The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

On 16/10/2019 at 13:26, Demitri_C said:

Can't see him winning unless someone interferes. Strowman is built up like a unstoppable monster yet fury who has never wrestled beats him?

Strange match. Would have made more sense if he was going up with someone abit smaller.

Like someone will interfere and give fury the win. Maybe Wyatt?

Vince McMahon doesnt usually allow real combat athletes to lose cleanly. Shamrock, Rousey spring to mind

17 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

It was a 'meh' fight, competitive but I wasn't massively impressed with either. Prograis has some nice movement and quickness but keeps his right hand too low and doesn't appear to be especially thoughtful. It's a weak division these days.

It's poor. I do like the concept of these tournaments though. It gives clarity, or close enough to it. They couldn't get Jose Ramirez into it . The obvious fight is him versus Taylor now for all 4 titles.

That was some pace set by Taylor, he forced Prograis in to his type of fight and didn't allow Prograis a second to relax and he hadn't been put under that pressure before but he's one tough cookie and by the tenth round had started to wrestle the momentum back. Good job there wasn't another round left.

Hats off to Taylor, for such a long armed lad he does some beautiful stuff on the inside. Talk of him facing Lewis Ritson at St James park. Ritson would be lucky to last 3 rounds. 

Zero hype during fight week for Canelo-Kovalev. I think Kovalev has kind of lost that air of invincibility he had before he ran into Ward. Canelo,  Reynoso Jr and Sr are some of the most smart people in boxing. He's never ducked anyone but he makes moves when he's ready and not before. I don't think Canelo would jump in 2 weights to fight Beterbiev or Bivol. He's a smart guy. It's a winnable fight for him and i think he will win and Kovalev probably has enough name recognition left for a win over him to mean something to Canelo's legacy. 

6 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Zero hype during fight week for Canelo-Kovalev. I think Kovalev has kind of lost that air of invincibility he had before he ran into Ward. Canelo,  Reynoso Jr and Sr are some of the most smart people in boxing. He's never ducked anyone but he makes moves when he's ready and not before. I don't think Canelo would jump in 2 weights to fight Beterbiev or Bivol. He's a smart guy. It's a winnable fight for him and i think he will win and Kovalev probably has enough name recognition left for a win over him to mean something to Canelo's legacy. 

That failed drug test has left a very deep stain and rightly so. 

15 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Sticking my neck out and picking Kovalev to win to be honest.

I guess I'm ignoring the writing on the wall, Kovalev clearly hand pick,ed looks weaker than ever and you have to wonder whether there's darker forces at play.

However he still has the best jab in the sport, not only can he dominate fights with it but he can badly hurt you with it. I don't see Canelo getting in on it, Canelo is a lot smaller in dimensions so if he can't get beyond that jab he won't win the fight.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Sticking my neck out and picking Kovalev to win to be honest.

I guess I'm ignoring the writing on the wall, Kovalev clearly hand pick,ed looks weaker than ever and you have to wonder whether there's darker forces at play.

However he still has the best jab in the sport, not only can he dominate fights with it but he can badly hurt you with it. I don't see Canelo getting in on it, Canelo is a lot smaller in dimensions so if he can't get beyond that jab he won't win the fight.

The reason i think Canelo wins is because i think he'll bust him up to the body. Mid range is where Kovalev wants it but Canelo is far too good to be kept at the end of a jab all night. His upper body/ hip movement are outstanding. Gassing is Kovalev's big problem. Was winning the first Ward fight until tiredness unravelled him. Probably winning the second too and then got hurt to the body. Was beating Eleidar Alvarez, gassed and got beaten again. He'll be game here for a while and as the real light heavyweight in this fight, he'll be dangerous early on. Canelo will take over though if Kovalev doesn't dent him early.

4 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

The reason i think Canelo wins is because i think he'll bust him up to the body. Mid range is where Kovalev wants it but Canelo is far too good to be kept at the end of a jab all night. His upper body/ hip movement are outstanding. Gassing is Kovalev's big problem. Was winning the first Ward fight until tiredness unravelled him. Probably winning the second too and then got hurt to the body. Was beating Eleidar Alvarez, gassed and got beaten again. He'll be game here for a while and as the real light heavyweight in this fight, he'll be dangerous early on. Canelo will take over though if Kovalev doesn't dent him early.

Neither fighter has good stamina to be honest and Canelo will be carrying a lot more extra weight which will affect his stamina even more. Kovalev does of course gas and is weak to the body so there's a lot of interesting dynamics in play.

Canelo will have never experienced a jab as good as Kovalev so will be telling to see how Kovalev lands that earlier and if Canelo can get in. Another element is Kovalev, as the career light heavyweight, might look to take risks against a 'smaller guy' and get closer and try to exert perceived strength advantages, could be Kovalev's undoing but then, I'd be surprised if Canelo's power really translates to this weight. Kovalev has been hit hard by Alvarez (Eleidar), Ward and Pascal who objectively hit harder than Canelo.

Kovalev taking multiple attempts to make weight, not see that from him before. I also read there's some sort of rehydration clause at 185lbs. Either Kovalev is just not going to care and go in as heavy as possible or he's genuinely struggling with the weight and the clause will impact him further. Far less excited about this one now, he could be going in there a dead man.

On 01/11/2019 at 13:40, Johnnyp said:

because he is a massive drugs cheat and will be fully loaded before the fight and will be protected by his hugely corrupt promotion team by backhanders and bribes

I **** despise Canelo

Hearing online that Canelo camp has insisted on a night time check weigh in where Kovalev can't be above 190lbs. If true, shocking. He must surely come to the ring close to 200lbs most fights. Why step up 2 weights and not let the other guy even have a proper meal after the weigh in on the Friday. Not gonna bother getting up for this.

Edited by Johnnyp

13 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Kovalev taking multiple attempts to make weight, not see that from him before. I also read there's some sort of rehydration clause at 185lbs. Either Kovalev is just not going to care and go in as heavy as possible or he's genuinely struggling with the weight and the clause will impact him further. Far less excited about this one now, he could be going in there a dead man.

He's gotta do the weight right. If he piles on loads after the weigh in and doesn't care about paying the fine, he'll be bolloxed after 4 rounds.

Well there you go, looked a like a fixed fight. Kovalev throwing pity-patter punches throughout, either too drained or knew he was going down in the 11th. Canelo up on the cards even though he barely did anything, ref waves fight off as soon as Kov goes down although he wasn't getting up from that, likely because he has been paid to lose. Something stank about this fight in the week before it and the fight did absolutely stink.

2 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Well there you go, looked a like a fixed fight. Kovalev throwing pity-patter punches throughout, either too drained or knew he was going down in the 11th. Canelo up on the cards even though he barely did anything, ref waves fight off as soon as Kov goes down although he wasn't getting up from that, likely because he has been paid to lose. Something stank about this fight in the week before it and the fight did absolutely stink.

What a bloody joke that was. I smell a massive rat on this one.

The more I see stuff like this the more i want out if boxing 

• Like 1

It was a legit KO.  The odds were stacked in Canelo's favour, you get to dictate terms when you bring as much money to the table as he does and yes, at almost 37 Kovalev isn't the monster he was in 2013-2015 but it was a legit KO. I'm glad it ended like that just so there were no questions over the cards.  

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'm afraid you can NEVER trust a Canelo fight. He is not a clean fighter

You can also NEVER trust a Golden Boy fight either, doping commisions paid to look the other way and judges and referees bribed left right and centre

Canelo and Golden Boy fights are the biggest cases of fraud you will ever see in Sport, everything about them stinks 

• Like 1

Â