The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

4 hours ago, gwi1890 said:

From Darlaston as @OutByEaster? pointed out he’s as humble as they come outside of the ring . He puts a show on in the ring whats the big deal? I hope he goes far.  

You can get away with a little show boating like Eubank senior did, but doing it all through the fight is huge disrespect to his opponent, no need at all an I like Whittiker. Need to get him in with someone he has no time with. Maybe get the smart arse in with Buatsi next, see if he does it then!

There is the odd bit of show boating then there is what he did. 

Turning his back, dancing like a tit. It was the whole fight. 

Like has been said, let's see how he behaves when he's in against someone who can actually fight. I'd suggest if he started doing all that, he will be getting slapped. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Just reading an article about Benn fighting Gervonta Davis, I would fancy GD to knock Benn out, and would love to see it. Has to be one of the most unlikable fighters around today. 

After Whittaker, of course ;) 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Besides the showboating, can Whittaker make it far? 

He's been matched appallingly so far, considering Boxxer and Sky paid a fortune to sign him.

He's an Olympic silver medalist and practically won everything there is to win in the amatuer ranks.

Being matched with a bloke that's got a losing record in your sixth fight is embarrassing given his pedigree.

Also, the showboating has to stop. Showboat when your boxing at your boxing at Euro level, fringe world level to make a name for yourself and put yourself on the world stage.

But when your boxing blokes with a losing records and pirouetting and taping them on the head makes you look a complete b****end. 

Match him with a Pitters, Lyndon Arthur or Craig Richards and i'm sure the showboating would soon stop.

• Like 1

Acquaintance of mine - friend of a friend who gave us some boxing training pointers a while ago - is fighting this weekend in Brentwood. I think I've mentioned him in here before when I went to see him in the amateurs. He made his pro debut last year in Cardiff (a 4 round pts draw) and is stepping down from Heavyweight to fight at Cruiserweight this weekend. Opponent is 4-0-0 to his 0-0-1, with a pts win against the same oponent Tobie drew against on his record. Some of you may have read about him in the papers a couple of years ago when he decided to chane his sedantry lifestyle.

Man who weighed 26 stone and scoffed 35 Double Deckers weekly drops 11 stone in a year

Tobie Vermeire, 29, admits he would have ‘eaten himself to death’ if he had not made changes to his lifestyle. A 26-stone man who scoffed 35 Double Deckers every week until he was so obese he 'couldn't put his socks on' has lost 11 stone in a year in a bid to become a professional boxer.

I think he was on a C4 programme too as well as his transformative story being in the press and he's amassed a fairly sizeable social media following. Here's a then and now.

1_PAY-KNM_DOUBLE_DECKER_OBSESSED_BLOKE_8

th?id=OIP.rOkIjYD2Frqmy8brQaq6YAHaHa%26p

He is such a genuine guy. I wish him well. His story is truly inspiring. He's acheived his goal of becoming a pro boxer within 3 years. A walking, talking monument to determination and hard work. He's a pretty humble guy. I hope the next time I see him I can still remind him he's an unbeaten pro as I did when he was downplaying his draw on debut.

So 6 rounds at Cruiserweight on Saturday and the other guy has 2tko's in his 4-0-0. although a points win against the same opponent Tobie's draw was against last time out. Either way it looks a tough matchup on paper. Someone I know suggested it might be streamed or televised in some way but I haven't found out where or if that's true yet but if anyone knows a heads up would be appreciated.

Anyway fanboy moment over.

Edited by VILLAMARV
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, Avfc96 said:

He's been matched appallingly so far, considering Boxxer and Sky paid a fortune to sign him.

He's an Olympic silver medalist and practically won everything there is to win in the amatuer ranks.

Being matched with a bloke that's got a losing record in your sixth fight is embarrassing given his pedigree.

Also, the showboating has to stop. Showboat when your boxing at your boxing at Euro level, fringe world level to make a name for yourself and put yourself on the world stage.

But when your boxing blokes with a losing records and pirouetting and taping them on the head makes you look a complete b****end. 

Match him with a Pitters, Lyndon Arthur or Craig Richards and i'm sure the showboating would soon stop.

Nassem Hamed was doing somersaults from day one. It's just part of his personality and as long as he keeps winning, he's not bothered one bit about some not liking it.

