The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Shell shocked at that outcome. Even Smith said he never envisaged winning in that manner. Nothing more detrimental for a boxer that getting over confident and thinking this is going to be an easy nights work.As much as I dislike the Smith's, you have to acknowledge a finish like that. 

I have to say as much of a condescending prick eubank jr comes across i think deep down its just for show to sell his fights.

Classy in defeat you like to see that

As for fight eubnak jr clearly took him too lightly i expect a rematch. Eubank jr was in control i think up until that brutal hit by smith

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

I have to say as much of a condescending prick eubank jr comes across i think deep down its just for show to sell his fights.

As for fight eubnak jr clearly took him too lightly i expect a rematch. Eubank jr was in control i think up until that brutal hit by smith

Rewatch confirmed already as part of the original contract. 

14 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think eubank jr wins rematch. He wont under estimate him.

But apparently we might see smith vs brook next

He was completely outclassed so will have to improve a lot next time.

I think for Eubank, he'll have one eye on the clock - he's starting to reach an age where having to take another fight with Smith in order to get close to the fights he wants means another year and another year might start getting him to the point where he knows he hasn't got it in the tank. I wouldn't be too surprised if he doesn't take the rematch.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Got too overconfident. Never underestimate your opponent .

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Genie said:

I’d be surprised if Smith didn’t win the first round. 2nd and 3rd fairly even. 4th Smith kicked Eubanks ass. 

What fight was you watching? Eubank was controlling the distance with the jab, but got cocky and that was that. 

23 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think for Eubank, he'll have one eye on the clock - he's starting to reach an age where having to take another fight with Smith in order to get close to the fights he wants means another year and another year might start getting him to the point where he knows he hasn't got it in the tank. I wouldn't be too surprised if he doesn't take the rematch.

Nothing stopping them fighting in about September. Then again, he may well think if Smith can do that to me, I might as well leave it at that. 

I just get the feeling his ego will want the rematch. 

5 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What fight was you watching? Eubank was controlling the distance with the jab, but got cocky and that was that. 

Obviously Smith took the 4th

DAZN gave Smith the second 

Boxing Social gave Smith the first 

Sporting News gave Smith the first

SkySports gave Smith the first 

I guess this is the interesting thing with Boxing, a bit like football, people often read the fights differently.

Only the third seems to have gone unanimously to Eubank.

39 minutes ago, Genie said:

Obviously Smith took the 4th

DAZN gave Smith the second 

Boxing Social gave Smith the first 

Sporting News gave Smith the first

SkySports gave Smith the first 

I guess this is the interesting thing with Boxing, a bit like football, people often read the fights differently.

Only the third seems to have gone unanimously to Eubank.

How did the judges at ringside have it?

I think the general consensus was the first to Smith, second 10-10 and third to Eubank. Irrelevant though. 

Personally I've never really rated Eubank, or Smith for that matter. Both for different reasons though. Smith for always being a head down, having very little power and just not being, well...the most exciting to watch. Eubank has been a little more exciting but severely lacking in the true basics of technique and footwork. Both issues massively exposed v Groves and now Smith. I think RJ jnr was a bad choice of trainer tbh. Part time, very little vested interest and completely neglecting the weaknesses in Eubanks game in an effort to make him more RJ jnr esq. 

Watching Eubanks last couple of scraps it's been quite obvious he's tried to dance around the ring more, and become more evasive. His biggest problem though on Saturday was that for all the foot movement, he never really planted his feet or tried to really stamp himself early. He was far to poncy, giving Smith the encouragement to stand in the pocket and head hunt. That being said it was a good win for Smith who will now get another pay day although, even with a win over Eubank it doesn't really elevate him in anyway, it just keeps him in the mix to keep earning.

On a side note. I have to say, what a shit card it was. I feel that currently the state of British boxing is really poor on the consumer. Crap match up's continually being promoted as PPV's. Fury, Chisora, Eubank, Smith.... Absolutely unimaginable a couple of years ago people would be getting charged to watch utter garbage of no real substance. Promoters are becoming far to greedy imo. We've gone from real PPV stars like Mayweather and Pacman etc, to Eubank v Smith. Let that sink in.   

• Like 1

Sometimes i question have i fallen out of love of boxing when i didn’t buy or watch Fury v Chisora or Smith V Eubank Jr. I know i haven’t when i get totally unmoved by those but very excited to hear Tim Tszyu is fighting Tony Harrison on March 12th. Casuals be like “ Huh” Real fans know that’s a fight. A proper trade fight as we call it. 

Â