The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

On 20/01/2024 at 23:17, foreveryoung said:

Jonas and Mayer fight. Don't think Jonas won that, but I guess home ground, Champion and all. Big issue Mayer not having a rematch clause too, Jonas can retire now as Champion.

In regards to rematch clauses, did Sunny Edwards have one in his fight with Bam Bam? I know he lost, and, tbf, to a great fighter, but Sunny did have his moments. 

7 minutes ago, phily85 said:

Fury has a cut from sparring fight off

Quelle surprise. 

9 minutes ago, phily85 said:

Fury has a cut from sparring fight off

What an absolute dosser!

Watching the Usyk interview the other day when asked if it will go ahead, he said he’d believe it when they are in the ring.

3 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Looks a really deep cut, can’t see how that uppercut would cause it. 

No actual evidence that video is from today either

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

No actual evidence that video is from today either

It seems to cut away as he’s about to show the cut to the camera, which is a bit odd.

Was never convinced fight would happen, I've thought that for every fury fight for the last 4/5 years.

Looks a nasty cut but not convinced his prep is as it should be anymore

He dodged Joshua, making up excuses and blaming AJ when the contract wasn’t the same. He’s now dodging Usyk. Leaves a huge stain on his reputation and why you can’t put him high up the best ever lists. I’m convinced he has no inclination to fight again, and should just go off to wwe

34 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

He dodged Joshua, making up excuses and blaming AJ when the contract wasn’t the same. He’s now dodging Usyk. Leaves a huge stain on his reputation and why you can’t put him high up the best ever lists. I’m convinced he has no inclination to fight again, and should just go off to wwe

I'm not having he dodged Joshua, a fit and focused Fury beats AJ every day of the week, imo. He beat a better version of Klitschko than the one AJ fought. He beat an unbeaten Wilder with an offensive masterclass, twice, may I add. Now you're making an assumption that he's dodging Usyk, implying the cut is what, not real?

Boxers get cut in sparring all the time. Azzez was injured in the build - up to the Buatsi fight, Smith was also injured in the build - up to the second fight with Eubank, yet there was no suggestion anyone was ducking anyone. 

I don't think Fury gets anywhere near the top heavyweights of all time, but he's certainly in the top 3 best British heavyweights of all time. Lewis and Fitzsimmons, maybe get ahead of him, although a prime Bugner was no mug especially when you consider his resume.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, phily85 said:

Was never convinced fight would happen, I've thought that for every fury fight for the last 4/5 years.

Looks a nasty cut but not convinced his prep is as it should be anymore

It's a good point. The cut could well be a case of him taking his sparring too lightly. It's imperative that he is in tip - top condition, but does he have that drive and determination that all boxers at the elite level most certainly need.

As Hagler so famously said, "it's not so easy getting out of bed at 6am in the morning for a run when you're wearing silk pyjamas." Great fecking quote, by the way. Great fecking fighter too.

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I'm not having he dodged Joshua, a fit and focused Fury beats AJ every day of the week, imo. He beat a better version of Klitschko than the one AJ fought. He beat an unbeaten Wilder with an offensive masterclass, twice, may I add. Now you're making an assumption that he's dodging Usyk, implying the cut is what, not real?

Boxers get cut in sparring all the time. Azzez was injured in the build - up to the Buatsi fight, Smith was also injured in the build - up to the second fight with Eubank, yet there was no suggestion anyone was ducking anyone. 

I don't think Fury gets anywhere near the top heavyweights of all time, but he's certainly in the top 3 best British heavyweights of all time. Lewis and Fitzsimmons, maybe get ahead of him, although a prime Bugner was no mug especially when you consider his resume.

Only fighter to go the distance with Ali and Smokin Joe. Wonder what might have been if that fella he fought had not died and if he never fought our Henry that made him a pariah 

• Like 1

Just now, Follyfoot said:

Only fighter to go the distance with Ali and Smokin Joe. Wonder what might have been if that fella he fought had not died and if he never fought our Henry that made him a pariah 

I forgot about the tragedy. That never leaves the fighter who was responsible. McGuigan, Mancini, even Eubank Snr after the Watson fight, hence the hesitancy to finish Collins after putting him down, because he was certainly there to be put away. Once he lost that unbeaten record, he lost that desire, because he thrived on playing the pantomime villain. It's ironic how he gained so much respect in those courageous losses to Thompson. It killed him having to be forced to quit on the stool. What a warrior he was, I still think the first Benn fight is arguably the greatest fight between two British boxers.

As for Bugner, he took Ali the distance twice and gave Smokin Joe one hell of a fight. Incidentally, Cooper never forgave Harry Gibbs fot raising Bugner's hand, Coopet always came across as a slightly bitter man, I remember his constant criticism of Bruno, you sensed his resentment at Bruno finally getting over that line.

41 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I agree that he’d beat AJ, but neither party wanted to fight each other, and for me both made excuses around it and blamed the other. Fury setting ridiculous unachievable deadlines was to ensure the fight didn’t happen. 

I was never convinced this Usyk fight would go ahead

Im convinced Fury will never be at the top of his game again. His Mrs is forever on to him to quit. He has enough money now for generations,  an the family has always said its all about business, who unlike Usyk and AJ do it for the belts.

Ngannu beat him in everyone’s eyes but the judges. He might have not taken training seriously but he will definitely asking himself in private whether he is finished at the top.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 1

Just now, Genie said:

Ngannu beat him in everyone’s eyes but the judges. He might have not taken training seriously but he will definitely asking himself in private whether he is finished at the top.

That's what happens when you don't train and prepare correctly. I think he should have walked away, but without boxing, how does he fill that void.

I think the thought of him having to retire literally scares him. He needs that attention, and without boxing, he will still need attention, the worry then is, what kind of attention? 

• Like 2

There was talk of the camp not going well and him struggling with taking big hits from sparring partners and training badly.

I think it's probably time for him to have a bit of a think about whether he wants to do it anymore.

Â