The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I disgaree with you guys. Eubank jr too big for benn. I expect eubank jr to win

I do wonder what weight they will fight at as eubank jr fights at middleweight and benn is welterweight 

Edited by Demitri_C
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

I disgaree with you guys. Eubank jr too big for benn. I expect eubank jr to win

I do wonder what weight they will fight at as eubank jr fights at middleweight and benn is welterweight 

Fight at or weigh in at?   Benn is going to be a lot smaller at the first bell when Eubank jr rehydrates, the only upside is he'll not have to have too brutal a cut (for all that's worth).    If it is at a catchweight, and I don't think anything has been announced yet, then it would almost certainly have to be 157/158 or something because it means Eubank jr cannot make Super Welter (154) and maybe Benn doesn't want to give Eubank jr the advantage of Middleweight (160). 

It's an odd fight though.  Obviously it's going to sell well on name recognition alone but what does this say about how much Eddie Hearn thinks of Conor Benn?  Is he going to get smashed to bits here?  I don't think it's Brook vs GGG levels of mismatch, but Brook was a seasoned world champion when he took that fight, Benn is 25.  Eubank jr knows he has to look good here too.   Weird fight,  Eubank jr by KO. 

Aside from what we may think about their sons, I wonder if most people will hope for a winner based on their father’s? 

Personally I’m an armchair boxing fan so don’t know an awful lot about these 2, but I remember the 2 Eubank v Benn fights and I loved watching Nigel, so rightly or wrongly I hope Connor wins. 

11 hours ago, Xela said:

Fury has un-retired and wants to fight Chisora.

Yawn

Sums up boxing that he wants to fight Chisora a third time before even one Fury-Joshua fight which would have been massive had it happened.

Went to see some boxing at the Commonwealths- did anyone else go?

Edited by The Fun Factory

I can't think of a boxer that's wasted their career to the extent that Eubank Jr has, or at least in the same way.

He's got fantastic hand speed, takes a punch well, moves really well and has all the tools to have had a great career - but he was too arrogant to get a real trainer when he was young and is now living in some sort of La la land where he has a tune up fight once a year for a bigger fight that never seems to happen - he could have been so much more.

I think it'll be a good fight, for Eubank Jr it's probably all or nothing - if he loses, then I don't think he has anywhere else to go.

2 hours ago, av1 said:

Aside from what we may think about their sons, I wonder if most people will hope for a winner based on their father’s? 

Personally I’m an armchair boxing fan so don’t know an awful lot about these 2, but I remember the 2 Eubank v Benn fights and I loved watching Nigel, so rightly or wrongly I hope Connor wins. 

I went to the 2nd one at Old Trafford and can barely remember a thing about it. Was the 90’s I suppose

11 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Fight at or weigh in at?   Benn is going to be a lot smaller at the first bell when Eubank jr rehydrates, the only upside is he'll not have to have too brutal a cut (for all that's worth).    If it is at a catchweight, and I don't think anything has been announced yet, then it would almost certainly have to be 157/158 or something because it means Eubank jr cannot make Super Welter (154) and maybe Benn doesn't want to give Eubank jr the advantage of Middleweight (160). 

It's an odd fight though.  Obviously it's going to sell well on name recognition alone but what does this say about how much Eddie Hearn thinks of Conor Benn?  Is he going to get smashed to bits here?  I don't think it's Brook vs GGG levels of mismatch, but Brook was a seasoned world champion when he took that fight, Benn is 25.  Eubank jr knows he has to look good here too.   Weird fight,  Eubank jr by KO. 

Rumoured to be a contracted weight of 156lbs. If i had to pick - id say that probably suits Benn. Historically he’s never weighed more than 147lbs for a fight. Eubank has been as high as 168lbs for fights with DeGale, Groves and Yildrim. Yet, it’s testament to his conditioning and how he minds himself that he can bounce down and make 160lbs for a middleweight fight without too much fuss. Looking for boxrec, it seems the lowest Eubank has fought at is 159lbs against Nick Blackwell ( arguably his best performance ever ) I’d say he could do 156 lbs with ease. Be interesting to see is there a rehydration clause. I’d expect Benn to come well in under 156. Probably 153. As long as he can bring his speed and explosiveness up , i think he’ll be too good for Eubank. 

Edited by Johnnyp

8 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

Sums up boxing that he wants to fight Chisora a third time before even one Fury-Joshua fight which would have been massive had it happened.

Went to see some boxing at the Commonwealths- did anyone else go?

Fury - Joshua would have been a good fight, but I imagine its Joshua dodging that battle. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Xela said:

Fury - Joshua would have been a good fight, but I imagine its Joshua dodging that battle. 

Yeah, the pandemic came at a bad time for that. It would been mega but no point without 100,000 people in a stadium if only for the atmosphere (the serious money would be on the PPV’s).

Talkshite will be good tomorrow with Simon Jordon. He's been slagging Chisora today saying it's another fight no one wants to watch and Fury has admitted, its just to give him a pension. Chisora is in the studio with him tomorrow. They had a bit of a fall out last time, saying Chisora is a busted flush, which to be fair he is.

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

Talkshite will be good tomorrow with Simon Jordon. He's been slagging Chisora today saying it's another fight no one wants to watch and Fury has admitted, its just to give him a pension. Chisora is in the studio with him tomorrow. They had a bit of a fall out last time, saying Chisora is a busted flush, which to be fair he is.

Fury surely can’t need the money though? Unless he’s using this fight to tune up and then will face Usyk after he beats AJ again? 

37 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Fury surely can’t need the money though? Unless he’s using this fight to tune up and then will face Usyk after he beats AJ again? 

Fury said just to give Chisora a pension, so not sure why Fury would fight him, Dillian Whyte was his tune up.

• Like 1

Just now, fightoffyour said:

Be ridiculous if he doesn’t fight Usyk after he beats Joshua (or vice versa)

People think he was joking, when he said he wanted a billy (billion) to fight the Usyk or AJ, but I doubt he was. This could be the reason he has gone back into retirement, as it'll take bigger money to tempt him out, rather than if he was active, i.e just fought Chisora.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, foreveryoung said:

People think he was joking, when he said he wanted a billy (billion) to fight the Usyk or AJ, but I doubt he was. This could be the reason he has gone back into retirement, as it'll take bigger money to tempt him out, rather than if he was active, i.e just fought Chisora.

I don’t believe for a second he’s serious about the retirement, obviously. Not sure how big the purses are these days, but for a fight like that I guess a billion isn’t so far out of the question.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, fightoffyour said:

I don’t believe for a second he’s serious about the retirement.

I do, I think he absolutely means it.

Today.

That's the beauty of Tyson Fury, you never quite know what he's going to wake up and want to do tomorrow.

• Haha 1

Â