The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

On 22/08/2020 at 19:41, Demitri_C said:

So what we predicting for whyte vs povetkin?

Whyte should win this i woukd imagkne. He did t look good in his last fight so he needs to make a statement tonight of he wants to make wilder/fury winner a bit worried

Povetkin, by 5th Rd knockout. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

When they going to stick dubois against someone half decent. Another joke fight for him yesterday. Surely somone like chisora would be a good step up for him to see how good he actually is?

In fairness, last night's was just a warm up for Joe Joyce. Dubois has still only had 15 fights, he's a very raw fighter in a lot of ways, heavyweights usually start to step up into proper quality between 15 and 20 and I think we'll see them try that with him. Joyce isn't bad, but I'd expect Dubois to win it - from there, there will be an expectation to see him fight some of the second tier names of the division. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

In fairness, last night's was just a warm up for Joe Joyce. Dubois has still only had 15 fights, he's a very raw fighter in a lot of ways, heavyweights usually start to step up into proper quality between 15 and 20 and I think we'll see them try that with him. Joyce isn't bad, but I'd expect Dubois to win it - from there, there will be an expectation to see him fight some of the second tier names of the division. 

Yeah but wasnt really a competitive fight. He hit him about 6-7 times and the guy was finished. 

I agree with your opinion on that. Joyce is a bit of a step up but he should win that with ease still. Then he should be fighting better opponents.  

Still hard to know how good he is as the kevel of opposition has been poor. Takam could be another option or price 

42 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah but wasnt really a competitive fight. He hit him about 6-7 times and the guy was finished. 

I agree with your opinion on that. Joyce is a bit of a step up but he should win that with ease still. Then he should be fighting better opponents.  

Still hard to know how good he is as the kevel of opposition has been poor. Takam could be another option or price 

Snijders was a warm up fight afterall. COVID-19 has put his timeline back, as he was supposed to fight Joyce in July I believe. Joyce is a good test. I really like the look of Dubois but like you say its difficult, as the trope goes; boxing is all about levels. I disagree that he beats Joyce with ease though. 

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Would stay well away from Takam for the time being 

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

The guy he fought was also a late replacement I believe, and it looked like it too.

Wanted out of that ring after Dubois landed his first decent punch, first time I’d seen Dubois though, heck of a unit/specimen and looked pretty fast too.

• Like 1

I really don't see Dubois walking through Joyce. If it goes beyond 5 rounds, then Joyce will be a very dangerous opponent. They don't come much tougher than Joyce. I will defently be having a flutter on Joyce. It reminds me of the time Bruno fought Bonecrusher Smith. He was unbeaten and had knocked over most of his opponents, but Bonecrusher was his first real dangerous opponent, and Bruno was three minutes away from victory, when Smith caught him with a beauty and that was that. 

I would not be one bit surprised if Joyce beats Dubois. 

There’s no way Frank Warren is putting his 22 year old meal ticket with a 35 year old Joe Joyce if he thinks Joyce will win. Dubois is being moulded as the guy who takes over from AJ and Fury once they retire, Joyce has an impeccable amateur pedigree but he’s left it too late to enter the pro game, especially given the sport is going to lose a year to COVID. 

5 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

There’s no way Frank Warren is putting his 22 year old meal ticket with a 35 year old Joe Joyce if he thinks Joyce will win. Dubois is being moulded as the guy who takes over from AJ and Fury once they retire, Joyce has an impeccable amateur pedigree but he’s left it too late to enter the pro game, especially given the sport is going to lose a year to COVID. 

Maybe Frank thinks Dubois is a certainty. I certainly don't. 

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I really don't see Dubois walking through Joyce. If it goes beyond 5 rounds, then Joyce will be a very dangerous opponent. They don't come much tougher than Joyce. I will defently be having a flutter on Joyce. It reminds me of the time Bruno fought Bonecrusher Smith. He was unbeaten and had knocked over most of his opponents, but Bonecrusher was his first real dangerous opponent, and Bruno was three minutes away from victory, when Smith caught him with a beauty and that was that. 

Dubois looked good but its hard to judge until he fights someone decent. But he lokks to me like he would eaialy knock out joyce. He looks like a real heavy hitter

44 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

Maybe Frank thinks Dubois is a certainty. I certainly don't. 

He definitely does. He also knows the power of hype even if he doesn’t have faith in Dubois and he just happens to be Joe Joyce’s promoter too.  This has got *coughs* “good matchmaking” written all over it. 

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

The writing was on the wall a couple of fights before against Jumbo Cummings who shook him to his boots, far too brave Frank, should have learned to hold on instead of fighting back when tagged

31 minutes ago, Follyfoot said:

The writing was on the wall a couple of fights before against Jumbo Cummings who shook him to his boots, far too brave Frank, should have learned to hold on instead of fighting back when tagged

I remember that fight. Bruno was out on his feet but got saved by the bell. You're right, the writing was on the wall. I went to Wembley to watch him against Witherspoon, and I could tell from the first round how it was going to end and Witherspoon didn't even train for that fight, he just bamboozled Bruno with that Philly shell defence. 

