The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

What the hell?

GGG v Brook wierd.... maybe Hearn has come to the conclusion that he's taken Brook as far as he can go and will cash him out now and develop Eubank further

He's the younger fighter with more potential and who knows how many years that stabbing took out of him i can't see Brook beating GGG especially given the caliber of opponents he's fought in his previous couple of fights big step up imo i guess he stands more of a chance than Eubank 

Just read he's got to jump up in the weights as well.... no chance

Edited by AshVilla

56 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

What the hell?

GGG v Brook wierd.... maybe Hearn has come to the conclusion that he's taken Brook as far as he can go and will cash him out now and develop Eubank further

He's the younger fighter with more potential and who knows how many years that stabbing took out of him i can't see Brook beating GGG especially given the caliber of opponents he's fought in his previous couple of fights big step up imo i guess he stands more of a chance than Eubank 

Just read he's got to jump up in the weights as well.... no chance

Yes, cash out fight for sure. The only opponents who would bring more money to table who are close to Brook's weight class are Mayweather (retired), Pacquiao (semi-retired although talk of a Broner fight) and Canelo (just beat up another fat welterweight so no credibility).

Brook is a big welterweight but no middleweight, more of a junior middleweight so that puts him at least one division below Golovkin naturally. Brook is going to get a brutal beating, highly unlikely his power transfers to middleweight (like what we saw with De La Hoya), will also be slower with the extra weight too. Golovkin will break him down with his jab and knock him out.

It's a shame as I really wanted to see Brook fight top class welterweights like Thurman and Errol Spence.

10 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Yes, cash out fight for sure. The only opponents who would bring more money to table who are close to Brook's weight class are Mayweather (retired), Pacquiao (semi-retired although talk of a Broner fight) and Canelo (just beat up another fat welterweight so no credibility).

Brook is a big welterweight but no middleweight, more of a junior middleweight so that puts him at least one division below Golovkin naturally. Brook is going to get a brutal beating, highly unlikely his power transfers to middleweight (like what we saw with De La Hoya), will also be slower with the extra weight too. Golovkin will break him down with his jab and knock him out.

It's a shame as I really wanted to see Brook fight top class welterweights like Thurman and Errol Spence.

I thought he was fighting Vargas next i'm really shocked he's fighting GGG

Maybe Hearn thinks who cares if he loses if he does he will be in exactly the same boat as Khan who stepped up the weights and got demolished by Canelo anyway and there will always be that fight as well to earn a wedge

Edited by AshVilla

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Honest question here, why do you think brook is taking this fight? If it was just about money why would brook have waited all this time building a record only to be brutally knocked out?

do you honestly think brook believes he will be knocked out? I don't see why he would take the fight if he didn't think he could take it to points at least?

14 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

Honest question here, why do you think brook is taking this fight? If it was just about money why would brook have waited all this time building a record only to be brutally knocked out?

do you honestly think brook believes he will be knocked out? I don't see why he would take the fight if he didn't think he could take it to points at least?

No i don't but i think Hearn does if he gets blasted out by GGG he will still have a fight with Khan to fall back on so its a win win situation for eddie

Edited by AshVilla

2 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

No i don't but i think Hearn if he gets blasted out by GGG he will still have a fight with Khan to fall back on so its a win win situation for eddie

If he gets brutally knocked out its not a win-win situation? It could end his career?

20 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

If he gets brutally knocked out its not a win-win situation? It could end his career?

I can't see him getting brutally knocked out but i think the fight will definitely be stopped he actually has a defense unlike Khan who did get brutally knocked out by Canelo.

The parallels are there between the two fighters, especially with them both going up in weight to fight superior opponents.

I think Brook has reached a plateau and fighting someone like GGG will be the pinnacle of his career, I can't see him beating Thurman or anyone competitive and taking more belts his recent inactivity and reluctance to get in the ring with anyone good and the serious injury he sustained has taken that away

I think Hearn see's that he has nothing to lose hence the cashing out and it's why he wants him to fight a name such as GGG, Pacquiao, Bradley e.t.c and have one fat pay day in front of the world wide audience before he makes the domestic superfight at Wembley between him and Khan i can see him promoting it and hyping it up as a massive grudge match already.

Edited by AshVilla

7 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I can't see him getting brutally knocked out but i think the fight will definitely be stopped he actually has a defense unlike Khan who did get brutally knocked out by Canelo.

The parallels are there between the two fighters, especially with them both going up in weight to fight superior opponents.

I think Brook has reached a plateau and fighting someone like GGG will be the pinnacle of his career, I can't see him beating Thurman or anyone competitive and taking more belts his recent inactivity and reluctance to get in the ring with anyone good and the serious injury he sustained has taken that away

I think Hearn see's that he has nothing to lose hence the cashing out and it's why he wants him to fight a name such as GGG, Pacquiao, Bradley e.t.c and have one fat pay day in front of the world wide audience before he makes the domestic superfight at Wembley between him and Khan i can see him promoting it and hyping it up as a massive grudge match already.

I understand what you are saying but I do think he could beat the likes of Thurman and Khan, that's why this fight doesn't make any sense really. If he doesn't think he can beat GGG or at least take it the distance then why take the fight?

