News story of the day

BOF

2 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

It's sickening that Sunak is now coming out trying to get the credit for finally sorting the compensation.

The narrative is very much too little too late and only became involved when his hand was forced by a TV drama and that he had very little personal interest till then. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sidcow said:

The narrative is very much too little too late and only became involved when his hand was forced by a TV drama and that he had very little personal interest till then. 

This is why it's so sickening, he is acting as though they have only just found out about it,  yet I the Government knew about it nearly 25 years ago.

39 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

Yeah, was hoping even the stupid ones won't fall for this one!

I’m sure Labour and some parts of the media are waiting to remind people it was the Tories that gave her an honour as recently as 2019 despite all that had happened.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Yeah, was hoping even the stupid ones won't fall for this one!

Well the evidence of my own eyes, says right now the stupid appear to be not falling for it

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

This is why it's so sickening, he is acting as though they have only just found out about it,  yet I the Government knew about it nearly 25 years ago.

The first article by Computer Weekly was 13 years ago, I doubt very much they knew about it from that. They might have started to have an inkling in 2011 when Private Eye started reporting it. For the 11 years prior to the CW article there was no reason for the government to not believe what the post office was telling them

In regards to the Post Office scandal, I had a feeling Toby Jones would bring a gravitas to his performance in the ITV drama. He has always portrayed himself as a man who cares deeply and genuinely about people who have been abused and had their character discredited. 

On 10/01/2024 at 11:12, Chindie said:

It's fairly damning that it took a TV dramatisation to actually get some mass movement on the Post Office scandal, when Private Eye and, to be fair, a few MPs have been banging the drum over how obviously it was a scandal and complete failure of justice, and barely anybody gave a **** and even less actually got some retribution from it.

just said exactly the same thing to MrsVM.

On and in the news for years and no one bats an eyelid. Histodrama about it on a TV channel and suddenly everyone's appalled (as they should be)

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

The Post Office investigator sounds like a die - hard "Koppite".

I got less than a minute into this video before I hated this prick. "I had no reason to suspect there was anything wrong with the horizon system, because I hadn't been told". You were not just part of an "investigation" department but the investigation manager. Did you try **** asking someone.

We've all worked with useless arse coverers like this, unless you staple information to their forehead they can't be expected to know something. They're ten a penny in most large organisations, just stupid warm bodies in chairs shuffling paper, but in an investigation department? Give me strength. Not being thick as shit must not have been on the person specification.

• Like 2

The Post Office investigator has done a good job at making himself appear to be a completely meritless bully sent in to find guilt rather than truth, and sounds like he could do with some time in the nick. Where you suspect his big tough man game wouldn't last long.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Chindie said:

The Post Office investigator has done a good job at making himself appear to be a completely meritless bully sent in to find guilt rather than truth, and sounds like he could do with some time in the nick. Where you suspect his big tough man game wouldn't last long.

If someone as clearly out of their depth as this guy, with no professional integrity, no curiosity, with this "just following orders gov" mindset was in charge, you can only imagine what kind of useful idiots were staffing his teams.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Crucial breakthrough journalism courtesy of the heavyweight journalists at, er, Car Dealer Magazine

Inchcape boss apologises as he admits being Fujitsu exec who made ‘Fort Knox’ claim at heart of Post Office scandal
Inchcape CEO named as Fujitsu official who likened faulty Horizon computer system to Fort Knox

National report says Duncan Tait made assurance to former Post Office CEO Paula Vennells

Tait admits Fort Knox comparison but says it was made in relation to ‘cyber and physical security’

Businessman also apologises for ‘any role that Fujitsu played’

Comment formed major part of Post Office’s defence during previous grilling of Vennells by MPs

https://cardealermagazine.co.uk/publish/paper-names-inchcape-boss-as-fujitsu-official-who-made-fort-knox-post-office-scandal-claim/296504

• 3 weeks later...

Chernobyl's mutant wolves appear to have developed resistance to cancer, study finds

The wolves are exposed to cancer-causing radiation as they roam the wastelands of the abandoned city - with researchers finding part of their genetic information seems resilient to increased risk of the disease.

Mutant wolves roaming the deserted streets of Chernobyl appear to have developed resistance to cancer - raising hopes the findings can help scientists fight the disease in humans.

A nuclear reactor exploded at the Chernobyl power plant in Ukraine in 1986 - with more than 100,000 people evacuated from the city as the blast released cancer-causing radiation. Cara Love, an evolutionary biologist and ecotoxicologist at Princeton University in the US, has been studying how the Chernobyl wolves survive despite generations of exposure to radioactive particles. 

The researchers discovered that Chernobyl wolves are exposed to upwards of 11.28 millirem of radiation every day for their entire lives - which is more than six times the legal safety limit for a human.

Ms Love found the wolves have altered immune systems similar to cancer patients undergoing radiation treatment, but more significantly she also identified specific parts of the animals' genetic information that seemed resilient to increased cancer risk.

https://news.sky.com/story/chernobyls-mutant-wolves-appear-to-have-developed-resistance-to-cancer-study-finds-13067292

Â