The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Garcia just sucks to me, he did a very bad Floyd impression last night, trying to roll out and pot shot, he's very stiff and robotic, I don't imagine he'll be doing much at this weight.

Guerrero needs to retire, this is a guy who believe it or not used to use lateral movement and be up on his toes, he changed his 'style' to become a face first brawler and it's not doing him any favours, and won't do his health any favours down the line. 

I agreed with the judges cards, 116-112 is a fair score.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

On 23/01/2016 at 21:39, The_Rev said:

I didn't hear about that Brook/Khan thing, but I think it makes sense in a weird kind of way. Brook has the belt, Khan brings all the money and interest to the table in this fight.  He's the guy who sells the fight.  It's never going to happen but imagine a megacard this summer with Brook - Khan and Haye - someone at Wembley?  It would be awesome.   Haye wouldn't do it of course, he can sell out the O2 with club fighters earning peanuts on the undercard so he's going to stay there unless he has to go somewhere else for a title shot, but I'd love a monster fight weekend this summer. 

I think Haye v Dillian Whyte would make a good fight. 

The trash talk would drum up some interest and Whyte has enough heart and enough about him to test Haye. 

Kovalev treated Pascal like a punching bag, pretty predictable, although Pascal had good moments in the first fight (winning around 2 rounds) Kov still beat the shit out of him. This was even worse. 

Pascal dropped by a jab in round one incorrectly ruled a slip - that basically ended the fight, Pascal had no confidence and couldn't pull the trigger, but has one hell of a chin. I'm fairly certain Pascal was rendered damaged goods as a result of the first fight, he looked awful in his return fight against Gonzalez, relying on a robbery to get through. Last night Pascal's reflexes were a half a step off and he was gun shy, he got brutally deconstructed.

Kovalev is probably the coldest motherf***er I've seen in a boxing ring for a long, long time. The post fight interview is well worth checking out, Kov talks about how he has no respect for Pascal and prolonged the fight to inflict more "pain" on him. He then called out Adonis "Chickenson", made chicken noises and stuck his middle finger up at Adonis when he was in the ring. I have to admit, I like it, there's no BS in Kovalev, he's a killer.

That said, a fight with Stevenson will probably not happen due to promotional conflicts, the fight more likely to happen is Ward, who if he gets by Sullivan Barrera (and that is NOT a forgone conclusion - it's a good fight) will be squaring off with Kov later this year. I think Kovalev wins that fight.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm watching as I type.  The knockdown in R1 was clearly not a slip, Pascal benefiting from fighting at home with that one.  It's been an absolute beatdown for a few rounds now.  

Oh, and Freddie Roach has just thrown the towel in. 

Kovalev talking smack in the post fight interview! 

Edited by The_Rev

10 hours ago, NorthernGordon said:

Kovalev is the real life Ivan Drago.... 

Pretty much, the only current light-heavy I see out there who has a decent shot of beating him is Artur Beterbiev. Also Olesksandr Gvozdyk looks a real prospect but some way off a fight with Killer Kov. 

Stevenson always has a punchers chance but open defense and a fragile chin tells me he won't last 5 rounds. 

Genuinely concerned for Frank Bruno's health. If any Boxing Board of Control gives a 54 year old man with bipolar disorder a licence then surely questions need to be asked! The film Rocky Balboa is one thing but this is real life and someone will get killed.

By all means have him spar with some people with a headguard to make some money, but a full on fight is not something I'd wanna see

• Like 1

Khan v Canelo. 

Fair play to Khan for going after the bigger names. 

Wow at 155lbs...

Meanwhile..Kell Brook is fighting yet another bum.

Khan has balls. Can see his speed troubling Canelo but obviously with this being at 155 and Canelo weighing 170ish come fightnight, 1 clean punch and its lights out.

I'm sure I read that Khan hasn't fought hard since May, perhaps he has bulked up in the interim period, but it's taken that long to do it sensibly where he still maintains his speed? Complete guess work, but you'd think he would've done something to accept the fight at that weight.

Pleased Khan is going to be active, feel his chasing of Pac and Mayweather has wasted a good 12 months of his career. Ups the ante for Brook as if he wants to fight Khan he is now going to have to fight someone of serious pedigree to make the fight happen to prove Porter wasn't a fluke and that he wants the Khan fight. Whether Canelo is the right choice I don't know but if Khan did manage to beat him it sets a real marker of where he is at pound for pound fighterwise

4 hours ago, YGabbana said:

Meanwhile..Kell Brook is fighting yet another bum.

Khan has balls. Can see his speed troubling Canelo but obviously with this being at 155 and Canelo weighing 170ish come fightnight, 1 clean punch and its lights out.

They should probably put Brook and Hearn on suicide watch, they put all their eggs in the Khan basket and Khan screwed them, now Brook is fighting another nobody the damage to his rep is accumulating, they need to pull out a really big fight for him for later on this year.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

They should probably put Brook and Hearn on suicide watch, they put all their eggs in the Khan basket and Khan screwed them, now Brook is fighting another nobody the damage to his rep is accumulating, they need to pull out a really big fight for him for later on this year.

Who could brook realistically fight though? He isn't a big draw and anyone who knows their stuff will recognize him as a dangerous opponent with not much to gain by beating him and a lot to lose by losing to him.

Â