The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

7 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Hope Smith don’t get it next. Seen all this shite out of him too prior to Canelo fight . He was gonna do this that and the other. Was the most meekest, tame attempt at challenging Canelo that I’ve seen from anyone. Lot will talk about how open Beterbiev was tonight and got caught. No,Yarde had balls like King Kong to stand in the fire, get off punches and knew he was gonna get wet in the process. I’d ask people to think carefully what has Callum Smith done in his career to make you suggest he’s brave enough to do what’s needed to beat Beterbiev. Guy lost to John Ryder FFS ( he did really )

It’s got to be the unification fight. Ultimately, that’s what the business is all about or should be. As a matter of interest, do you know if Canelo has a rematch clause or similar type of agreement with Bivol? 

Edited by Follyfoot

36 minutes ago, tinker said:

Yep, his power is unatural tbh, time will tell but I have my suspicions on it. 

Doping is rampant in fight sports, even look at yarde last night. He looked like he was chiseled out of granite, zero fat and he had muscles in places where normal people don't have places.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

It’s got to be the unification fight. Ultimately, that’s what the business is all about or should be. As a matter of interest, do you know if Canelo has a rematch clause or similar type of agreement with Bivol? 

Pretty sure he doesn’t. He wasn’t ranked at light heavyweight as he’d fought at super middleweight for a few fights previously. Fairly sure it was a voluntary defence. Bivol would make serious money in a rematch 

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I’d love to see Bivol - Beterbiev next. I made it sound in an earlier post that i don’t rate Bivol. Far from true . He’s obviously world class, makes it look easy. My concern would be his punching power. If Bivol can box rings around Beterbiev for 12 rounds and do him on points i take my hat off to him. I just don’t subscribe to this narrative that Beterbiev is a plodder who just “ catches up with you eventually “ He’s a class boxer. Decorated amateur. I’ll put it to you this way , i think Beterbiev will of seen fighters, similar, maybe not as good - as Bivol, before. I don’t think bivol will have faced anything to prepare him for Beterbiev. 

No one called him a plodder, he's a top - class operator and so is Bivol. It's a great match up with two very different, distinctive styles. If I had to call it, I would edge just towards Bivol on being the younger and fresher of the two. 

I got a sense from last night's fight that time is catching up with Berterbiev. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

No one called him a plodder, he's a top - class operator and so is Bivol. It's a great match up with two very different, distinctive styles. If I had to call it, I would edge just towards Bivol on being the younger and fresher of the two. 

I got a sense from last night's fight that time is catching up with Berterbiev. 

I’m not so sure. Last night was more about Anthony Yarde having the bollocks to get his punches off knowing he might have to shell a few in the process - which he did. I don’t think Smith or Buatsi would have the bravery to take a fight like that to Beterbiev - in fact im convinced they wouldn’t. Bivol, great boxer, not much power. I think Beterbiev takes over in that fight eventually. 

28 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Having watched the Yarde fight again. Them body shots from Beterbiev were telling. Yarde was blowing heavy from the second round. Reminded me of a vintage Mike Tyson, you don't notice the effect until you watch carefully. 

I noticed that watching it live, mouth wide open from the early rounds. Don’t know if you picked up something with Beterbiev that i noticed - the guy is a murderous puncher but he does not fight emotionally. Tyson, very heavy handed but he was full of emotion when he fought. It was the reason he fell apart when somebody punched back ( Douglas and Holyfield ) But this guy - he actually turns up the volume when someone attempts to drag him into a fight. It’s his calmness and coldness that’s actually the scary thing. 

19 hours ago, villa89 said:

Doping is rampant in fight sports, even look at yarde last night. He looked like he was chiseled out of granite, zero fat and he had muscles in places where normal people don't have places.

Doping is rampant definitely, but Yarde looks like it could just be his natural physique. Big muscles and low bodyfat doesn't automatically mean steroids. I'm more suspicious of the fighters who power up through the divisions, but Yarde has always fought at light heavy afaik?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I noticed that watching it live, mouth wide open from the early rounds. Don’t know if you picked up something with Beterbiev that i noticed - the guy is a murderous puncher but he does not fight emotionally. Tyson, very heavy handed but he was full of emotion when he fought. It was the reason he fell apart when somebody punched back ( Douglas and Holyfield ) But this guy - he actually turns up the volume when someone attempts to drag him into a fight. It’s his calmness and coldness that’s actually the scary thing. 

The Tyson that fought Douglas didn't even train for that fight. When Tyson was with Jacobs and a sober Rooney as his trainer, he was a wrecking ball. Unfortunately, Don King came along, and we all know what happened then.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, KentVillan said:

Doping is rampant definitely, but Yarde looks like it could just be his natural physique. Big muscles and low bodyfat doesn't automatically mean steroids. I'm more suspicious of the fighters who power up through the divisions, but Yarde has always fought at light heavy afaik?

Like Manny Pacquiao. 

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Canelo does have an option to rematch Bivol but the sensible thing would be to fight boxers at his own weight. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/01/2023 at 23:47, sheepyvillian said:

It was Canelo who asked for the fight.

No way in this World is Bivol an easy nights work for Beterbiev. If Yarde can give him a fight, then I'm pretty certain Bivol will. Bivol is a master of distance.

I think Bivol beats Berterbiev. Much younger, fresher and his power is also underestimated. He's a great all rounder. 

3 hours ago, avfc1982am said:

I think Bivol beats Berterbiev. Much younger, fresher and his power is also underestimated. He's a great all rounder. 

Who’s underestimating his power ?His last 8 wins, all subsequently since he stepped up to world level have gone 12 rounds. Tremendously skilled fighter. I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s a power puncher at this level. Is there something im missing ?

9 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Who’s underestimating his power ?His last 8 wins, all subsequently since he stepped up to world level have gone 12 rounds. Tremendously skilled fighter. I’ve seen nothing to suggest he’s a power puncher at this level. Is there something im missing ?

I didn't suggest he was a power puncher at this weight? Just that I feel in general his power is underestimated.  Either way, not being a knockout artist doesn't represent a fighter having no power. He has more than enough power to keep everyone of his opponents honest and imo that will include Berterbiev.    

41 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Any one seen the Kell Brook video going around ?

Think the hysteria over it is ridiculous to be honest. He's a retired boxer, its totally up to him if he wants to do a few lines while partying. He's not exactly glorifying it, someone filmed it and put it out without his consent.

Why do we keep up this constant narrative that it isn't rife in sports, politics and throughout the general public.

Thought the obligatory boxer combo at the end was funny though.

Edited by AVFCDAN

Â