The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

32 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Amazing he's coming out of retirement, especially having a career which included that McClellan fight. He could get badly hurt unless Bika takes it easy.

He's no way going to hurt Bika the guy is carved from oak. It will either be some glorified testimonial to give him a few quid or he'll end up flat on his back minus a few teeth and brain cells. I hope it's the former

• Like 1

Spence just edged it. Have to say I agree spence has not improved since the brook fight and I still maintain he got lucky with that win when brooks eye socket went.

he battered Garcia but he was tiny and couldn’t knock him out. Just edged porter. I still think Crawford beats him. A much better boxer. 

Expecting manny vs Crawford next before we get spence vs Crawford as I thin’ Crawford will have too much fir manny at his age. 

38 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Spence just edged it. Have to say I agree spence has not improved since the brook fight and I still maintain he got lucky with that win when brooks eye socket went.

he battered Garcia but he was tiny and couldn’t knock him out. Just edged porter. I still think Crawford beats him. A much better boxer. 

Expecting manny vs Crawford next before we get spence vs Crawford as I thin’ Crawford will have too much fir manny at his age. 

It's Spence - Pacquiao next. Both fight on the same platform. Easy to make. Arum has no opponents for Crawford. He's locked out essentially. Fighting some Lithuanian dude end of this year. It really is a case of Crawford needing Spence than vice versa. Spence can fight Pacquiao next ( Which he will ) Danny Garcia, Keith Thurman. All on PBC. All Haymon fighters. Arum has nobody for Crawford to fight. Khan was scraping the barrel stuff to be honest. Arum says he's talking to Haymon about doing Spence - Crawford but i dunno.

7 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

It's Spence - Pacquiao next. Both fight on the same platform. Easy to make. Arum has no opponents for Crawford. He's locked out essentially. Fighting some Lithuanian dude end of this year. It really is a case of Crawford needing Spence than vice versa. Spence can fight Pacquiao next ( Which he will ) Danny Garcia, Keith Thurman. All on PBC. All Haymon fighters. Arum has nobody for Crawford to fight. Khan was scraping the barrel stuff to be honest. Arum says he's talking to Haymon about doing Spence - Crawford but i dunno.

Apparently Spences team has confirmed he is fighting Danny garcia next. Easy Spence win there.

Hopefully they can make the Crawford-spence fight happen that's the one we all want to see.

• Like 1

I thought Porter was massively underestimated for the Spence fight. When Porter fights that dog fight their aren't many better. By constantly being on the chest of Spence, he forced Spence into fighting his type of fight. Spence, it seemed, tried to make the adjustments, but was denied by Porter's constant pressure. 

If the knockdown hadn't occurred, I would have scored it a draw.

Edited by sheepyvillian

3 minutes ago, sheepyvillian said:

I thought Porter was massively underestimated for the Spence fight. When Porter fights that dog fight their aren't many better. By constantly being on the chest of Spence, he forced Spence into fighting his type of fight. Spence, it seemed, tried to make the adjustments, but was denied by Porter's constant pressure. 

If the knockdown hadn't occurred, I would have scored it a draw.

Spence taking a lot of unjustifiable flak after the fight. Porter is a tough nights work for anybody. Correct me if im wrong but his 3 loses now have all been split decision loses ? All against Brook ( was in his absolute prime ) Thurman and Spence. 

31 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Spence taking a lot of unjustifiable flak after the fight. Porter is a tough nights work for anybody. Correct me if im wrong but his 3 loses now have all been split decision loses ? All against Brook ( was in his absolute prime ) Thurman and Spence. 

Correct. I thought Spence done okay, his mistake was to underestimate Porter. I think he thought he would knock him out, but they don't come much more resilient than Porter. 

Spence doesn't really dare to be great, he has gone backwards since the Brook fight and has not been fighting enough top tier fighters. He underwhelmed against Porter and that to me is due to him not putting in the sort of hard work that he was putting in before, there's an arrogance to him and a comfort zone, knowing he can continue to fight within himself. 

On 30/09/2019 at 14:50, Dr_Pangloss said:

Spence doesn't really dare to be great, he has gone backwards since the Brook fight and has not been fighting enough top tier fighters. He underwhelmed against Porter and that to me is due to him not putting in the sort of hard work that he was putting in before, there's an arrogance to him and a comfort zone, knowing he can continue to fight within himself. 

Completely agree. He thinks he is the best and looks very arrogant to me. His last two fights have been meh. Couldn't even knock out a tiny garcia. I think he got lucky against brook too. 

I still think Crawford beats him.  

Chisora Vs Parker is off.

In one of the stranger reasons for pulling out of a fight Parker has aparently been bitten by a spider 🕷️

Povetkin, Hunter, Rivas apparently on the shortlist to replace him. Hearn needs a name as the PPV without them isn't going to do much.

Chisora Povetkin would probably be a more interesting fight than Parker would have been anyway. Won't be one for the purists but would be a good old fashioned scrap

Edited by LakotaDakota

10 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Completely agree. He thinks he is the best and looks very arrogant to me. His last two fights have been meh. Couldn't even knock out a tiny garcia. I think he got lucky against brook too. 

