The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

13 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Michael Spinks is arguably the greatest cruiser of all time. He was practically unbeatable at that weight. 

Spinks never fought as cruiserweight. Campaigned and was very successful as a light heavyweight. He bypassed cruiserweight to go to heavyweight.

20 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Spinks never fought as cruiserweight. Campaigned and was very successful as a light heavyweight. He bypassed cruiserweight to go to heavyweight.

You're right. It must have been him campaigning as a heavyweight that l assumed he had jumped from cruiser. Still, he has to be in the top 3 of best ever light - heavyweights. 

Not sure how 2 of the judges had that fight so close, he battered him

with my limited boxing knowledge I wasn’t sat watching that getting excited about him getting a bigger fight though

also I get that boxing is a draining sport and that chisora is a big man but how’s he that tired after 3 rounds? 

Edited by villa4europe

Very good fight that. Thought the 117-112 card was about right. Usyk took over from 5th round on. The exciting thing is he absolutely has the skill set to trouble Joshua and Fury. Wouldn't get hung up about the fact he doesn't have KO power at heavyweight. As he went up in quality of opponent at cruiserweight he didn't knock them out either, going 12 with Breidis and Gassiev. A real threat to the 2 main boys. Took clean punches and didn't budge either. Good sign.

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Drivel, How long has it took him to come up with this gem, he is just trying to save face and build back up his persona but it is shattered beyond repair. The fact of the matter is he does not want a third fight And waits to come out with a clap trap after Fury has moved on. Anyway the reason he lost was down to his walk on suit being too heavy wasn’t it?

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Follyfoot said:

Drivel

Very sour grapes from wilder there. 

As for the fight was a easy win for usyk. But although he can box cant see him beating either aj wilder or fury. Aj is far too big for him. He dont have the power to hurt aj and aj can just do what he did to ruiz for the first few rounds before just going all in and usyk wouldnt be able to do anything.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Davis - Santa Cruz was a cracking fight. 

Santa Cruz taking it to him and getting into a bombing contest with Gervonta Davis.

That uppercut though - bang!

What a punch. Santa Cruz had no business mixing it with Davis. Should have kept at distance like he did in the rematch with Frampton. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

What a punch. Santa Cruz had no business mixing it with Davis. Should have kept at distance like he did in the rematch with Frampton. 

I agree. He really brought it though did Leo. He was fit, punched well and looked very comfortable at the weight. Walked onto a killer of an uppercut. Tank vs Teofimo be a great fight, throw in Haney and Garcia too. Lightweight a great division.

• Like 1

Another routine win for the big Croatian Hrgovic, albeit the first to stop Brooker who has gone the distance with a few ranked HW’s but looked lethargic and not really interested in my opinion and was stopped for nothing coming back more than anything. Good crisp shots and combinations from Hrgovic but a little static in the movement department which could land him in trouble against better opposition. Now calling out Dubois and Whyte et al both of which would be worth watching

Edited by Follyfoot

Crawford - Brook this weekend. Will be tough for Brook. If he's banking on Crawford taking his eye off the ball, maybe looking ahead to Spence, not gonna happen. Crawford is technically superb but his mental game is probably on a par or even better. Some say he isn't media friendly and a bit boring but he just doesn't do hype. Hes so locked in on his own performance. Lots of fighters run on adrenaline and emotion in the lead up to a fight and fight that way too on fight night. I think Brook gets stopped in the 10th round. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Crawford - Brook this weekend. Will be tough for Brook. If he's banking on Crawford taking his eye off the ball, maybe looking ahead to Spence, not gonna happen. Crawford is technically superb but his mental game is probably on a par or even better. Some say he isn't media friendly and a bit boring but he just doesn't do hype. Hes so locked in on his own performance. Lots of fighters run on adrenaline and emotion in the lead up to a fight and fight that way too on fight night. I think Brook gets stopped in the 10th round. 

As good as Crawford is, and he is good, I don't think he'll ever be one to catch the publics imagination. Lomo had the same problem as good as he was. 

I miss the Mayweather fights they had such great hype about them. Floyd sure knew how to sell a ticket. He didn't mind playing the pantomime Villian, just as long as it paid the bills. 

I would love to see Brook pull it off, but I fear he's well past his sell by date

11 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Crawford is going to be too much for brook.  I love brook but that eye injury ruined his career. A bad mistake taking the triple G fight 

8 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

As good as Crawford is, and he is good, I don't think he'll ever be one to catch the publics imagination. Lomo had the same problem as good as he was. 

I miss the Mayweather fights they had such great hype about them. Floyd sure knew how to sell a ticket. He didn't mind playing the pantomime Villian, just as long as it paid the bills. 

I would love to see Brook pull it off, but I fear he's well past his sell by date

Brook actually just 1 year older than Crawford but he's an old fighter, if that makes sense. Crawford didn't get enough credit i think for the way he dismantled Khan. Ok, Khan had taken a few loses but he was a true welterweight so this theory put out by Spence that Crawford can't hurt anyone at the weight is wrong. Worth noting also Brook hasn't made welterweight since the Spence fight. 3 fights since all been at light middleweight. Seen an interview with him this week. Came across as irritable and snappy. I mean, it's fight week and he's ready to go but when fighters are particularly snappy during fight week it's sometimes a sign that the weights been tough to do.

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Crawford is going to be too much for brook.  I love brook but that eye injury ruined his career. A bad mistake taking the triple G fight 

Hearn threw Brook under the bus during an interview with IFL TV 2 weeks ago. Hearn isn't involved at all in this fight. Brook wanted to go it alone. Basically said Brook hadn't a pot to piss in and took the Golovkin fight because he needed the money so bad. Brook and his dad negotiated the Crawford fight with Top rank on their own and cut Hearn out. Then when they couldn't secure a UK broadcaster ( Sky ) they came running back to Hearn who told them to do one. Sneaky from Brook. Hearn made him a tonne of money. Fight on fkn premier sports.

Â