It can't just be about money, the way Eddie manages his fighters this goes against everything he normally does.

Edited by AVFCDAN

11 minutes ago, AVFCDAN said:

I understand what you are saying but I do think he could beat the likes of Thurman and Khan, that's why this fight doesn't make any sense really. If he doesn't think he can beat GGG or at least take it the distance then why take the fight?

It's all about the money imo. He isn't a very big name in America and it's the biggest opponent he could have got to come to the UK.

I'm sure he could have took the Vargas fight in Vegas or the UK but he wouldn't have made anywhere near as much money as he would fighting GGG.

Hearn has taken him as far as he can and i think he realises this which is a shame as i would have liked to seen him become a Hatton type figure and make a big name for himself in America but he hasn't been active enough or fought anyone decent over there other than Porter. Back to back fights with Gavin, Dan and Bizier have made his career lose all momentum.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

Point blank this is a cash out fight. As I said, outside a very short list of opponents proximate to Brook's weight class (Mayweather, Pacquiao, Khan and Canelo), GGG brings the most money to the table. 

Like you I'd prefer to see him fight the Thurman's of the this world and like you I believe he can beat Thurman, but Thurman can't draw flies to shit, whilst GGG is hardly a massive draw, he's a bigger name than the Thurman's of this world and has recently made it onto the short list of guys to headline a PPV in the US. 

I doubt anyone in Brook's team believes he can pull this off but the money he will earn will be the biggest of his career by a country mile. In fact the reason the Jessie Vargas fight collapsed was over money from Brook's end, Brook was taking a smaller % of the purse than Vargas, something he believed was unfair. So although he will have a smaller % of the purse than Golovkin, the size of the pie is much bigger. 

After Brook gets smashed to pieces his career is over. 

I think an interesting subtext to this is the Carson Jones fight. Jones was trained by Abel Sachenz (Golovkin's trainer) and had enormous success against Brook in the first fight by executing the Abel Sanchez tactics of stalking on the front foot and cutting the ring off. Jones' style isn't a million miles away from Golovkin's but Golovkin of course has significantly more power, much better jab and much better foot work, it's going to be very ugly for Brook. 

Anyone follow iFLTV on YouTube? Fascinating interview with Eddie Hearn on how negotiations with the Eubanks went (well I say Eubanks but Jnr has almost zero say in matters). And also generally how revenues & costs of PPV fights occur and how the profit is distributed. Well worth a watch. 

What comes across is that the Hearns are fantastic businessmen regardless of how they are perceived as people. 

On the contrary, Eubank Snr could well ruin his son's career. He was haggling on things such as who the commentators were going to be and trying to cut the costs of the undercard if Eddie Hearn is to believed. 

Edited by West

8 hours ago, West said:

Anyone follow iFLTV on YouTube? Fascinating interview with Eddie Hearn on how negotiations with the Eubanks went (well I say Eubanks but Jnr has almost zero say in matters). And also generally how revenues & costs of PPV fights occur and how the profit is distributed. Well worth a watch. 

What comes across is that the Hearns are fantastic businessmen regardless of how they are perceived as people. 

On the contrary, Eubank Snr could well ruin his son's career. He was haggling on things such as who the commentators were going to be and trying to cut the costs of the undercard if Eddie Hearn is to believed. 

I certainly believe the Hearns they have no reason to lie. Eubank was never going to fight GGG at this stage. At least Brook is willing to fight him. I hope Brook knocks Eubank out some day. 

• 2 weeks later...

Crawford vs Postol later (Box Nation) should be a really interesting fight. 

Crawford (28 years old) is considered to be the next big pound for pound star, is a very skilled, very versatile fighter with intelligence and good power. In fact Postol has been priced as low as 6 to 1, despite being, in my opinion, a seriously live underdog. Postol is very tall, rangy, cagey, with a good jab, good combinations and more power than advertised. His stand out win was a stoppage over Lucas Matthysee where outside of two rounds he totally outboxed the Argentine slugger. 

This fight will be very tactical, perhaps one for the purest, Crawford is expected to win and expect him to get the nod if it is close and goes the distance, since Bob Arum is keen to push Crawford as the next big star. I doubt Postol has the power to actually stop Crawford, who is a big guy once fully rehydrated. But I do expect this fight to be very close and potentially going to Crawford in a controversial decision.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Frampton vs Leo Santa Cruz (LSC) this weekend. Good fight, both are among the top guys in the division so nice to see a fight like this happening. 

It's definitely a fight that Frampton can win but it won't be easy. LSC is a hard guy to fight, he's very tall for the weight and although doesn't have a huge amount of power can really overwhelm opponents with very, very high volume punching. Frampton has a habit of moving back in a straight line and that's the worst thing you can do against LSC, he likes to maul opponents and push them to the ropes using his size and flurry with combinations. 

Frampton is however the more adaptive and versatile boxer, he's smarter, a better counter puncher, a better puncher in general and has more power. I do think he has vulnerabilities, he has a suspect chin and he has shown that he can be overpowered. The later being the reason I expect him to struggle at times, but I favour him by a close unanimous points win.

Â