The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

52 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Did he actually win the fight though?  

I gave it to Leonard. He was the more eye - catching, but I totally get the Hagler argument. Incidentally, I watched that fight the morning after in the chapel at Winson Green Prison. Never seen the chapel that full before. 

Just now, sheepyvillian said:

I gave it to Leonard. He was the more eye - catching, but I totally get the Hagler argument. Incidentally, I watched that fight the morning after in the chapel at Winson Green Prison. Never seen the chapel that full before. 

I bet, a real fight for the ages. Rather fitting that Sugar Ray said after the untimely death of Marvin that he would happily give up the victory to have him back alive, class act. I had it to Hagler as you know but can easily support the Leonard decision. Truth be told I think Haglers previous fight with Mugabi took a lot out of him and dare I say maybe looked slightly on the decline

Watching Hearns with his 250 inch reach put a straight punch right through his opponent, yikes! What a great boxing generation. I think I fall in the Hagler corner. He was a machine

2 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

I bet, a real fight for the ages. Rather fitting that Sugar Ray said after the untimely death of Marvin that he would happily give up the victory to have him back alive, class act. I had it to Hagler as you know but can easily support the Leonard decision. Truth be told I think Haglers previous fight with Mugabi took a lot out of him and dare I say maybe looked slightly on the decline

Another decision that left a bitter taste in the mouth of some, not least, Hagler, who never fought again. What a Champion he was at middleweight, for me, probably the best ever. I remember Tony Sibson, who was no slouch, saying after his loss to Marvin, "I was beaten by a master in the ring". You sure was that night, Tony.

15 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Another decision that left a bitter taste in the mouth of some, not least, Hagler, who never fought again. What a Champion he was at middleweight, for me, probably the best ever. I remember Tony Sibson, who was no slouch, saying after his loss to Marvin, "I was beaten by a master in the ring". You sure was that night, Tony.

Sibbo was well up for the fight as well, thought he had a real chance. Remember him saying he was eating and training like an animal that was going to be 'unleashed' but hit a brick wall. I loved all the whinging about Hagler letting the stubble on his head grow a couple of days before a fight so he could rub it in a sore area on his opponents face to give 'maximum hurt'  Real shame his ring visit to these shores was tainted by some mockney racist pricks, I can go with the greatest ever middleweight narrative for sure, could not name one better if tasked  

3 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Sibbo was well up for the fight as well, thought he had a real chance. Remember him saying he was eating and training like an animal that was going to be 'unleashed' but hit a brick wall. I loved all the whinging about Hagler letting the stubble on his head grow a couple of days before a fight so he could rub it in a sore area on his opponents face to give 'maximum hurt'  Real shame his ring visit to these shores was tainted by some mockney racist pricks, I can go with the greatest ever middleweight narrative for sure, could not name one better if tasked  

Wasn't there some issue about Sibson and sparring before that fight. I can vaguely remember my dad mentioning something like that? 

53 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Wasn't there some issue about Sibson and sparring before that fight. I can vaguely remember my dad mentioning something like that? 

Something to do with his shoulder springs to mind but cannot be sure

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

Something to do with his shoulder springs to mind but cannot be sure

Could be. Imagine not sparring for an opponent such as the Marvellous one. A southpaw too. That right jab was a thing of beauty. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

So, does anyone believe Fury when he says he’s retiring after the Whyte fight?

I don’t, I’d imagine box office sales are looking slow and it needs overhyping because Whyte has little appeal beyond the UK and not much within it.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So, does anyone believe Fury when he says he’s retiring after the Whyte fight?

I don’t, I’d imagine box office sales are looking slow and it needs overhyping because Whyte has little appeal beyond the UK and not much within it.

He might take a long break but i would imagine he would want to unify before he does. I think if aj beats uysk he will want that fight. Uysk not so much i think.

Whyte didnt even show up for the presser. Makes himself look ridiculous 

What's the consensus on AJ v Usyk?

AJ has to just swing for me and hope he lands a monster, he is considerably outclassed v Usyk, who beats him 10 times out of 10 for me. 

Fury v Usyk really should be what boxing fans should want to see, both great technicians. 

Fury v AJ is a novelty big bucks fight only, Fury would make him look like an amateur. 

19 hours ago, Tegis said:

Watching Hearns with his 250 inch reach put a straight punch right through his opponent, yikes! What a great boxing generation. I think I fall in the Hagler corner. He was a machine

Hagler only fought at Middleweight though. All of the others became champs at multiple weights. Duran won at four different weights over a 17 year span. But Marvelous had the good sense to retire at the top unlike the other 3.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Hagler only fought at Middleweight though. All of the others became champs at multiple weights. Duran won at four different weights over a 17 year span. But Marvelous had the good sense to retire at the top unlike the other 3.

Hearns beat Dennis Andres if I recall at light heavy to become a 4 weight champion I think, Andres was billed as being mid 30's but it is believed he was in his early 40's at the time minimum 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Follyfoot said:

Hearns beat Dennis Andres if I recall at light heavy to become a 4 weight champion I think, Andres was billed as being mid 30's but it is believed he was in his early 40's at the time minimum 

That's the thing about some of these multi weights, not in all cases but some are v average at best opponents. 

8 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Andres was old as the hills.  Like Sonny Liston, without the mob links.

1 hour ago, Phil Silvers said:

What's the consensus on AJ v Usyk?

AJ has to just swing for me and hope he lands a monster, he is considerably outclassed v Usyk, who beats him 10 times out of 10 for me. 

Fury v Usyk really should be what boxing fans should want to see, both great technicians. 

Fury v AJ is a novelty big bucks fight only, Fury would make him look like an amateur. 

AJ loses again. He was really poor in first fight. He has to go for th kockout in the rematch. Im not sure if usyks mind would be 100% in it when you consider everything going on in that country. 

Fury beats aj woth ease.

Fury vs uysk wouldnt be a great fight i think. As both techinical. Fury is way too big for uysk.  He will just be roo awkward usehis weight to bully and tire uysk out.

The only heavyweight i thought could beat fury would be wilder and that would be witha  lucky punch. He failed 3 times so no one is beating fury

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Follyfoot said:

The ironic thing was, after the Hearns fight , Andries joined the Kronk stable and Manny took him in with open arms. You do remember the amount of times Andries got off the floor in that fight with Hearns?  I think it was about seven.

Whilst we here, did you see the video of John Fury berating Carl Frampton for expressing the opinion that Jake Paul would beat Tommy Fury ? Fury comes across like the classic bully I always thought he was. Let's see if he has the decency to apologise. Probably not. 

I've just noticed that the video has been posted.

Edited by sheepyvillian

Â