The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

BOMB SQUAD

More like Bum Squad, Wilder looked like absolute shit. 

He will always have a punchers chance with that power but he was getting outboxed by a very ordinary fighter for a lot of that fight. Wilder's world will come crashing down when he fights a top heavyweight. 

BOMB SQUAD

More like Bum Squad, Wilder looked like absolute shit. 

He will always have a punchers chance with that power but he was getting outboxed by a very ordinary fighter for a lot of that fight. Wilder's world will come crashing down when he fights a top heavyweight. 

The key there being "top" heavyweight...

Fury as champion, haye back and pimping himself for fights that he doesn't deserve, the guy last night winning cos the other fighter popped his knee, the public wanting Joshua to have fights he's not ready for

It's an interesting division again at least but not for boxing reasons

I actually think that had Larry Holmes had time to prepare and get in shape he'd have given Tyson a world of problems. He was promised a lot more time but was then given pretty much 1-2 months, having being retired for a quite a long time, in the end the money was so big he couldn't refuse. 

I'm trying to think of signature Mike Tyson performances. You can point to a couple of the obvious ones (Berbick, Spinks, Biggs, Holmes) but they have massive caveats don't they? Berbick was a weak champion in a weak era, Spinks was a career light heavyweight who was fortunate to catch Larry Holmes on the way down, Biggs was the American Fraudley, Holmes was too old.  Tyson was very good but I just can't get behind the talk that he is anywhere near the best heavyweight ever.  Two or three years in the mid 80s aside, he wasn't even the best of his era, Holyfield and Lewis both trump him in my opinion.  

I agree, his two biggest names in the 1980s (Holmes and Spinks) were basically retired at the time they fought. His return to the sport after prison was a total freak show, his best wins being Botha (fringe contender) and Golota (damaged goods by that point). He was expected to destroy Holyfield who was considered shot by that point, but ended up getting dominated throughout and stopped late. 

If you think about it, his best career win was probably Razor Ruddock, who was never anything more than a contender. Ultimately, the pull when it comes to Tyson was his prodigious talent and power at such a young age. He's the youngest heavyweight champ ever and was an absolute phenom.

But in the grand scheme of things, his lack of impressive wins have to discount any claim to be the best heavyweight ever, in fact, he's not even top 10.

• Like 1

Danny Garcia vs Robert Guerrero tonight.

Not necessarily a bad fight in itself. This is Garcia's first fight at welterweight and Guerrero is really something of a gatekeeper at this weight. The problem I have with this fight is that this is for the WBC title!?!?!.

Now, why should Garcia get a shot when he has done absolutely nothing at that weight? And why should Guerrero be contesting a title when he has never been convincing at that weight class anyway. Plus he recently got dominanted by Thurman and needed a robbery to get beyond Aaron Martinez. 

I personally think Garcia is a very basic fighter, boxer-movers will make him look like shit (like Khan did for the first couple of rounds of their fight and when Herrera 'beat' him), what Garcia does have is a very good chin, solid power - especially in the left hook and tends to have a habit of finding a way to win.

The Guerrero of old, who was far more on his toes, using a good jab and lateral movement, would probably beat Garcia, but Guerrero as a welterweight is far too flat footed and brawls too much, he doesn't have the power to fight like this and it will play into Garcia's hands, plus Guerrero is looking slower and his punch resistance is perhaps waning, having been downed in his last two fights, including in that Martinez fight (Martinez is an absolute non puncher). So I wouldn't be too surprised if he gets stopped late on.  

I didn't hear about that Brook/Khan thing, but I think it makes sense in a weird kind of way. Brook has the belt, Khan brings all the money and interest to the table in this fight.  He's the guy who sells the fight.  It's never going to happen but imagine a megacard this summer with Brook - Khan and Haye - someone at Wembley?  It would be awesome.   Haye wouldn't do it of course, he can sell out the O2 with club fighters earning peanuts on the undercard so he's going to stay there unless he has to go somewhere else for a title shot, but I'd love a monster fight weekend this summer. 

• Like 1

Is it?  40% of what Khan can bring to the table is probably more money than 70-80% of what Brook can generate against whichever opponent Eddie Hearn can deliver. 

12 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I didn't hear about that Brook/Khan thing, but I think it makes sense in a weird kind of way. Brook has the belt, Khan brings all the money and interest to the table in this fight.  He's the guy who sells the fight.  It's never going to happen but imagine a megacard this summer with Brook - Khan and Haye - someone at Wembley?  It would be awesome.   Haye wouldn't do it of course, he can sell out the O2 with club fighters earning peanuts on the undercard so he's going to stay there unless he has to go somewhere else for a title shot, but I'd love a monster fight weekend this summer. 

The fight's only meaningful insofar as Brook has a world title and British. Pretty much any other fight out there for Khan will not generate as much money as this one. To demand 80-20 is a power play, simple as that, it's the sort of purse really designed to push Brook away more than anything else. I think a better offer would be a straight 60-40 on the purse, then Khan can have a lot more of the upside from the pay per view numbers, given he's clearly the economic A side.

However after the fight Khan's pay per view days will be well and truly over. 

But anyway, Khan doesn't want this fight in my opinion, he's still too busy being Floyd's shadow and begging him for a fight

prspyjs5.jpg

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

Not seen the Garcia vs Guerrero fight yet but sounds like a good fight.

Khan is now the mandatory for the WBC and wants revenge on Garcia.

If he beats Garcia then i think he'll fight Brook as it will generate alot more interest and money if they both have belts.

Â