I see a lot of Bruno in Dubois, admittedly, Dubois is a bit more flexible, but for me, he's far too muscle bound and that could play against him if he's forced to go in to the late rounds. He hasn't fought a live opponent yet, but I give Joyce a big chance should he manage to cope with the early storm. Joyce firmly believes he can win and I don't doubt him. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

A bit sad to hear about the passing of Alan Minter. The reason I say, a bit, is because his reputation is somewhat tarnished by his racist comments leading up to the Hagler fight. The " no black man will ever take my title" comment. 

Well, the black man did take it, with one of the most ferocious performances seen in a British boxing ring. Hagler's victory was met with a shower of glass bottles and bigoted abuse no doubt fuelled by the racist rhetoric from Minter. 

It became the start of the great long reign of Marvelous, Marvin Hagler. As for Minter, he was never the same again and was knocked out in his next fight against Tony Sibson, who incidentally, was also systematically schooled by the Marvelous one. 

Oh, the good old day's of boxing. 

7 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

A bit sad to hear about the passing of Alan Minter. The reason I say, a bit, is because his reputation is somewhat tarnished by his racist comments leading up to the Hagler fight. The " no black man will ever take my title" comment. 

Well, the black man did take it, with one of the most ferocious performances seen in a British boxing ring. Hagler's victory was met with a shower of glass bottles and bigoted abuse no doubt fuelled by the racist rhetoric from Minter. 

It became the start of the great long reign of Marvelous, Marvin Hagler. As for Minter, he was never the same again and was knocked out in his next fight against Tony Sibson, who incidentally, was also systematically schooled by the Marvelous one. 

Oh, the good old day's of boxing. 

Absolutely fantastic era. I remember the Sibbo fight, he was exceptionally confident before the fight stating he had trained and ate like an animal to get in shape and you are correct he got schooled . I still watch one fight from that era every other week, will not tell you which one it is but all I will say it lasted three rounds, never been bettered  in my opinion. Hagler was a great champion and I’m not sure to this day that Leonard actually beat him, see it differently Every time I watch it. Do you remember the West Ham lad Kaylor Having that to do with Errol Christie on the cobbles before the fight. Also thinking back did  it not go off at the Sibbo Kaylor fight between between the ICF and the baby squad with a load of teargas being used? also kicked off at the Viking Steve Foster v Nigel Benn fight at the NEC between The noses and Man United Salford lot, It seemed that football tagged onto boxing quite a lot at that time sadly. Just finishing the book Four  Kings From that era about the usual suspects. Very very good read, no mas 👍

Edited by Follyfoot

On 12/09/2020 at 06:52, Follyfoot said:

Absolutely fantastic era. I remember the Sibbo fight, he was exceptionally confident before the fight stating he had trained and ate like an animal to get in shape and you are correct he got schooled . I still watch one fight from that era every other week, will not tell you which one it is but all I will say it lasted three rounds, never been bettered  in my opinion. Hagler was a great champion and I’m not sure to this day that Leonard actually beat him, see it differently Every time I watch it. Do you remember the West Ham lad Kaylor Having that to do with Errol Christie on the cobbles before the fight. Also thinking back did  it not go off at the Sibbo Kaylor fight between between the ICF and the baby squad with a load of teargas being used? also kicked off at the Viking Steve Foster v Nigel Benn fight at the NEC between The noses and Man United Salford lot, It seemed that football tagged onto boxing quite a lot at that time sadly. Just finishing the book Four  Kings From that era about the usual suspects. Very very good read, no mas 👍

I believe you're referring to the Hagler and Hearns battle. It's one of those moments where you remember exactly where you were. I was a YP in the Green listening on radio 2 medium wave. That truly was a great era. The names still stand out large. Argeullo, Pryor, Mancini, Duran, Bramble, Sanchez, Nelson and so many, many more. 

For what it’s worth, I gave Leonard the verdict over Hagler, incidentally, I was also in the Green for that one, we watched it the next day in the Chapel. What a fight. Hagler never fought again, such was the demoralising defeat. There is nothing more subjective than scoring a fight. 

Errol Christie would have been a true great if he had had a decent chin. I could wax lyrical about boxing all night. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

So, Inoue Moloney and Lomachenko Lopez coming up very soon, and all very exciting of course, but...

...I felt deeply compelled to post in order to strongly implore all lovers of pugilism, or indeed those entranced by man's eternal war against one another, to please put your tender ones to bed and watch Zepeda versus Baranchyck.  Because... my goodness.  I may struggle to sleep tonight.

2 hours ago, Shomin Geki said:

So, Inoue Moloney and Lomachenko Lopez coming up very soon, and all very exciting of course, but...

...I felt deeply compelled to post in order to strongly implore all lovers of pugilism, or indeed those entranced by man's eternal war against one another, to please put your tender ones to bed and watch Zepeda versus Baranchyck.  Because... my goodness.  I may struggle to sleep tonight.

What a fight and what a punch to end it. I could quite happily watch that again if they’re up for it

Â