The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

14 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm sure I read that one of these two stands to make $40m from this fight - that's four times what Fury made from the Wilder fight. I worry about the effect that might have on the sport going forward.

After the first fight there was talk that Logan made $20m. He said it wasn’t accurate. He said he probably didn’t even make a profit after he took out YouTube’s cut, training, flying about 30 people to Manchester and lots of other costs.

As it’s a bit of a gimmick fight it would have been nice if they’d given a cut to charity.

Just read each boxers guaranteed purse is $900k

Edited by Genie

4.40 am and after 11 rounds of bjs & 12 rounds of Haney they decide that they are going to chuck in a random 4 round floater before the main event. Rather oddly the 4 rounder is a complete farce which ends in a 1st round disqualification

Edited by LakotaDakota

Actually reasonably entertaining. Logan Paul almost looked like a half decent boxer at times, reasonable jab, good footwork & head movement compared to ksi launching wild haymakers much of the time. Ksi wins by split decision despite being knocked down, decided by a 2 point deduction for Logan Paul for holding when he knocked him down & throwing another shot as he was going down

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Actually reasonably entertaining. Logan Paul almost looked like a half decent boxer at times, reasonable jab, good footwork & head movement compared to ksi launching wild haymakers much of the time. Ksi wins by split decision despite being knocked down, decided by a 2 point deduction for Logan Paul for holding when he knocked him down & throwing another shot as he was going down

Didn’t watch this one but I did enjoy the first event. Both of the fights in Manchester were entertaining. Yes, they are all dick heads, but they are rich dick heads who managed to find a way to make millions from being dickheads from the comfort of their own homes. Have to give them some respect for that.

Had a quick look at the DAZN highlights on YouTube. They were game. Lacking quality but that's to be expected.  They aren't boxers. Hope they earned well and go back to doing what ever it is that got themselves this level of acclaim up to this point.

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Do you?

Up to you I guess.

If its so easy why don't you grab yourself 20 million subscribers and earn $10m+ a year making videos.

They found a niche, its not my cup of tea but credit where its due.

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Up to you I guess.

If its so easy why don't you grab yourself 20 million subscribers and earn $10m+ a year making videos.

They found a niche, its not my cup of tea but credit where its due.

I'm not saying it's easy, I'm saying I don't respect them. 

• Like 1

I really don't respect people just because they're rich. Both appear to make garbage content that is arguably harmful. Both seem to advertise to kids which is illegal if they're under 12 (and clearly a good chunk of their audiences are under 12). Both come across as odious individuals. Respect is the last thing I have for them.

• Like 4

On 10/11/2019 at 13:56, LakotaDakota said:

Was it a boxing masterclass? No. Was it more entertaining than the two world title fights on before it, Yes.

I'm not sure that's much of an argument. You could legit get more entertainment outside of a Weatherspoons after closing time than a lot of world title fights that happen.

• Like 1

Saunders still dining out on that win against a shopworn Lemieux. For a lad that's been around ages his resume is ridiculously thin. Lemieux and Eubank Jr. That's it. Andy Lee was mentally retired, he didn't want to be there.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Saunders still dining out on that win against a shopworn Lemieux. For a lad that's been around ages his resume is ridiculously thin. Lemieux and Eubank Jr. That's it. Andy Lee was mentally retired, he didn't want to be there.

He's awful. Lemieux really is a nobody and Golovkin dispatched of him far more impressively before that.

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm not sure that's much of an argument. You could legit get more entertainment outside of a Weatherspoons after closing time than a lot of world title fights that happen.

I'm not sure it says anything other than the fights before it were very dull. Im guessing that Most people watching it were more likely to be fans of the people involved rather than boxing & would have been looking to be entertained. Sticking fighters like Saunders on the bill and dragging the event out for hours on end is more likely to make first timers never watch boxing again than garner any new fans which is a shame.

Just now, LakotaDakota said:

I'm not sure it says anything other than the fights before it were very dull. Im guessing that Most people watching it were more likely to be fans of the people involved rather than boxing & would have been looking to be entertained. Sticking fighters like Saunders on the bill and dragging the event out for hours on end is more likely to make first timers never watch boxing again than garner any new fans which is a shame.

It's fairly clear to me that these circus events do absolutely for the sport of boxing. The increased interest is solely due to the fans of the individuals involved. They're not going to go on and watch someone like Inoue fight or develop any sort of sustained interest in the sport.

7 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It's fairly clear to me that these circus events do absolutely for the sport of boxing. The increased interest is solely due to the fans of the individuals involved. They're not going to go on and watch someone like Inoue fight or develop any sort of sustained interest in the sport.

Youtubers "fighting" each other is borderline WWE in my opinion. Have to agree with previous comments about why should we respect people who have made money? The majority of mongs that subscribe to their youtube channels think subscribers = money = success. There lies the problem with society.

• Like 1

Â