The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

6 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

How does that judge put wilder up??? If anything the two knock downs would have put a draw. Then fury wins

The sport is corrupt, that's why. 

• Like 1

Have to say, I'm in shock at how sharp Fury was, he was excellent, did not believe he could box like that after 3 years out, abusing his body the way he did and how poor he looked in his tune ups. He very clearly won the fight, I gave Wilder 3 rounds. Wilder at least showed that he's more than a "looping right hook" but was outclassed, really should have finished Fury in the 12th but wasn't good enough to after that knockdown. 

Honestly, the rematch ought to be more decisive, I'd imagine now Fury has had 12 rounds to read him he'd be even sharper and even better tactically. I'd say Fury should try and fight Joshua instead, with this level of sharpness a fight with Joshua would be like last night minus the knockdowns, Joshua would not touch him, doesn't have the unpredictable angles and power of Wilder, too robotic. After that Fury should look to rematch Wilder for the undisputed crown. 

What impressed me more than the sharpness was that Fury has clearly worked on his right hand, he was really more of a one handed fighter previously, but last night he was throwing lovely short right hands of which I've never seen before when he has fought at a meaningful level, definitely a better all round boxer than the one that beat Klitsckho, fair play, he has made a believer out of me.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, West said:

Haha a complete fix as expected with the scorecards. 

The judging isn't any better in the UK, it's a boxing wide problem that only a massive overhaul can stop. Namely, remove all sanctioning bodies and have one world title per division, remove the influence of promoters and have one promotional unit, basically, replicate the current UFC model and corruption will be reduced (although not eliminated). 

• Like 3

In other news Adonis Stevenson is fighting for his life after being knocked out in his fight. What a dangerous sport this is which makes these corrupt scorecards even more disturbing when guys are putting their lives at risk. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, West said:

In other news Adonis Stevenson is fighting for his life after being knocked out in his fight. What a dangerous sport this is which makes these corrupt scorecards even more disturbing when guys are putting their lives at risk. 

One might say it's karma based on his past. Disgusting man.

https://pound4poundireland.wordpress.com/2013/12/03/article-in-montreal-tabloid-graphically-details-adonis-stevensons-disturbing-and-violent-past-life-as-a-pimp/

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

50 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Have to say, I'm in shock at how sharp Fury was, he was excellent, did not believe he could box like that after 3 years out, abusing his body the way he did and how poor he looked in his tune ups. He very clearly won the fight, I gave Wilder 3 rounds. Wilder at least showed that he's more than a "looping right hook" but was outclassed, really should have finished Fury in the 12th but wasn't good enough to after that knockdown. 

Honestly, the rematch ought to be more decisive, I'd imagine now Fury has had 12 rounds to read him he'd be even sharper and even better tactically. I'd say Fury should try and fight Joshua instead, with this level of sharpness a fight with Joshua would be like last night minus the knockdowns, Joshua would not touch him, doesn't have the unpredictable angles and power of Wilder, too robotic. After that Fury should look to rematch Wilder for the undisputed crown. 

What impressed me more than the sharpness was that Fury has clearly worked on his right hand, he was really more of a one handed fighter previously, but last night he was throwing lovely short right hands of which I've never seen before when he has fought at a meaningful level, definitely a better all round boxer than the one that beat Klitsckho, fair play, he has made a believer out of me.

I think we were both suprised.  I didn't think he would knock fury twice either! I agree with that. I think Joshua will not touch fury so fury better to challenge him then fight wilder for all the belts. 

Fury considering once he gets a few more fights under his belt will be even harder to hit. If it happens in a few more fights I think fury humilated wilder this time and he won't be able to touch him once let a lone a knock down 

Aj wont want any of fury, he will think he has a  better chance against wilder as wilder is about to be clipped. I now expect him to fight whyte next and fury rematch with wilder hopefulky outside the US so fury dont get screwed again.

20 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think we were both suprised.  I didn't think he would knock fury twice either! I agree with that. I think Joshua will not touch fury so fury better to challenge him then fight wilder for all the belts. 

Fury considering once he gets a few more fights under his belt will be even harder to hit. If it happens in a few more fights I think fury humilated wilder this time and he won't be able to touch him once let a lone a knock down 

Aj wont want any of fury, he will think he has a  better chance against wilder as wilder is about to be clipped. I now expect him to fight whyte next and fury rematch with wilder hopefulky outside the US so fury dont get screwed again.

It's clear that Fury is a master of making his opponents have to reset their feet, this is achieved through a combination of upper body movement, lots of feints and his footwork, deploying lateral movement and strategic backward steps, making it really hard to pin him down and get effective offence off, by the time you've planted your feet to throw he's gone. 

