The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

There's a lot of Eddie Hearn haters out there but to be fair this is a great night of boxing. Yes, all fights may not be competitive but you've got exciting boxers and interesting match ups all in one night. 

8 hours ago, AshVilla said:

So Joshua v Breazeale, Groves v Murray, Eubank Jnr v Doran tomorrow

Other than the Groves Murray fight which i think may be competitive, is this just another Eddie Hearn knock out a bum PPV spectacular?

I think it's going to be another case of how long will it be before Joshua knocks him out I'll be generous to Brezeale and give him 3 - 4 rounds he is an undefeated former olympian after all.

As for Doran i've never heard of him but i watched his last fight and he seems to have heart not that i think will be enough to take down Eubank Jnr who is talking about fighting Golovkin next hilarious

Yeah bit of a joke opponent for AJ. Some bookies have it 14/1 against 1/50. 

Paying for this crap? thank god for time4tv

Edited by Kingman

33 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Thurman vs Porter is the most competitive and interesting fight on today.

Is it actually going to happen this time it seems like i've been waiting years for this fight

2 hours ago, West said:

There's a lot of Eddie Hearn haters out there but to be fair this is a great night of boxing. Yes, all fights may not be competitive but you've got exciting boxers and interesting match ups all in one night. 

Not really. This is not a PPV worthy card, selling what are largely mismatches for £15 odd a throw is not good for the sport at all.

1 hour ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Not really. This is not a PPV worthy card, selling what are largely mismatches for £15 odd a throw is not good for the sport at all.

Groves vs Murray is the only thing worth watching.

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Agreed, it's a decent domestic dust up. Although I'm not too convinced about Murray's viability as a super middle weight.

Yeah I know what you mean about Murray. It should be a good fight, I quite like Martin Murray, he should have been a world champuion by now.

1 minute ago, The_Rev said:

He got stitched up against Martinez a few years ago, I think he's probably a bit old now. 

I was never convinced that he did enough to beat Sturm, despite some calling it a robbery. He also didn't do enough to deserve the win against Arthur Abraham recently, and AA is pretty much shot to shit and got comprehensively out boxed in his last outing. 

he definitely was robbed in the Martinez fight. He knocked him down twice but one of them was incorrectly ruled a slip. At this point Sergio was well past his best and had turned old overnight in that last round with Chavez, his punches didn't have the same pop, mainly because he was boxing with one leg. Murray was never going to get a win in Sergio's backyard though, he would have had to knock Sergio out just to get a draw.

I think Groves should win this fight, Murray is tough, as we saw in the Golovkin fight but Groves has a very good jab and a lot of power in the right hand when he gets his rhythm going. Murray would be well advised to make it ugly on the inside and disrupt Grove's rhythm and drag the fight into the late rounds where Groves' lack of conditioning always becomes a factor, but then Murray tends to fight cagey and at mid range, which plays perfectly into Groves' hands.  

3 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Disagree. It's putting boxing in the spotlight. People want to watch the careers of guys like AJ and Eubank Jnr unfold. They'll pay the money. 

19 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I was never convinced that he did enough to beat Sturm, despite some calling it a robbery. He also didn't do enough to deserve the win against Arthur Abraham recently, and AA is pretty much shot to shit and got comprehensively out boxed in his last outing. 

he definitely was robbed in the Martinez fight. He knocked him down twice but one of them was incorrectly ruled a slip. At this point Sergio was well past his best and had turned old overnight in that last round with Chavez, his punches didn't have the same pop, mainly because he was boxing with one leg. Murray was never going to get a win in Sergio's backyard though, he would have had to knock Sergio out just to get a draw.

I think Groves should win this fight, Murray is tough, as we saw in the Golovkin fight but Groves has a very good jab and a lot of power in the right hand when he gets his rhythm going. Murray would be well advised to make it ugly on the inside and disrupt Grove's rhythm and drag the fight into the late rounds where Groves' lack of conditioning always becomes a factor, but then Murray tends to fight cagey and at mid range, which plays perfectly into Groves' hands.  

I though Murray did enough to beat Sturm, it certainly wasn't a robbery. As we all know doing enough oddly isn't enough when challeging for a title.

I would like Murray to win tonight, I don't like Groves and never have. I just can't warm to him at all.

16 minutes ago, West said:

Disagree. It's putting boxing in the spotlight. People want to watch the careers of guys like AJ and Eubank Jnr unfold. They'll pay the money. 

...and it would be more in the spotlight if if were on 'regular' sky rather than PPV.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

...and it would be more in the spotlight if if were on 'regular' sky rather than PPV.

Agreed but unfortunately that is the world we live in, everything is an opportunity to make money. 

The only thing I would say is the paying public are getting quantity if not quality. They are not getting robbed like the recent 'Haye Day' nights!

5 hours ago, The_Rev said:

While this thread is ticking, thoughts on Eubank jr vs GGG? 

I think the fight would be thrilling, open, one sided and over in a round. Bank Jr would throw about four wild punches and GGG would walk through and knock him out.

Â