The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

• 3 weeks later...

This thread has gone quiet

What were people's thoughts on Joe Joyce's performances in the Olympics?

I see Eubank is fighting yet another British domestic level fighter is he ever going to fight anyone good?

Brook looks to be heavily investing in sport science in his lead up to his fight with GGG not that i think it will make much difference 

The two Eubanks are in danger of killing the goose that laid the golden egg. In principle, Eubank would be perfect for GGG - you could sell him to the US really easily, he's got the abs, the highlight reel, the kind of style that looks brilliant in a two minute advert, he can talk, he's unusual - he's made for selling pay TV fights, it ought to be the easiest thing in the world to do - but, Team Eubank is so awkward to deal with that they can't even sell him to regional TV markets - the best thing that could happen to Eubank Jr is to lose Eubank Sr.

• 2 weeks later...

So who does everyone fancy GGG or Brook? I really hope Brook does it I really have  alot respect for him taking this fight but I think GGG is going to beat him quite easily. I think had Brook done a few fights at this weight he would have had a very good chance. Sadly can only see a GGG KNOCKOUT. 

2 hours ago, AVFCDAN said:

I will be backing GGG to win on points, I'm sure I've seen 6/1 offered on that.

If Murray can make it to the 11th I think Brook should be able to match that.

I can't see it going 12 rounds, the longer it goes on the more chance of a knockout on brook. I think he is going to tire significantly with the increase in weight and him not being use to box at that size.

After watching a fat manc gypsy beat a super boxing robot, getting caught up in the british sport is great (bar england national football team) hype and the recent shocks in UFC i am going for a £20 treble on Brook to win inside the distance, Smith to beat Canelo & Ovill McKenzie to beat Marco Huck at 522/1.

Could make september fun :)

Brook is a funny one, people keep mentioning him moving up 2 weight classes but GGG is a small middleweight (although he hits harder than most of the bigger ones) and i wouldn't be surprised if brook is usually the bigger of the two when they are between fights walking around at 12.5-13 stone meaning it is one hell of a cut for him to get down to 10.7 to fight at welter. The extra stone at middleweight should help him power wise but it may play havoc with his fitness/cardio during the fight as he will not be used to carrying the extra weight.

Brook hits hard at welter but his whole record is just about all crap so i'm not sure anyone, including himself actually knows how good he is.

GGG hits hard and smashes people out of there early but there is a lot of average/crap on his record too and much like when Tyson was at his destructive best many of the fighters he has faced seem to believe all of the hype and go in there fully expecting to get KO'd.

I would honestly sat similar of Canelo/Smith. Sure on paper it seems like it should be a walkover for canelo but i have a feeling that he may just take this one against a fairly unknown & unglamorous brit a little for granted & get caught. Smith seems to be getting better every fight, throwing some truly destructive shots along the way and canelo has been up/down/all over the weights for the past few years and may have his focus still on GGG in future rather than a pasty liverpudlian.

As for huck/ovill i just think that despite being much younger Huck is on the way out, since 2012 he has fought only 4 different people and many of his fights now are tight decisions all at home in germany.

McKenzie flew to argentina on 2 weeks notice, battered victor ramirez around the ring for most of the 12 rounds and somehow only got a draw and just seems to be on somewhat of a twilight revival to his career. I just hope he isn't the victim of another "home decision" this time around.

Or i could be completely wrong and they'll all have bruised arses inside a few minutes as on paper they are probably all mismatches

Brook has no chance imo

He looks in great shape not a bloated up fighter like Khan did when he fought Canelo his conditioning looks superb but i don't think it will be enough

When those heavy hands of GGG start landing he will crumble

Brook is going to get destroyed after a cagey first two rounds, he will get dropped numerous times and stopped by the mid point of the fight. The reason for this IMO is that Brook's optimal distance is mid-range, he can't fight on the inside and I'm not overly convinced he can fight off the back foot to a massively high standard - yes he did the latter against Porter but Porter is far more basic than Golovkin when it comes to balance, footworks and feints. So mid-range it is and this is very much Golovkin's preferred distance to operate from. 

I see Brook playing into Golovkin's hands - doesn't have the skills/strength to trouble him on the inside, doesn't really have the skills to run the entire fight without getting stalked and beaten up, won't have the drop on Golovkin from mid range as I do not believe he has the power to trouble him.

It will be interesting to see the effect of the weight on Brook. I do rate Brook's power at welter, but it isn't exactly enormous, I think power gains will be small - highly unlikely to be as powerful as Lemieux or Curtis Stevens, and GGG ate their power (especially Stevens) with no effect. His cardio is likely to be affected which will cause problems if he does try to run, and against one of the best body punchers in the game will get exploited. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Brook weighing in heavier than GGG is an interesting strategy. Clearly he's not built to stick and move for 12 rounds, with that sort of weight it's likely he is looking to stand his ground and fight for the centre of the ring. This IMO will not work, I was expecting him to come in light(ish), i.e. around 155/156 lbs, I think he has bulked up too much and won't stand him in good stead if he does end up having to get on his bicycle. 

GGG looked normal in the body but a little gaunt in the face, although the lighting on the photos played a part in making it look worse. It's not uncommon for fighters to come into a fight with a cold or a bit of a bug, GGG did  before in the Rosado match up, hopefully it's something he can shake off. 

7 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I really don't care where a boxer is from to be honest. Just because someone is from the UK doesn't mean they automatically get my support.

OH THANKYOU DR P

too many people let national pride get in the way of boxing skills

having said that, how do you think Beefy Smith and Canelo will go?, I really think that Beefy can cause an upset, I'm not saying that he will win but I think he will be a helluva bigger challenge than the yanks are expecting, I like his mentality, he knows that he is seen as the weak link of the division and he is playing on it.

I really like Beefy purely because he is a nasty little bastard, it ain't often that you see someone grin and hear them cackle when they hurt someone

• Like 1

15 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

I really like Beefy purely because he is a nasty little bastard, it ain't often that you see someone grin and hear them cackle when they hurt someone

He's tough, he's physical, he's strong and he can hit - but to me (and I'm no expert) he doesn't look like he has the speed or movement to make the step up for Canelo - I think Canelo will wear him down and take him in mid to late rounds.

I can only admire how GGG presents himself. For such a talented man he is refreshingly down to earth. 

Kell coming in the heavier is a big surprise. Hopefully, it translates and we get a good contest.

GGG looks pretty agitated to me, like he wants this over and done with. This isn't the 'charming' 'smiling' GGG but a more brooding disrespectful one, like how he was for the Curtis Stevens fight. Perhaps the occasion and Brook hype is getting to him, he's getting no love from the fans who are naturally very partisan over here. I expect him to try and get the job done as early as possible with no attempt to get additional rounds under his belt (as he has done in the past). 

Â