The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

2 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Not sure either of them would actually want it to be outside of the US as they will make far more money there than over here. 350,000 (ish) PPV buys on showtime at $75 is $26million + whatever it did worldwide on BT Sports box office etc. There will be more interest in the rematch so should easily do 500,000 buys in the states alone but due to the time difference if they had it over here it wouldn't do anything like that. Vegas will want the rematch with the promise of thousands of travelling fans and it seems to make sense for everyone financially at least to make as much money as possible

Yeah valid point but how can fury think he will get a fair deal there?

There are no guarantees he would get a better scorecard over here. Other than the one judge that gave it by a large margin to Wilder the other two were not too far off the mark. Sure Fury was the better fighter over 12 rounds but the 2 automatic 10-8 rounds means he has to win 4 rounds to get even. That only leaves 6 rounds to pick from and despite me personally thinking Fury won most of them there were a few where not much landed at all and were quite close so i can see how he ended up by 2 on one card and another was a draw.

Whilst Fury was generally outboxing him there were a couple of rounds where Wilder may well have appeared to be the aggressor simply on Volume and Furys defensive style doesn't do him any favours sometimes on scorecards as it can often look like the other guy is far more active with Fury just getting out of the way. Not just an issue for him really as everyone who fights like this (possibly with the exception of Mayweather) is always prone to be seen as not doing enough.

Look at Hughie Fury vs Parker, Fury seemed to approach it with the same style as Tyson/Wlad and just stayed out of Parkers way for most of the night by throwing loads of jabs but in all honesty not much else, He ended up throwing about 150 more jabs than Parker over the 12 rounds but never really looked aggressive and to be going for it and ended up losing 118-110 on two of the cards and that was in Manchester.

• Like 1

A shadow of his former self. The two defeats to GGG and Spence have hurt him mentally and physically. He looked afraid to engage at times, the broken eye sockets still in the back of his mind. He is one knockout away from the end of his career. 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, West said:

A shadow of his former self. The two defeats to GGG and Spence have hurt him mentally and physically. He looked afraid to engage at times, the broken eye sockets still in the back of his mind. He is one knockout away from the end of his career. 

Sadly I agree. He needs the Khan fight bad as I think he wins that an that will help him. But khans more interested in getting humilated by Crawford and ending his own career.

That triple g fight ruined Brooks career.

Just watched the Dogboe fight. Rehydration is damaging boxing to no end. Dogboe' s opponent looked like a lightweight in the ring, how he made the weight is beyond me. 

Dogboe gave it is all, but he looked totally outgunned at times. He will have to go back down in weight because these guys are just too big and it could become a danger to his well being. Something needs to be done asap about day before the fight weigh - in's.

On 09/12/2018 at 09:20, West said:

Sign of a shot fighter is an inability to pull the trigger and that was his issue against a very ordinary opponent, at this stage Khan looks significantly sharper and 'less shot'.

Brook for me is a wasted career, very good skills but massively overprotected which means despite having a lot of fights has only ever beaten one respectable opponent in Shawn Porter, in fact you can only really say that he has shared the ring with 3 world class fighters. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

5 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Sign of a shot fighter is an inability to pull the trigger and that was his issue against a very ordinary opponent, at this stage Khan looks significantly sharper and 'less shot'.

Brook for me is a wasted career, very good skills but massively overprotected which means despite having a lot of fights has only ever beaten one respectable opponent in Shawn Porter, in fact you can only really say that he has shared the ring with 3 world class fighters. 

I would have liked to have seen Brookings Spence prior to the triple g fight one. I think brook lost that fight because partly because the damage he sustained against triple g and that was on his mind. 

the AK V KB dance is like a fight from a double glazed salesman pushing a used double glazed window on you when you want new! 

i watched AK last fight live & khan had no power, his flurry combos was enough to keep his foe off getting close.

KB looked shot..no more no less. 

its not a superfight,EH knows this & is going to sell it in this way, its just another fight,

BJS added to the Frampton Warrington Undercard. He will face Hungarian Zoltan Sera (winning record but is a club fighter at best, somehow managed to fight 50 times since June 2013)

Fair play to old Frank, decent card he has put together with Heffron/Williams, Martin Murray, Mick Conlan & Tyson Fury's brother Tommy

Shame it is on at the same time as Chisora/Whyte

He failed a test for Oxilofrine which is banned by VADA but isn't on the UK anti doping list. WBO stripped the title and have removed him from their rankings for 6 months but he is free to fight.

This is just a bit of Christmas money by the looks of things as Sera is no more than a club fighter

Looks like Khan/Brook could finally be going ahead in March/April. How it is so difficult with Hearn promoting the pair of them is a mystery. They both know they only have one or two fights left and this will make them more money than anyone else they coud go in against. Whatever the outcome Khan can still probably get a fight with Pacquiao in Asia/the far east somewhere to finish his career with an extra pay cheque if he wants to

20 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Looks like Khan/Brook could finally be going ahead in March/April. How it is so difficult with Hearn promoting the pair of them is a mystery. They both know they only have one or two fights left and this will make them more money than anyone else they coud go in against. Whatever the outcome Khan can still probably get a fight with Pacquiao in Asia/the far east somewhere to finish his career with an extra pay cheque if he wants to

Because Khan is scared.  If he loses to brook he is finished

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Because Khan is scared.  If he loses to brook he is finished

3 year ago maybe but they are both pretty much done anyway. Manny wouldn't care if Khan loses and they would still make good money from a fight in Singapore or Dubai even though everyone would know it is just for a bit of retirement money

• Like 1

7 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Typical of boxing, 3-4 years ago this is a very good fight, now we have the prospect of two highly degraded versions squaring off for a meaningless fight. Pathetic indictment of the sport.

Wlad is making noises about a rematch with AJ. If Chisora beats Whyte and Fury/Wilder go again it may well be the Solution to who fights AJ in April.

No way Chisora will get a shot at AJ and still not convinced Hearn wants the Whyte rematch as he is an awful lot better than he was & without the anger and wildness of the first fight i think he would have a very good shot at beating AJ this time around.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Wlad is making noises about a rematch with AJ. If Chisora beats Whyte and Fury/Wilder go again it may well be the Solution to who fights AJ in April.

No way Chisora will get a shot at AJ and still not convinced Hearn wants the Whyte rematch as he is an awful lot better than he was & without the anger and wildness of the first fight i think he would have a very good shot at beating AJ this time around.

Joshua has been saying some curious things to be honest. Questioning why Wilder wants a rematch with Fury when Fury has 'no titles'. Well, the lineal belt is as about the most prestigious title in the division for any real boxing head, I'm just not sure Joshua really 'gets it'. 

Wlad nearly had Joshua first time around and was schooling him IMO, although was set to get robbed on the cards. This was a faded Wlad, if he fights next year he will be 43, would be a bit ridiculous IMO at this stage. 

I've gone for this tonight

Rocky Fielding v Saul Alvarez - Saul Alvarez Round 4 - 6
Katie Taylor v Eva Wahlstrom - Katie Taylor Points or Decision
Sadam Ali v Mauricio Herrera - Sadam Ali Points or Decision
Ryan Garcia v Braulio Rodriguez - Ryan Garcia KO/TKO
Tevin Farmer v Francisco Fonseca - Tevin Farmer Points or Decision

Stake: £5.00
Potential returns: £62.59

Â