The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

8 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

How did the judges at ringside have it?

I’m not sure. But given the history of official judge scorecards in big fights they may have done something controversial and out of step with everyone else.

Taylor says he needs 6-8 weeks recovery before he can put pressure on foot so that means in 2 months he can only start training then. ! Catterall needs to move on. Not worth it. Do a deal and go fight Prograis for the WBC. Probably a harder fight and would be in the states too but yeah screw that - go fight and get paid. 

The more I look at Yarde to win by KO in any round at 9-1 the more i am tempted to have a dabble. It’s not that implausible, yes he got stopped late by Kovalev but should never have got in that position and I think he is a better fighter now. That plus the age disparity and Yarde can certainly bang. Very tempting 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

The more I look at Yarde to win by KO in any round at 9-1 the more i am tempted to have a dabble. It’s not that implausible, yes he got stopped late by Kovalev but should never have got in that position and I think he is a better fighter now. That plus the age disparity and Yarde can certainly bang. Very tempting 

You never know. 

The elbow by Smith makes perfect sense when you see how quick the lump came up, no way is a glove doing that kind of damage with one punch, and from a fighter a Weight lower. He has form for being a dirty fighter, I remember the headbutt against Liam Williams which turned the fight in Smith's favour. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Beterbiev is a body language expert in the ring .If you are afraid he’ll know it very quickly. Joe Smith is a tough guy but he was petrified of Beterbiev the minute he felt the first punch. Yarde probably isn’t even as slick a boxer as Gvozdyk or Marcus Browne and he caught up to both of those in the end. Can’t see it personally. His best bet is the Callum Johnson approach - throw bombs, ya never know. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Beterbiev is a body language expert in the ring .If you are afraid he’ll know it very quickly. Joe Smith is a tough guy but he was petrified of Beterbiev the minute he felt the first punch. Yarde probably isn’t even as slick a boxer as Gvozdyk or Marcus Browne and he caught up to both of those in the end. Can’t see it personally. His best bet is the Callum Johnson approach - throw bombs, ya never know. 

I agree, but the disparity in the price is exceptional for someone who can hang a bit it’s not as if Beterbiev has never been down . Again, I fully expect him to have too much for  Yarde but  it is a lot closer than the bookies have made it in my opinion. Let’s face it, it’s not gonna go the distance is it

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I agree, but the disparity in the price is exceptional for someone who can hang a bit it’s not as if Beterbiev has never been down . Again, I fully expect him to have too much for  Yarde but  it is a lot closer than the bookies have made it in my opinion. Let’s face it, it’s not gonna go the distance is it

I do agree. Yarde throws single shots and with intent. He has to have success there to win the fight which will mean hurting beterbiev. Beterbiev will be stalking from the first bell. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I do agree. Yarde throws single shots and with intent. He has to have success there to win the fight which will mean hurting beterbiev. Beterbiev will be stalking from the first bell. 

I love the way he cuts off the ring and unloads, not a single concussive puncher but spiteful with every punch and very accurate, kind of grinds them into submission and takes the heart out of his opponents, frightening really 

Edited by Follyfoot

On 25/01/2023 at 20:56, Follyfoot said:

More tempted to have beterbiev first round , Yarde keeps his left hand far to low to go into a fight with the power beterbiev has, can't believe his been matched up with him tbh, no defense verses huge power from any angles at any distance. Wouldn't be paying to watch it either.

28 minutes ago, tinker said:

More tempted to have beterbiev first round , Yarde keeps his left hand far to low to go into a fight with the power beterbiev has, can't believe his been matched up with him tbh, no defense verses huge power from any angles at any distance. Wouldn't be paying to watch it either.

Yarde will probably get sparked out but fair play to him. Went to Russia to take on Kovalev and gave it a right go too. Taking on a murderous puncher tonight. Compare to all the hype Buatsi gets. He’s fought nobody. 

Edited by Johnnyp
  • Like 1

41 minutes ago, tinker said:

Not PPV

Edited by Follyfoot

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

I did enjoy Beterbiev giving Canelo Alverez a lesson in boxing when he fought last. Despite all his negatives, I rate Alverez hugely, an to see him get destroyed by Beterbiev was an example of his quality.

That was Bivol, not Beterbiev, who beat Alverez .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Good fight this with Iturma. He needs to be careful, he was definitely hurt in that last round.

What a right hand 

still ain’t at the races now 

Edited by Follyfoot

Â