What actually constitutes a successful season for you?

bannedfromHandV

What actually constitutes a successful season for you?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. What actually constitutes a successful season for you?

• To be league champions, nothing else will do!
    • To qualify for the Champions League, simples!
    • The winning of either the League or FA Cup
    • Qualification for the Champions League and a win in either the League or FA Cup
    • Qualification for the Champions League and a good run in either the League or FA Cup
    • Lifting either the League or FA Cup plus finishing in the top 7
    • A good run in the League or FA Cup plus finishing top 7
    • Finishing in the top 7
    • Finishing upper mid-table
    • Avoiding relegation, nothing more, nothing less
    • As long as we finish above SHA I don't care!!
    • None of the above

I wonder what actually does constitute a successful season for you? I mean this of course from a claret and blue point of view and not in wider footballing terms.

For me at the moment it's finishing top 7 with a good crack at at least one of the cups, which we have already achieved, finishing above SHA is mandatory whilst having players in the England squad can be an indication of your clubs stature though perhaps not as pertinent as in years gone by.

For me, it feels sometimes on here and amongst our fans in general that there is a real lack of realism in expectations almost to the point of delusion, but is it actually that my expectations are ridiculously low? Is it wrong for me to consider finishing top 7 as being successful? I don't know, but hopefully a nice little poll might just help to see where we're all at in terms of our genuine expectations.

Please keep in mind that this is a poll for actual expectations not hopes or aspirations, and I am aware that more than one of the options would constitute success but which one most applies to what you would like to expect to happen each August, thanks.

Top six and a good cup run were my expectations this season. I actually thought our good cup run might be in the Waffa but two good cup runs in the domestic cups has surpassed my expectations. If we finish top 6 now which we should then this will have been a great season. even if we finish lower its obvious to see we are making progress and in the end that's all you can ask for. We've seen enough seasons staying still or going backward pre the Randy-lution.

More points and better goal difference than last season, are my primary measuring targets. Hopefully that's make sure we improve on last year's sixth' spot. Top four isn't anything I would dare to expect, but it would have been fantastic.

Oh, and a good cup run? I think we already have that, compared to the last three years. The eventual results in the FA cup from now on is a handsome bonus.

finishing 7 now, and assuming we lost in the fa cup semis to chelsea and I would say it was a satisfactory season in terms of expectations though I would feel a little underwhelmed. 5th or 6th plus winning the FA Cup is what I'm most hoping for.

For a team that lost it's spine in Laursen and Barry ( I'd also include Bouma ), just coming close to last season's points total would have presented a good season if you had asked me before the season started, and deffinitely after the Wigan game. Now, perspectives change rapidly. I remember there were people during the big meltdown who predicted we'd have a relegation fight, others said we'd struggle to make top 10, now some of the same people try to present finishing 6th/7th as a failure.

I think the most important aspect for me would be the general feel good factor that we have, the sense of purpose and bright future and what we've already achieved has surpassed my expectations from the summer, so whatever happens until the end of the season, I consider it a step forward and a successful one.

progress in the league. The aim has to be top 4, so achieving that would be success.

i don't think we'll get there, however.

the cups are a nice distraction.

Whoops clicked wrong box.

Can you take mine out of winning the FA Cup, and put it in the win the cup and top 7 finish !.

Personally, I'd put another one in

Top 4 - or , top 7 with a cup win - thats what I am looking for (although I think the backlog of fixtures is going to cost us in the end.)

Guest Ricardomeister

A top 6 finish with no trophy would be the bare minimum for me as anything less would be a step backwards, resultswise. Winning the FA Cup and finishing 7th (or higher) would be a successful season. If we don't win the FA Cup then finishing 4th would still be a successful season imo. Not winning the FA Cup and finishing 5th would be good but nothing to get over excited about.

This season's been a successful one already for me. It's been years since I've been able to get as excited about as many matches at this stage of the season as this year. We had the cup final and a Wembley day out, could have won it if the ref had been competent and we now have the chance to get back to Wembley again on Sunday. I voted top 7 with a good run in the cups so for me this year has been a good one watching the Villa. We're moving forwards.

Hard to define as each season could have really different circumstances.

We could have lost Dunne and Gabby in pre-season, and then you could have argued top 7 is a very good season.

Whoops clicked wrong box.

Can you take mine out of winning the FA Cup, and put it in the win the cup and top 7 finish !.

Personally, I'd put another one in

Top 4 - or , top 7 with a cup win - thats what I am looking for (although I think the backlog of fixtures is going to cost us in the end.)

That option is already in there big chief?

I'm already satisfied with what we have achieved in the cups (though given who are left in the fa cup and the game coming up would be a little dissapointed if we got knocked out now).

7th is the bare minimum. Would like 4th place but would be happy if we stay in the race for 4th until mid April.

Either win the FA Cup and finish top six or Finish fourth.

Having said that I'm happy enough with the progress made.

Same for me to be honest. To be honest, if we don't finish in the top four, or finish in the top seven and win a trophy, then in my opinion this season will be another opportunity missed to push on.

I could take one poor league season in exchange for a cup, just so long as we are back at it in the league the following year. Everton have had a couple of poor league years under Moyes but seem to still be there or thereabouts the following year.

There are just too many options in that poll!! :lol:

I wanted to try and cover all the angles, otherwise you end up with people moaning that their preference isn't an option etc......

Who'd have thought being thorough would back-fire on me!? :oops: