The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

32 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Hearn threw Brook under the bus during an interview with IFL TV 2 weeks ago. Hearn isn't involved at all in this fight. Brook wanted to go it alone. Basically said Brook hadn't a pot to piss in and took the Golovkin fight because he needed the money so bad. Brook and his dad negotiated the Crawford fight with Top rank on their own and cut Hearn out. Then when they couldn't secure a UK broadcaster ( Sky ) they came running back to Hearn who told them to do one. Sneaky from Brook. Hearn made him a tonne of money. Fight on fkn premier sports.

I just checked premier sports out and found out that I have been subscribing to it for well over a year as I added it to my package to watch the Villa vs Leipzig last year in pre season, not sure if I should laugh or cry to be honest 

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

As good as Crawford is, and he is good, I don't think he'll ever be one to catch the publics imagination. Lomo had the same problem as good as he was. 

I miss the Mayweather fights they had such great hype about them. Floyd sure knew how to sell a ticket. He didn't mind playing the pantomime Villian, just as long as it paid the bills. 

I would love to see Brook pull it off, but I fear he's well past his sell by date

Crawford is 1/14 on and Brook 8/1 - worth a small punt just in case he manages to go to the well again and produce an old Brook type if performance, these things to happen albeit rarely 

20 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Hearn threw Brook under the bus during an interview with IFL TV 2 weeks ago. Hearn isn't involved at all in this fight. Brook wanted to go it alone. Basically said Brook hadn't a pot to piss in and took the Golovkin fight because he needed the money so bad. Brook and his dad negotiated the Crawford fight with Top rank on their own and cut Hearn out. Then when they couldn't secure a UK broadcaster ( Sky ) they came running back to Hearn who told them to do one. Sneaky from Brook. Hearn made him a tonne of money. Fight on fkn premier sports.

I seen that interview, he certainly has a nasty side to him, does Hearn.

3 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

I generally don't like Hearn but he was not in the wrong here. Brook done him dirty.

He's not for me,Hearn.  The way he treated Ohara Davies was wrong,and I'm no fan of Ohara, but that could have been handled without making Davies look like the pariah of boxing. Accusing a man of insulting something he has no knowledge of is pretty bad form. And let's be honest, promoters have been exploiting fighters from the day the sport began, I mean,  he should never have allowed Brook to fight triple G regardless of how enthusiastic Kell was,it was always going to end the way it did. Terrible judgement. 

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

He's not for me,Hearn.  The way he treated Ohara Davies was wrong,and I'm no fan of Ohara, but that could have been handled without making Davies look like the pariah of boxing. Accusing a man of insulting something he has no knowledge of is pretty bad form. And let's be honest, promoters have been exploiting fighters from the day the sport began, I mean,  he should never have allowed Brook to fight triple G regardless of how enthusiastic Kell was,it was always going to end the way it did. Terrible judgement. 

Brook was offered the Golovkin fight after Eubank jr pulled out. It wasn't forced on him. He couldn't get a good fight at welterweight that time. Silly move also i thought not going with Dominic Ingle for this fight. He knows Brook since he was a kid. When it gets tough against Crawford, and it will, he could do with him there.

Just watched Franco v Maloney , was the fight before Crawford v Brook , biggest robbery I've seen in a title fight ,

the ref declares an accidental headbutt has happened in first round that has caused swelling to Franco's eye and two rounds later calls it a no decision

Replay shows it's a punch that causes the swelling and was no headbutt , they then go to replay and the commission and official on reply bottle it and stay with refs no decision. 

Hard to get excited about this main fight after watching that rubbish

2 hours ago, pete101 said:

Just watched Franco v Maloney , was the fight before Crawford v Brook , biggest robbery I've seen in a title fight ,

the ref declares an accidental headbutt has happened in first round that has caused swelling to Franco's eye and two rounds later calls it a no decision

Replay shows it's a punch that causes the swelling and was no headbutt , they then go to replay and the commission and official on reply bottle it and stay with refs no decision. 

Hard to get excited about this main fight after watching that rubbish

What Pete didn't mention here is that the actual decision took almost 30 minutes to decide.  All the while we were treated to slow-motion replays of Moloney repeatedly jabbing Franco, with nary a headbutt to be seen.  And somehow a NC is called!  Ah, boxing, hating on filthy casuals till it Pied Pipers them to more octagon-shaped sanctuaries.

And yeah, Crawford was way too good for Brook.  It was all a bit lion versus faintly fighty gazelle.

42 minutes ago, mikeyp102 said:

Crawford saying he wants Pacquio now next. Just a money fight. Surely Spence would be a bigger fight 

Like they say somebody’s 0 has got to go. Has to be Spence, the sport demands and needs such matchups 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Brooks finished. Did well to start with but as soon as Crawford got warmed up he finished him off pretty easily.

Needs to retire now

They will probably try and milk a match with Khan as a last swan song for both but realistically that bird has probably flown now

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

They will probably try and milk a match with Khan as a last swan song for both but realistically that bird has probably flown now

Yeah thats true. But both havent beaten anyone notiable in many years. I think people are not interested any more. They blew it. Think was more khan avoiding it tbh.

14 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

It was like Brook was totally wide open to that short hook, as if no one had threw that punch at him before. Kind of strange how it unfolded. 

Yeah i dont understand brooks tactics. It was like a 'come on hit me im goving you a free shot'

Madness from brook. Was easy fight for crawford.

We all want to see him vs spence but politics will stop it from happening

1 hour ago, mikeyp102 said:

Crawford saying he wants Pacquio now next. Just a money fight. Surely Spence would be a bigger fight 

There's some thing with two different promoters tied to two different TV companies that means this one won't happen for a year and a half until one of deals with the two fighters ends.

Brook started well and was in the fight going into the 4th. Crawford came out in the 4th, noticeably closed distance and stepped to him. I've seen lots of reporters ask Crawford in the past how they think a fight will go and he Just says " we'll see when we get in there " he's not selling them short. He starts a little slow, has a look, adjusts and takes over.

Also in an age where referees and judges ( rightly ) get critiqued, huge props to Tony Weeks. That was an excellent piece of officiating last night. When Crawford hurt Brook and he fell into the ropes he followed up with 2 punches. Now, if Weeks waved it off then there would of been uproar. However, if he didn't step in and give Brook a standing 8 count, he was fell in sideways against the ropes, hurt and would probably of taken 3 to 4 more clean shots before he hit the canvas. Excellent refereeing.

11 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Also in an age where referees and judges ( rightly ) get critiqued, huge props to Tony Weeks. That was an excellent piece of officiating last night. When Crawford hurt Brook and he fell into the ropes he followed up with 2 punches. Now, if Weeks waved it off then there would of been uproar. However, if he didn't step in and give Brook a standing 8 count, he was fell in sideways against the ropes, hurt and would probably of taken 3 to 4 more clean shots before he hit the canvas. Excellent refereeing.

I agree. For me, Brook is a shot fighter. Spence called it exactly how it went. 

For a guy that fought at middleweight getting hurt by aomeone who didnt start at welterweight brook doesnt really have much left.

I didnt think crawford would have the power to hurt brook like that. This loss would have hurt brook. Hopedully he will just retire now. He is finished.

As for crawford he is brilliant.  Want to see him fight spence. I think spence might be too big for crawford but be  agood fight. Exowct Spence to beat garcia easy

Â