Chances He Leaves  

258 members have voted

1. 1. Chances He Leaves

• Very Likely
    • Somewhat Likely
    • 50/50
    • Probably Not
    • Definitely Not

Your post is all ifs buts and maybes. Only time would tell if we would regret it or not. Personally I thought Arsenal were mad when they got rid of George Graham - look where they are now (yes, I know there was one year in between).

No one knows how we would get on, we could get Mourinho, and be awful, we could get Hughes and win the league. If I remember, Ron Saunders wasn't exactly successful when he joined the Villa !.

However , as much as it is ifs buts and maybes - it is your post thats says it - not me

"a rift between manager and fans" " a rift between manager and owner" "a rift between manager and players"

If it is true - there is one common denomenator there !

There is also one name that stands out

Martin Jol

However, why he would quit the biggest club in his home country is beyond me, should have pounced last year.

Billy Davies - just to clarify here - I AM NOT SAYING I WANT HIM !!! - but he strikes me as a modern day Graham Taylor. I actually think, given backing he could do a very decent job for a top team. It wouldn't be attractive, but it would be successful.

Martin Jol it should be remembered failed to achieve top 4 football when at Spurs after the club spent shed loads of cash (admittedly by whoever was the DOF at the time).

Billy Davies???? I can see that appointment shifting scores of season tickets.

None of the names I've seen mentioned who we could realistically attract are as good as the manager that we currently have (imo of course). I reckon he'll be still here come next season and I for one will be very happy if that's the case.

Please read my post - ESPECIALLY THE WORDS IN CAPITAL !!!

I didn't say I wanted Billy Davies - in fact, I'd be flipping fuming if we got Billy Davies. I just think Billy davies given the right club (maybe a Newcastle or Blackburn) coulf achieve a lot more than people think !

here here!

i cant understand this mentality that could end up driving one of the best managers we have had out of the club!

Nobody is trying to drive him out of the club.

read some of the other topics! they are not exactly supporting him!

but hey, pessimism seems to be the language of the midlands

Guest Ricardomeister

Although I dont think it would achieve anything by MON going now (I would review his position in the summer) I would have him a long, long way behind Taggart, Wenger and Ancelotti and also behind Moyes, Hodgson, Twitchy and FSW and at the moment I would have him on a par with Mancini and Pulis.

I cannot see any bigger club realistically coming in for MON if he did go. To me, he is a good manager and nothing more. MON has obviously brought positives but also negatives which the rose tinted specs brigade cannot seem to acknowledge.

Whether MON stays or goes would have no bearing on the renewal of my season ticket as I will definitely be renewing again.

UTV SOTC

People were saying the same when Spurs sacked Jol. They got it wrong when they appointed Ramos, but then made up for it by appointing Redknapp. It's not about appointing a boss, and just sticking by him come what may. it's about appointing the right boss, and I don't think O'Neill is that man. He hasn't been a disaster by any means, and has bought some good players, but hasn't got them playing well enough, and hasn't been able to sustain the team after February, which is pretty poor after four years.

Of course we could muck it up by appointing a Ramos, or we could appoint a Redknapp, who'd then build on the good players he inherited, whilst adding to it with players of his own.

I'd trust Randy to appoint a boss who was an improvement on O'Neill, who I believe has taken us as far as he can. Randy's the most important bloke at Villa, NOT O'Neill.

It's always interesting to see what other fans make of this mornings nonsense:

From Skysports

Ian Mo (Manchester United fan) says...

When SAF does retire from Man Utd we need younger world class potential talent like Martin who would be a fantastic option to replace him, sort it out Villa. Aye

Posted 18:13 30th March 2010

Matthew Smith (Arsenal fan) says...

Perhaps O'Neill is not the God everyone thinks he is. A good tactical manager with attacking instincts and an organised team yes, but Arsenal don't spend bucketloads of cash because the manager has a superb eye for quality, and look where we are. Blaming lack of funds is the preserve of a manager not quite good enough to make the grade in this league. My guess is that O'Neill, like Benitez, can't spot potential like Ferguson or Wenger.

Posted 17:48 30th March 2010

Rob Franks (Liverpool fan) says...

O'Niell has been spotted entering Celtic Park about an hour ago

Posted 17:48 30th March 2010

Tim Skellon (Portsmouth fan) says...

I can't believe that, after what's happened to Portsmouth this season, people are still clamouring for bigger transfer budgets! Surely this is the time when all clubs need to make doubly sure they are living within their means and not spending over the odds for mediocre players like Delph (£6m!) and Warnock (even worse at £7m)! Comments that the board "need to cope [sic] on" and "back the modest Clough" (by the way: don't make me laugh, you're comparing O'Neill to Clough?!) are incredibly short-sighted when you consider that the board are the ones who get all the blame when the administrators are called in (and rightly so). If I were chairman of Villa, I'd be wanting to make sure my "genius" manager wasn't spending silly sums of money on average players before I backed him with anything that the club couldn't sustain.

