend and with the players in our squad. Things are changeable at the moment, City are just getting underway and things are tightening up a bit, I suspect that once we have more than four clubs regularly capable of a top four finish then things will open up a little more.

I think it'll be possible to take the extra step without spending the £300m it's taken Chelsea and will take City and I think we've got a reasonably good foundation.

It's been a bad week, but it's been a pretty good couple of years.

I think it also shows how hard it is to take that final step. Spurs have barely moved in that time, Everton either, it's relatively simple to climb into a position where you're in the top eight to ten of the Premiership. Any club with about £100m to spend can manage it over the course of a few seasons.

It takes a lot of luck, a bit of nous or another couple of hundred million to make that extra step.

I think we're about where we should be on our spend and with the players in our squad. Things are changeable at the moment, City are just getting underway and things are tightening up a bit, I suspect that once we have more than four clubs regularly capable of a top four finish then things will open up a little more.

I think it'll be possible to take the extra step without spending the £300m it's taken Chelsea and will take City and I think we've got a reasonably good foundation.

amen!

I would expect around 25 million for transfers next year, and if MON can't do it on that, then it just goes to show what a poor job he has done, because that should get you 2 class, or 3 good players - and surely after 4 yrs, that should be all you need,

I think we are just 2 class players away from having a really good go at the CL. How many players do you think we need?

Yup, thats more or less my thinking as well.

Amongst all the madness and baying for blood a voice of reason speaks.

Well said sir!

:clap:

Very true, there is no secret formula to get 4th spot. I have no idea if MON will get us 4th however long he is here but I think he is giving it a good go.

I would expect around 25 million for transfers next year, and if MON can't do it on that, then it just goes to show what a poor job he has done, because that should get you 2 class, or 3 good players - and surely after 4 yrs, that should be all you need,

I think we are just 2 class players away from having a really good go at the CL. How many players do you think we need?

Maybe, but we will need to spend £30mil to keep up, City, Spurs and the likes, will spend money.

Yes I agree - but but with a note of Caution.I think any decent manager and a reasonable amount of cash can get you top 8. I don't know the figures but Fulham and the blues spring to mind.

However MON has had considerably more cash than those to.....and is considered to be a bit more than a 'decent' manager.

I am hoping that MON'S low point can be the springboard - a bit like Graham Taylor - who came within a whisker of relegation - before getting runners up sport next year.

And Ron Saunders who survived a boardroom plot to oust him - and unpopular with fans over the sale of our heroes , Gray, Gidman, Deehan, etc - but the came back stronger.

Heres hoping !

well said mate.

out of everyone you speak a lot of sense on here.

Depends how long it takes for the likes of Ashley Young and Gabby to get pissed off with falling short every year.