The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

20 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

Question marks over the finish but Canelo wins again.

Interesting to see the boxers having to wait for the UFC match to finish before they came out - certainly a sign of the times!

Question marks over the finish ? He floored him. You think he was getting up ?

Very many red flags on this one:

(1) Kovalev had a guaranteed purse of $3m (quite high for him) but could make up to a reported $12m with add ons (I wonder what that was conditional on :D): https://www.mmamania.com/2019/11/2/20943609/official-canelo-kovalev-fight-purses-alvarez-bank-35-million-for-light-heavyweight-debut-dazn-boxing

(2) There was no rematch clause, what world title fight between two names doesn't have this sort of clause in place?

(3) Kovalev needs to the money - he has an $8m lawsuit against him for assaulting a woman: https://www.boxingscene.com/kovalev-felony-assault-case-begin-jury-trial-november-25--143235

(4) Kovalev failed to make weight several times - this is a career light heavy weight, I cannot recall him failing to make weight before, he only last fought in May, how can he be so poorly conditioned if he was coming into the fight with the right reasons?

(5) Canelo has a 10 fight $350m contract with DAZN a lot is riding on him continuing to win, they have so much money they can literally pay opponents to dance to their tune.

(6) The strange rift between Canelo and De La Hoya. The source of this appears to be De La Hoya announcing the Golovkin trilogy for next year. De La Hoya said that this 'absolutely will happen' https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/boxing/9953864/canelo-golovkin-3-de-la-hoya/. It's somewhat strange for your promoter to confidently announce a big fight when you have a big challenge at a new weight in front of you.

(7) The scorecards. Despite Kovalev tapping Canelo throughout he was arguably winning the fight based on Canelo doing very little, yet 2 judges had Canelo up handily going into the 11th. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

(1) Kovalev had a guaranteed purse of $3m (quite high for him) but could make up to a reported $12m with add ons (I wonder what that was conditional on :D): https://www.mmamania.com/2019/11/2/20943609/official-canelo-kovalev-fight-purses-alvarez-bank-35-million-for-light-heavyweight-debut-dazn-boxing

(2) There was no rematch clause, what world title fight between two names doesn't have this sort of clause in place?

(3) Kovalev needs to the money - he has an $8m lawsuit against him for assaulting a woman: https://www.boxingscene.com/kovalev-felony-assault-case-begin-jury-trial-november-25--143235

(4) Kovalev failed to make weight several times - this is a career light heavy weight, I cannot recall him failing to make weight before, he only last fought in May, how can he be so poorly conditioned if he was coming into the fight with the right reasons?

(5) Canelo has a 10 fight $350m contract with DAZN a lot is riding on him continuing to win, they have so much money they can literally pay opponents to dance to their tune.

(6) The strange rift between Canelo and De La Hoya. The source of this appears to be De La Hoya announcing the Golovkin trilogy for next year. De La Hoya said that this 'absolutely will happen' https://www.thesun.co.uk/sport/boxing/9953864/canelo-golovkin-3-de-la-hoya/. It's somewhat strange for your promoter to confidently announce a big fight when you have a big challenge at a new weight in front of you.

(7) The scorecards. Despite Kovalev tapping Canelo throughout he was arguably winning the fight based on Canelo doing very little, yet 2 judges had Canelo up handily going into the 11th. 

Wasn't it the rehydration weight that he failed to make ? Good points, nonetheless. I refuse to get excited about Canelo, he has to be one of the most arrogant boxers around.   

Mayweather hinted at him being on the juice a long time ago. At least he will never be able to avenge the boxing lesson he got from Floyd, and let's not forget one of the judges at ringside had Canelo  winning that one by about 8 rounds. 

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Golden Boy are a stain on boxing.

Edited by sheepyvillian

12 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Wasn't it the rehydration weight that he failed to make ? Good points, nonetheless. I refuse to get excited about Canelo, he has to be one of the most arrogant boxers around.   

Mayweather hinted at him being on the juice a long time ago. At least he will never be able to avenge the boxing lesson he got from Floyd, and let's not forget one of the judges at ringside had Canelo  winning that one by about 8 rounds. 

I've said it before, I'll say it again, Golden Boy are a stain on boxing.

I think that fight was a Majority Decision so one of the cards was a draw. However Canelo lost every single round of that fight so a draw was an horrific card and I'm sure one of the other cards was like 116-112. 

On 03/11/2019 at 12:16, Dr_Pangloss said:

IMG-20191104-WA0003.jpg

• Like 1

.Just watched,  Inyoue v Donaire in the WBSS final. Some brutal action on show. That jab from Inyoue, it's like an harpoon although he realised that not everyone is going to fall over when he lands those heavy shots. He had to settle for a points win. 

Donaire, on that performance has just cemented his place in the hall of fame. If he hadn't gone down in the tenth, from a body shot, I would have scored it a draw. I love how when he got up he showed how you protect your body with the elbows. The man has the heart of a lion and it wouldn't be a bad thing to leave the sport after that brave, brave performance .

It was the 11th when he went down and it was a hell of a long count. I think other fighters would have been waved off had they not been Nonito. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

What a strange night to have this on, I was thinking it was on Saturday 

Two of Japan's next three football matches are on a Thursday night. Maybe it's just a thing over there?  I think it's Inoue's last fight in Japan for a while anyway, he's signed with Top Rank so he'll be fighting on ESPN in the USA from now on. 

• Like 1

Anyone watching the Logan Paul versus KSI rematch?

I watched the first one, and the "undercard" and although it wasn't proper boxing it was quite entertaining.

This time round it seems like they've both taken it quite seriously and have trained hard. They've turned pro so they can use proper gloves and ditch the head guards. Shame it'll be on at silly o'clock over here otherwise I'd have watched it.

11 minutes ago, Genie said:

I watched the first one, and the "undercard" and although it wasn't proper boxing it was quite entertaining.

This time round it seems like they've both taken it quite seriously and have trained hard. They've turned pro so they can use proper gloves and ditch the head guards. Shame it'll be on at silly o'clock over here otherwise I'd have watched it.

I wont watch but hope Logan Paul gets beaten, badly,  but I suspect it may be another draw.

3 hours ago, Genie said:

No

On 07/11/2019 at 17:04, sheepyvillian said:

.Just watched,  Inyoue v Donaire in the WBSS final. Some brutal action on show. That jab from Inyoue, it's like an harpoon although he realised that not everyone is going to fall over when he lands those heavy shots. He had to settle for a points win. 

Donaire, on that performance has just cemented his place in the hall of fame. If he hadn't gone down in the tenth, from a body shot, I would have scored it a draw. I love how when he got up he showed how you protect your body with the elbows. The man has the heart of a lion and it wouldn't be a bad thing to leave the sport after that brave, brave performance .

Very good fight, really didn't expect Inoue to have as hard a time as he did. IMO it's testament to Donaire rolling back the years and putting in his best display in a very long time but does to me make me think that this weight is as far as Inoue can go and he may struggle against the bigger guys even at this weight. That said, the way Inoue puts punches together is a thing of beauty. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Genie said:

I'm sure I read that one of these two stands to make $40m from this fight - that's four times what Fury made from the Wilder fight. I worry about the effect that might have on the sport going forward.

Â