I still think Crawford beats him.  

Crawford needs to beat a live welterweight. Crawford is a tremendous talent but he has been manouvered very well since he went to 147lbs. Not saying he hasn't beaten anyone in his career. He's had some fine wins. The dismantling of Postol was impressive. But he's not beaten anyone significant since he's campaigned at welterweight. Khan is not elite. Let's not argue otherwise. In what way do you think Spence got lucky against Brook ? He dominated from the 8th round on and dropped him in the 10th. Was ahead on all 3 scorecards at the time it was waived off. Think there was no element of luck involved. He won well. Spence didn't look fantastic Saturday night but anybody who beats porter beats him 7-5 or 8-4. Porter doesn't get obliterated. Doesn't happen.

8 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Crawford needs to beat a live welterweight. Crawford is a tremendous talent but he has been manouvered very well since he went to 147lbs. Not saying he hasn't beaten anyone in his career. He's had some fine wins. The dismantling of Postol was impressive. But he's not beaten anyone significant since he's campaigned at welterweight. Khan is not elite. Let's not argue otherwise. In what way do you think Spence got lucky against Brook ? He dominated from the 8th round on and dropped him in the 10th. Was ahead on all 3 scorecards at the time it was waived off. Think there was no element of luck involved. He won well. Spence didn't look fantastic Saturday night but anybody who beats porter beats him 7-5 or 8-4. Porter doesn't get obliterated. Doesn't happen.

Your right Crawford needs a top level fight. I'd imagine pacman will be next for him and that be a real test as he looked bfrat against Thurman.

With brook I thought brook was actually winning the fight until I think it was 6th or 7th. Technically he wasn't dropped his eye socket went and I think it was more of a psychological issue after what happened against triple g.

That triple g fight ruined Brooks career..

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Your right Crawford needs a top level fight. I'd imagine pacman will be next for him and that be a real test as he looked bfrat against Thurman.

With brook I thought brook was actually winning the fight until I think it was 6th or 7th. Technically he wasn't dropped his eye socket went and I think it was more of a psychological issue after what happened against triple g.

I rate Spence highly. I think he would of been a tough nights work for brook before or after Golovkin. Hearn gave brook the short end. Had to go to America to get his title shot. Made some defences when he won it against fellas who had no business fighting him ( Gavin, Bizier) He never a hope of beating Golovkin. Hearn couldn't deliver him Khan, or any elite welterweight. He had to fight Errol Spence. Spence positioned himself into a mandatory position. For the tangibles that Spence had going in his favour that night ( ie Brook beaten up in his previous fight, coming back to welterweight ) you have to give him huge credit for going to Bramall lane, very hostile and winning. Brook didnt look shot to me. Beaten by a better man.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

If Spence fights Danny Garcia next which seems to be the case now, Arum has gotta get in there and do a deal for Crawford-Pacquiao.  Horn, Benavidez, Khan is a pretty lame resume for a guy staking a claim to be the best at 147lbs.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Johnnyp said:

I rate Spence highly. I think he would of been a tough nights work for brook before or after Golovkin. Hearn gave brook the short end. Had to go to America to get his title shot. Made some defences when he won it against fellas who had no business fighting him ( Gavin, Bizier) He never a hope of beating Golovkin. Hearn couldn't deliver him Khan, or any elite welterweight. He had to fight Errol Spence. Spence positioned himself into a mandatory position. For the tangibles that Spence had going in his favour that night ( ie Brook beaten up in his previous fight, coming back to welterweight ) you have to give him huge credit for going to Bramall lane, very hostile and winning. Brook didnt look shot to me. Beaten by a better man.

I think brook should have faced Spence BEFORE triple G. May have seen a different outcome. Guess we will never know although brook has said he would fight Spence again but up one or two weights.

I think mentally the triple g fight messed up brook for this fight. Hearn did a terrible.job for kels career. He can't even deliver Khan vs brook under same promote either!

• Like 1

I watched the Brook and Spence fight and as soon as Spence went up a gear, Brook couldn't match him. Hence why Hearn never wanted Brook to take the fight in the first place. Spence might not have looked so good against Porter, but maybe he underestimated him.

He didn't need to knock Garcia out, he was content with giving him a boxing lesson, and let's not forget, Garcia was no mug.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I watched the Brook and Spence fight and as soon as Spence went up a gear, Brook couldn't match him. Hence why Hearn never wanted Brook to take the fight in the first place. Spence might not have looked so good against Porter, but maybe he underestimated him.

He didn't need to knock Garcia out, he was content with giving him a boxing lesson, and let's not forget, Garcia was no mug.

Show me the guy who obliterates Shawn Porter and I'll show u a welterweight that doesn't exist.

1 hour ago, sheepyvillian said:

I agree RE Spence - Brook. Even when Brook was winning round early Spence was breaking him down to the body. Spence had a clear strategy and executed it perfectly.

On the Garcia fight, well Garcia is something of a mug at 147, he's too small. I was very surprised Spence didn't stop him to be honest. I think the Spence who went in the ring with Brook would have got the stoppage. For me Spence has stepped off the gas over the past 18 months and it's showing in his performances.

Â