The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

2 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I do think Catterall had it, but if you back off and go into survival mode in the last rounds against a Champion, you are always gonna get the wrong decision. He should have turned it on in the last rounds. But don't get me wrong, Taylor lost that.

I agree totally with that comment. Those last four rounds were what got Taylor that decision, that's why I wasn't one bit surprised when I heard the verdict. 

Ricky Hatton's son got a decision without winning a single round. Connor Benn got one he should never have got. Lewis Ritson, too. And many, many more. It's nothing new.

11 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I do think Catterall had it, but if you back off and go into survival mode in the last rounds against a Champion, you are always gonna get the wrong decision. He should have turned it on in the last rounds. But don't get me wrong, Taylor lost that.

I agree totally with that comment. Those last four rounds were what got Taylor that decision, that's why I wasn't one bit surprised when I heard the verdict. 

Ricky Hatton's son got a decision without winning a single round. Connor Benn got one he should never have got. Lewis Ritson, too. And many, many more. It's nothing new.

1 minute ago, theboyangel said:
  Hide contents

And sheepyvillan 😉

I think you are wrong here, he is saying that on the face of it that it looked a lot closer then it actually was and so the result didn't shock him, I do think he thinks that a Catterall decision would/should have been the right result.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, theboyangel said:
  Hide contents

And sheepyvillan 😉

I didn't say I thought Taylor won. I said, those last 4 rounds were what enabled the judges to give it to Taylor. Hence, I wasn't surprised by the decision. Catterall took his foot off the gas at the wrong time. 

I said Taylor was very lucky to get the verdict. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I didn't say I thought Taylor won. I said, those last 4 rounds were what enabled the judges to give it to Taylor. Hence, I wasn't surprised by the decision. Catterall took his foot off the gas at the wrong time. 

I said Taylor was very lucky to get the verdict. 

Quite similar to Ryder a few weeks ago, did most of his work in the last three or four rounds and got a decision which I thought went the other way.

last night couple that with a partisan home crowd and their own golden boy coming home to fight should  we be really surprised. It’s often said the only sure way to beat a champion on their own turf with a big support is to knock them out. It definitely was the wrong decision (Costly me bloody £500 quid) in my humble opinion but like Sheepy says not that surprising given the above

• Like 1

I don’t buy into a false narrative that Catterall coasted or took his foot off the gas in the final third of the fight. The bout became messy and no one ran away with it, and no one gave it away, either.

Had Catterall won, he would have woken up thinking about huge bouts with the cream of the super lightweights, for major money. He’d have been thinking of seven figures, Las Vegas, New York and maybe even box office. That one decision – and one vile scorecard in particular – has changed everything. What will he get in his next fight now? Five figures? A co-feature spot on another bill? A shot at a vacant title? Can he even face going back to the gym? Will that result, which had him in tears, have savaged his passion for the sport?

Edited by Johnnyp
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Currently watching the will to win documentary of the 'four kings'  of Leonard, Duran, Hagler, and Hearns. So is the greatest out of those four?!

Hard to pick as they were all different, Hagler for me probably but I did prefer watching the others. What Leonard did Hagler in 87 was spectacular though.

51 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Hard to pick as they were all different, Hagler for me probably but I did prefer watching the others. What Leonard did Hagler in 87 was spectacular though.

Did he actually win the fight though?  

42 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Duran always seems a bit tagged on with the other 3, given he was older, a different nationality, and a naturally lighter boxer. Well in the ring at least.

no mas

1 hour ago, The Fun Factory said:

Currently watching the will to win documentary of the 'four kings'  of Leonard, Duran, Hagler, and Hearns. So is the greatest out of those four?!

have a read of this, fantastic book

Four Kings By George Kimball

Edited by Follyfoot

6 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

Tight, I watched it last funnily enough. Surely you're not hinting that there may be corruption in sport.

No chance of corruption in Hagler Hearns 😁

2 hours ago, The Fun Factory said:

I'd have to go with Sugar Ray. He had victories over all 3 and he's the only one who can say that. What a foursome though. That knockout of Duran by Hearns, you won't see many better.

Â