Posted 17:45 30th March 2010

Paul Dempsey (Celtic fan) says... This tosser obviously didn't get the memo about MON's wife being gravely ill with cancer at that time

If O'Neill quits he'll only be following a pre-set pattern; he quits when the heat gets too hot to handle. He left Celtic high and dry after 5 successful years - the reasons to that departure have never been fully explained. I sincerely hope that if he does quit that he DOESN'T get offerred the Celtic job vacated by the sacking of Tony Mowbray....as much as I liked O'Neill as our manager, the way he left us left a bad taste in the mouth. If he truly loved Celtic as he claimed he did, then he would have come clean and been honest with the fans. He went down in my estimations from then on and quite frankly I couldn't care less what he does or what happens to him.

Posted 17:42 30th March 2010

Steven Bowyer (Manchester United fan) says...

Hang fire for a few years Martin, the theatre of dreams awaits! Dont sell your self short to Liverpool your better than the Europa league

Posted 17:33 30th March 2010

Olawunmi Raji (Manchester United fan) says...

Martin O Neil is a world class coach considering the resources at his disposal. The equation is " The bigger the squad, the better the chance finishing Top 4". There is no doubt or controversy about this. The Likes of Man Utd, Chelsea, Arsenal, Liverpool have a big squad. Man Utd deployed midfielders to defensive roles due to injuries. This would not have been possible if the players are not available. I am not talking of the quality this time around but the dept of the squad in terms of numbers of players. He was in this situation last season, which end his dream of finishing 4th. At the second half of the season, the gap between Villa and Arsenal was unbelievable but due to tired legs and injuries, he lost the position to Arsenal. Any club in the PL that want to compete with the top 4 must meet the criteria of the equation. Spur and Man City are a good example. Spur is going through injury crisis at the moment but they are still getting results due to the dept of the squad.

Posted 16:27 30th March 2010

Graham Morrissey (Manchester United fan) says...

it's the same every year, villa look good look good look good, fall away. it must be frustrating for the fans, no progress being made at all. need the squad, it's not as if o neill has a bad track record like, the owners needs to cope on or he'll lose him and then they'll be in trouble. O neill is just a less arrogant clough, genius.

Posted 16:20 30th March 2010

William O'connor (Celtic fan) says...

I hope they fire him, it will make it easier for him to come back to Glasgow.

Posted 16:13 30th March 2010

Chris Sansbury (Liverpool fan) says...

I would love him to quit and come to Liverpool. Im a Benitez supporter but i cant help but feel its time for a mangerial change and O'neil would be ideal!!!!

Posted 16:08 30th March 2010

Jon Greenwood (Liverpool fan) says...

Welcome to Anfield Martin.

Posted 15:58 30th March 2010

I wonder if the same people who are turning their backs on O'Neill now are the ones who cheered him through the doors of Villa Park.

We've improved under O'Neill, and if we trust in him, we'll improve again.

People are letting the market forces our club faces at the present time and a very rare result affect their judgement.

You don't know what you've got until its gone.

I wonder if the same people who are turning their backs on O'Neill now are the ones who cheered him through the doors of Villa Park.

We've improved under O'Neill, and if we trust in him, we'll improve again.

People are letting the market forces our club faces at the present time and a very rare result affect their judgement.

You don't know what you've got until its gone.

I don't believe he can take us any further with his style and tactics. I will still be here supporting side nevertheless.

All those posts go to show that 99% of fans know bugger all about what goes on at teams other than the ones they support.

Martin O Neil is a world class coach
Er, no he isn't.

When SAF does retire from Man Utd we need younger world class potential talent like Martin

Well he's younger than Ferguson, but hardly a spring chicken at 58.

From looking at some of those messages, there are so many gloryhunters out there who know jack shit about football.

MON ain't a world class coach, and he certainly won't be in the Manure or Liverpool jobs in the future. He's just not the right manager for either.

All that shows is those fans read the Sun

Unless you watch your team week after week you have no idea whats going on.

Ask any fan outside Birmingham about Graham Taylor - what response would you get ?

ask any fan (including Villa fans) about David O'Leary at Leeds and the response you got (including me) was "Leeds in the top 4 and they aren't happy"

All these people see is the MON TV personality, and how is this "small squad" still being raised. We haven't got a small squad, we only have the same number of players as other teams, they are just of lesser quality !

By the way, dont think it has been pointed out yet. If it is about money to spend

An average 50 quid increase in season tickets x 30000 = 15 million quid.

Add to that any shirt sponsorship, plus getting rid of deadwood players like Harewood and hopefully Heskey.

I would expect around 25 million for transfers next year, and if MON can't do it on that, then it just goes to show what a poor job he has done, because that should get you 2 class, or 3 good players - and surely after 4 yrs, that should be all you need,

i think the club does need to give out a quick statement on this topic. In a away it would just close this talk of him 'walking' or arguing. its been reported he never even met Lerner yesterday LOL. But still i feel the club should come out and gave a quick statement!