The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

12 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Joshua has been saying some curious things to be honest. Questioning why Wilder wants a rematch with Fury when Fury has 'no titles'. Well, the lineal belt is as about the most prestigious title in the division for any real boxing head, I'm just not sure Joshua really 'gets it'. 

Wlad nearly had Joshua first time around and was schooling him IMO, although was set to get robbed on the cards. This was a faded Wlad, if he fights next year he will be 43, would be a bit ridiculous IMO at this stage. 

The fact that Fury kept the lineal belt while being stripped of all others kinda tells you what you need to know about the belt i.e. it holding no value whatsoever. 

4 hours ago, villa4europe said:

thats why i can never get in to boxing, absolute shit tonight, katie taylor was the best fight, the 2 after her were boring as **** and the main fight was a con

That shouldn't surprise you though, the card was utterly predictable (I lost my bet by less than 30 seconds) 

The only reason Canelo got away with that fight in the first place was because he moved up another weight for a world title, his next fight was going to be more of the same with him looking to fight Lemmy, it'll be interesting to see who he picks now.

Reminded me of Tito Trinidad vs William Joppy, a much 'bigger' man getting destroyed due to having a brainless game plan and underestimating their own ability to take a shot from a smaller man. It was all too convenient a set up from Hearn, Canelo being gifted a title, the 'challenger' bringing nothing to the table and seemingly not even bothering to prepare properly, a sham fight.

Interestingly Canelo was forced to re-wrap his hands. Abel Sanchez always claimed that Canelo's hands were illegally wrapped for both of the GGG fights, another red flag next to Canelo's name, as dodgy as they come. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Doubt it will ever happen but would be interesting to see Canelo in with Callum Smith.

Fielding was always going to be a complete mismatch and trying to use his height to keep the fight at distance wouldn't really have mattered for long when he has shown before if you hit him hard in the body he falls over. May aswell have been Noel Fielding in there

Edited by LakotaDakota

19 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Doubt it will ever happen but would be interesting to see Canelo in with Callum Smith.

Fielding was always going to be a complete mismatch and trying to use his height to keep the fight at distance wouldn't really have mattered for long when he has shown before if you hit him hard in the body he falls over. May aswell have been Noel Fielding in there

You'd have to back Callum Smith, he's a proper super middleweight with a very good jab and power, he'd keep the fight long and potentially knock Canelo out, Canelo would have little to no chance IMO.

Just now, Dr_Pangloss said:

You'd have to back Callum Smith, he's a proper super middleweight with a very good jab and power, he'd keep the fight long and potentially knock Canelo out, Canelo would have little to no chance IMO.

Same thinking here but there is still a bit of a question mark as to how good Smith actually is. His(like many others) record isn't exactly full of world class opponents and despite him being very big for the weight & seemingly hitting hard he ends up in quite a few 12 rounders against people you would expect someone at the top of their game to get out of there easily. Not convinced he would have beaten Groves  if he was properly fit/up for it and that was his first title fight which he earned by beating a  limp wristed european level bang average light heavyweight & a middleweight kickboxer (both on points)

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Um ok. You don't seem to understand what it stands for?

The man who beat the man. Sure it's a nice thing to say about a boxer but it doesn't really require a belt nor does the belt hold any value when it comes to negotiating power in fighting for proper titles. 

Just came in to post comment about the Canelo vs Fielding fight. Even in the buildup it seemed like Fielding was in awe of Canelo and headlining at Madison Square Garden and I felt he was only ever there for the money. I'm sure it was the biggest purse of his career, but he showed again he's not in the same league as world level fighters. 

48 minutes ago, LakotaDakota said:

Same thinking here but there is still a bit of a question mark as to how good Smith actually is. His(like many others) record isn't exactly full of world class opponents and despite him being very big for the weight & seemingly hitting hard he ends up in quite a few 12 rounders against people you would expect someone at the top of their game to get out of there easily. Not convinced he would have beaten Groves  if he was properly fit/up for it and that was his first title fight which he earned by beating a  limp wristed european level bang average light heavyweight & a middleweight kickboxer (both on points)

Smith isn't that good but he is way too big for canelo. Canelo would struggle in that one.  The same  way Garcia will against Errol spence. The size just makes a mismatch. Canelo should go fight Saunders that will make both alot of money and is a fight people would want to see.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Smith isn't that good but he is way too big for canelo. Canelo would struggle in that one.  The same  way Garcia will against Errol spence. The size just makes a mismatch. Canelo should go fight Saunders that will make both alot of money and is a fight people would want to see.

I agree that fighting and actually beating a top middleweight should be Canelo's priority, of his best wins one could argue that he received very favourable scoring. He should at the very least have two defeats to Golovkin. I also think he lost to Austin Trout. The Lara fight really could have gone either way and his 'star power' ensured he got the benefit of the doubt.

Absolutely no belief whatsoever from Fielding. With all the weight and reach advantage and then to fight in a way which totally negated those advantages.  I just cannot understand his thinking or lack of. Something didn't feel right about that fight. Fielding made to look like some sacrificial lamb. 

6 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

Canelo will have another easy fight next. No way after signing that 8 fight contract are they going to ruin his hype so soon. 

Absolutely this - you don't invest $365m and the fate of your new broadcasting company into a box office product and then put that product at risk - I have a feeling his next few fights will be carefully selected, I wouldn't be surprised to see Eubank Jr get a go. I don't see him fighting anyone that can beat him in the immediate future.

Â