The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

17 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

The ironic thing was, after the Hearns fight , Andries joined the Kronk stable and Manny took him in with open arms. You do remember the amount of times Andries got off the floor in that fight with Hearns?  I think it was about seven.

Whilst we here, did you see the video of John Fury berating Carl Frampton for expressing the opinion that Jake Paul would beat Tommy Fury ? Fury comes across like the classic bully I always thought he was. Let's see if he has the decency to apologise. Probably not. 

I've just noticed that the video has been posted.

Game as they come and had a very, very good career after numerous setbacks both personally and in the ring (especially if the age rumours were true)  but still moved forward can not fault that.

Gobshite is the word I would use for Fury's old fella, needs to shut up as no one is interested in what he has to say but have to listen due to who his son is 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

The start yes i agree but raises some good points about paul

It’s actually a pretty equal match. Tommy is a celebrity boxer, essentially. He’s fought 4 guys that Jake Paul would beat also i believe. Tommy has never boxed past 4 rounds. But coming back to the video, it’s John fury i wanted to highlight. Frampton gave HIS opinion which he didn’t like and tried to intimidate a 5”3 former world champion. 

46 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

Game as they come and had a very, very good career after numerous setbacks both personally and in the ring (especially if the age rumours were true)  but still moved forward can not fault that.

Gobshite is the word I would use for Fury's old fella, needs to shut up as no one is interested in what he has to say but have to listen due to who his son is 

Fury must find it tiresome walking around that angry all day. Remember how he threw a tantrum when Joseph Parker got the nod over Hughie Fury? I wonder what his thoughts were when Tyson got the nod over John McDermott? 

As it goes, I always find Peter Fury has some interesting things to say about boxing in general. He has a very quiet demeanour in total contrast to his brother. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Fury must find it tiresome walking around that angry all day. Remember how he threw a tantrum when Joseph Parker got the nod over Hughie Fury? I wonder what his thoughts were when Tyson got the nod over John McDermott? 

As it goes, I always find Peter Fury has some interesting things to say about boxing in general. He has a very quiet demeanour in total contrast to his brother. 

Totally agree. Peter likes working away with hughie and savannah and he takes on no more than that. Hates the limelight. John Fury is just an awful man. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Newry_Villan said:

Conlon totally controlled that fight.  The slip in the 11th given as a knock down probably gave Wood that final push to go for it. I hope Conlon is OK.  

He might have landed the crisper punches but when it came to the Championship rounds Wood was the stronger has was proven by the result. Conlan totally underestimated Wood and paid dearly for it.

Apparently, Conlan was coherent whilst on the stretcher. 

Edited by sheepyvillian

1 minute ago, sheepyvillian said:

He might have landed the crisper punches but when it came to the Championship rounds Wood was the stronger has was proven by the result. Conlan totally underestimated Wood and paid dearly for it.

Apparently, Conlan was coherent whilst on the stretcher. 

I’m Irish and i find Conlan to a be a prick. Made some very disparaging comments about Wood in the build up to this. Has that McGregor swagger. All mouth. Hats off to Leigh Wood. Wasn’t given a prayer against Can Xu and underdog tonight too. 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

I’m Irish and i find Conlan to a be a prick. Made some very disparaging comments about Wood in the build up to this. Has that McGregor swagger. All mouth. Hats off to Leigh Wood. Wasn’t given a prayer against Can Xu and underdog tonight too. 

Great fight. Conlan's slick boxing took control for the first half of the fight but Wood always looked like he was in the fight. You can't underestimate that honest determination and boy, did he have that in abundance. Like I said in an earlier post, I had a little flutter on Wood to win it in rounds 10 to 12, and tbh, I always felt from the 8th round that it was likely to happen. 

I really took a dislike to Conlan and his brother after that press conference where they were really nasty to Wood and Davison. Also, I never really believed the hype that surrounded Conlan when he turned pro. 

It really is pleasing to see such an honest pro like Wood get the rewards that his obvious hard work deserves 

Edited by sheepyvillian

20 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Great fight. Conlan's slick boxing took control for the first half of the fight but Wood always looked like he was in the fight. You can't underestimate that honest determination and boy, did he have that in abundance. Like I said in an earlier post, I had a little flutter on Wood to win it in rounds 10 to 12, and tbh, I always felt from the 8th round that it was likely to happen. 

I really took a dislike to Conlan and his brother after that press conference where they were really nasty to Wood and Davison. Also, I never really believed the hype that surrounded Conlan when he turned pro. 

It really is pleasing to see such an honest pro like Wood get the rewards that his obvious hard work deserves 

I generally dislike any boxer affiliated to Daniel kinahan anyway. I think Conlan will be licking his chops ( if his health is ok ) at a rematch with Wood. Would be huge demand for it. Again, didn’t see it but on social media they say it was epic. He had it in the bag, was winning the fight. Wood could say **** him. He would of took very short money to fight can xu. Probably not a big pay day tonight either. He can kick back now and unify against the winner of Warrington v Martinez, make himself proper money and to be honest i think he beats both. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I generally dislike any boxer affiliated to Daniel kinahan anyway. I think Conlan will be licking his chops ( if his health is ok ) at a rematch with Wood. Would be huge demand for it. Again, didn’t see it but on social media they say it was epic. He had it in the bag, was winning the fight. Wood could say **** him. He would of took very short money to fight can xu. Probably not a big pay day tonight either. He can kick back now and unify against the winner of Warrington v Martinez, make himself proper money and to be honest i think he beats both. 

I  believe it should be Lara fighting Martinez and not Warrington. That clash of heads in their rematch was, for me, a  blessing in disguise for Warrington, I think Lara beats him every time. Lara was involved in a cracker on DZN the other week and ended up winning with a vicious knockout. He's unbelievably, heavy handed with such great precision. I don't think it will be too long before he has a belt around his waist. 

6 minutes ago, foreveryoung said:

I guess it was, but didn't look like a big punch there?

Oh it was a big one. Just watch Conlon's hands drop after the right hander. He was out cold after it.

• Like 1

Â