15 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Besides the showboating, can Whittaker make it far? 

You don't win a silver medal without having some talent. I think he will reach European title level, then it becomes a matter of the amount of dedication and hard work he's prepared to put in. Natural talent still needs to be nurtured in the right way.

Naseem, as good as he was, soon realised that when you neglect the discipline side of the game, you get found out, hence, the loss to Barrera.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

46 minutes ago, Genie said:

Audley Harrison says hi :D 

Same with Frankie Gavin and a lot of successful amateurs. Nothing is guaranteed, but you're more likely to have success in the professional game if you excelled at amatuer level. There are way more successful examples than failures.

I mean Frankie Gavin is still the only British amaruer to win gold at the World Championships, but just didn't have the grit for the paying side of the game.

• Like 1

Looking forward to the Sheeraz v Williams fight. I've been quite impressed so far in what Sheeraz has shown. His style reminds me a bit of the Mexican Monster, Benavides, he has good height for the weight and he really puts some lovely combinations together. Williams isn't a bad test for this stage of Sheeraz's career, but I don't see it going the distance and expect Williams to get stopped in the 5th or 6th.

On 07/02/2024 at 12:07, sheepyvillian said:

Same with Frankie Gavin and a lot of successful amateurs. Nothing is guaranteed, but you're more likely to have success in the professional game if you excelled at amatuer level. There are way more successful examples than failures.

I mean Frankie Gavin is still the only British amaruer to win gold at the World Championships, but just didn't have the grit for the paying side of the game.

Frankie Gavin was a coke head and just not dedicated the way he should have been. He was doing it right they way through his career. Facts

7 minutes ago, avfc1982am said:

Frankie Gavin was a coke head and just not dedicated the way he should have been. He was doing it right they way through his career. Facts

That's no surprise to me. I sometimes drank in the same pub as him. Like I said, you need dedication and discipline to succeed in professional boxing. However, even without the drink and coke, I don't think he had the power for the paying side of the sport.

Perfect technique for the amateurs, but not the pro's. He's not the only stellar amateur to come up short in the pro's, the list is endless. Errol Christie was another prime example as was Audley Harrison.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

That's no surprise to me. I sometimes drank in the same pub as him. Like I said, you need dedication and discipline to succeed in professional boxing. However, even without the drink and coke, I don't think he had the power for the paying side of the sport.

Perfect technique for the amateurs, but not the pro's. He's not the only stellar amateur to come up short in the pro's, the list is endless. Errol Christie was another prime example as was Audley Harrison.

I agree.... The thing is as kids they get lauded over before even getting to the pro's. For what it's worth he's supposed to be a really good lad but like many boxers who've been in the gym since they were kids, sooner or later many end up playing up as adults. I had similar experiences myself as a 17/18 year old after 9 years in a gym and 6 boxing in the amateurs. You go a bit crazy when you hit a certain age unless you've got the right people keeping you on the straight and narrow. One of my good friends as a kid, and a fantastic amateur ended up on heroin, It ruined his life. 

And yeah, some kids are brilliant amateurs but when it comes to the pro's they never quite have the pop in their punches to hang with the big boys. Having a good level of power and ring craft as a bloke is such a determining factor when stepping into the pro's. 

• Like 1

What a scintillating performance from Sheeraz against Williams. Absolutely blitzed him in the first round. Very rare you see such patience and precision from one so young. 

This kid will be a World Champion, trust me. Frightening potential. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

I really hope Buatsi and Yarde decide to get it on, apparently they are both eager, with Buatsi ringside last night to see Yarde beat his opponent in 3rds.

I really would call it a 50/50 fight, but if you pressed me, maybe Yarde, on account of his calibre of opposition. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

13 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

One of my good friends as a kid, and a fantastic amateur ended up on heroin, It ruined his life. 

It wouldn't surprise me if I knew him. 

A good promising boxer that I knew, from back in the day, also ended up throwing it all away . He's now serving 25yrs in prison. 

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I really hope Buatsi and Yarde decide to get it on, apparently they are both eager, with Buatsi ringside last night to see Yarde beat his opponent in 3rds.

I really would call it a 50/50 fight, but if you pressed me, maybe Yarde, on account of his calibre of opposition. 

I would give it to Yarde 

Â