I'd say that one unsung hero of the night was the referee Jack Reiss, he's a real throw back referee who believes in giving the full count. A LOT of refs would have stopped the fight in the 12th round by the count of 5 whilst Fury was still motionless. The fight could have so easily been stopped, especially if it was in the UK! He really bailed Fury out there by doing a good job, which is something we seldom say about referees in this day and age.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The judging isn't any better in the UK, it's a boxing wide problem that only a massive overhaul can stop. Namely, remove all sanctioning bodies and have one world title per division, remove the influence of promoters and have one promotional unit, basically, replicate the current UFC model and corruption will be reduced (although not eliminated). 

Completely agree, and I think this issue (and the fact that belts are totally meaningless) has been a huge leg up to MMA and in particular UFC in overtaking boxing as the most popular combat sport on the planet.

I have no idea how the above could be achieved but as long as the entire sport is about making money and nothing else at the top level, we'll keep getting these obviously corrupt results.

Watched it again and can't see how anyone could have scored the fight 115-111 to Wilder.  Sure he threw more punches but most of them were nowhere near Fury and Fury even landed more punches in 9 of the 12 rounds.

Showtime & the American coverage all had Fury up 107-101 going into the 12th. Absolute shite

I think both men surprised every one. Fury with his sharpness and whilst Wilder missed a lot with his right I thought he was pretty good to. He showed he has more than just a right hand. For a 15t heavyweight he carries some serious power. Credit to both as I thought it might be a snoozefest. I dare say I enjoyed that as much as Joshua and Wlad. I think both would beat AJ. 

• Like 1

It was a superb fight, the most entertaining I've seen in ages.  I've no idea what happens next, ie will it be the rematch, Wilder v Joshua or Fury v Joshua?   3 massive fights, whatever happens.  If it's a rematch, does that leave Joshua with the winner of Chisora v Whyte?

Fair play to Fury. That was an astonishing achievement that I didn’t think was possible. Everyone knows that he’s won that fight. **** knows how he got up in the twelfth, though. Couldn’t have been hit more flush with the left.

7 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not the first boxer to have a chequered past. Boxing if your good enough saves a lot of people from horrible lives/future. Despite his past which was the best part of 20 years ago if he has moved on which I think he has I would hate to see him a vegetable. That's the worst punishment, as cruel as it sounds I think I would rather he would pass away than be another Gerald McLellan.  That's no way for anyone to be . I appreciate to some that may sound harsh. Cruel way for anyone to end up no matter what sport. I think the same about Michael Schumacher too 🙁

5 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Watched it again and can't see how anyone could have scored the fight 115-111 to Wilder.  Sure he threw more punches but most of them were nowhere near Fury and Fury even landed more punches in 9 of the 12 rounds.

Showtime & the American coverage all had Fury up 107-101 going into the 12th. Absolute shite

They might as well have had name badges saying “we are corrupt” that’s how poorly and obvious this was that fury was robbed.

how can they even give the first two let alone FOUR to wilder.? He couldn’t get absolutely no where near fury

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, KHV said:

Not the first boxer to have a chequered past. Boxing if your good enough saves a lot of people from horrible lives/future. Despite his past which was the best part of 20 years ago if he has moved on which I think he has I would hate to see him a vegetable. That's the worst punishment, as cruel as it sounds I think I would rather he would pass away than be another Gerald McLellan.  That's no way for anyone to be . I appreciate to some that may sound harsh. Cruel way for anyone to end up no matter what sport. I think the same about Michael Schumacher too 🙁

His past is about as diabolical as they come to be honest, he may have moved on but I doubt his victims will have, I'm sure there's a few people out there celebrating what has happened to him to be honest.

9 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

AJ is a much better boxer than Wilder and a lot bigger too. I knew Fury could outbox Wilder, I've never seen a Heavyweight champion look so crude.

But different fighters, different styles. Fury is capable of beating A J, but would it be a forgone conclusion, I don't think so. AJ has the focus and discipline to avoid the mind games which Fury uses to such great affect. When a man is so self- confident, it can have an adverse affect on his opponent. Wilder allowed Fury to get in his head, he seemed rattled all week in the lead up to the fight ,it's almost like he believed what Fury was going to do.

I don't think Fury is that interested in a rematch, he wants Joshua. I hope it's the start of some great heavyweight battles, with the Brits leading the way.

After what I witnessed last night, I would give Whyte a great chance against Wilder. 

Â