The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Just now, YGabbana said:

I didnt say Khan was above Brook in any rankings.

Viewership and moneywise Khan is ranked higher though.

Id say Paquaio, Bradley and Thurman are ahead of Brook imo.

Look i dont discredit Brooks win against Porter but all im saying is since then its been bum after bum and we both know thats Eddie Hearns way of doing things.

We could debate all night as to who would win if Khan and Brook fought, lets hope it happens soon so it can be put to bed.

I totally share the skepticism in terms of how Brook has been handled, it has really annoyed me too. I can also just about agree with your list, I'd put Pacquiao and Bradley ahead of Brook (although I'd pick Brook in a fight with Bradley, Bradley deserves it on resume). In terms of Thurman, well, his resume is deeper but that Porter win trumps anything Thurman has done in my book, so I'd have Brook edging it. 

But yeah, a fight with Khan is one I'd really look forward to, so let's hope it happens. 

• Like 1

I didnt say Khan was above Brook in any rankings.

Viewership and moneywise Khan is ranked higher though.

Id say Paquaio, Bradley and Thurman are ahead of Brook imo.

Look i dont discredit Brooks win against Porter but all im saying is since then its been bum after bum and we both know thats Eddie Hearns way of doing things.

We could debate all night as to who would win if Khan and Brook fought, lets hope it happens soon so it can be put to bed.

I totally share the skepticism in terms of how Brook has been handled, it has really annoyed me too. I can also just about agree with your list, I'd put Pacquiao and Bradley ahead of Brook (although I'd pick Brook in a fight with Bradley, Bradley deserves it on resume). In terms of Thurman, well, his resume is deeper but that Porter win trumps anything Thurman has done in my book, so I'd have Brook edging it. 

But yeah, a fight with Khan is one I'd really look forward to, so let's hope it happens. 

Where does Joshua go next? Not much in the HW division atm, i think Hearn will continue to cash in on B level fights for now until the end of next year

27 minutes ago, YGabbana said:

Where does Joshua go next? Not much in the HW division atm, i think Hearn will continue to cash in on B level fights for now until the end of next year

To be fair he's not even fighting B level, more like C/D level, Whyte included. I think he needs a step up in class. I made a list of opponents before that I'd like to see him fight, fights that you could say are more than winnable but will do more to boost his reputation and ranking, and will give him more things to think about, so guys like Stiverne, Ruslan Chagaev, Bryant Jennings, Erkan Teper, Artur Spzilka, Joseph Parker. Take three of those, all of them genuinely B level and all of them have qualities which I do not believe Joshua has experienced in the pro games as yet. 

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

To be fair he's not even fighting B level, more like C/D level, Whyte included. I think he needs a step up in class. I made a list of opponents before that I'd like to see him fight, fights that you could say are more than winnable but will do more to boost his reputation and ranking, and will give him more things to think about, so guys like Stiverne, Ruslan Chagaev, Bryant Jennings, Erkan Teper, Artur Spzilka, Joseph Parker. Take three of those, all of them genuinely B level and all of them have qualities which I do not believe Joshua has experienced in the pro games as yet. 

Cant see Hearn putting him in with any of those though.

If Chisora is next thats disgraceful.

Hearn is a knobber of the highest order, so is his old man. Everything they have been involved in turned out dodgy. Joshua would never have lost that fight last night, that's why I stuck £150 quid on him.

If there are a couple more no marks out there who can earn Hearn a few more quid, he will put Joshua up against them. An I do believe Chisora will be one of them.

• Like 1

I'll be surprised if it's not Chisora next. Hearn will want another easy early destruction job to get the Joshua hype momentum going again. His performance against Whyte highlighted just how far away he is from being able to live with David Haye in the domestic show down they were both talking up. I know some people don't like Haye, but he would embarrass Joshua with his movement and speed, and ultimately stop him after tiring him out from running around and punching fresh air for 6 to 8 rounds. Much improvement needed in the footwork and movement department with Joshua before he dreams of taking on Haye in my opinion.

34 minutes ago, SpanishVilla said:

I'll be surprised if it's not Chisora next. Hearn will want another easy early destruction job to get the Joshua hype momentum going again. His performance against Whyte highlighted just how far away he is from being able to live with David Haye in the domestic show down they were both talking up. I know some people don't like Haye, but he would embarrass Joshua with his movement and speed, and ultimately stop him after tiring him out from running around and punching fresh air for 6 to 8 rounds. Much improvement needed in the footwork and movement department with Joshua before he dreams of taking on Haye in my opinion.

Not sure I agree with this, Haye is almost done. He would have to train very hard to get his form back an beat Joshua comfortably.

Lee vs Saunders - what a shitty fight.

In fact it pissed me so much I'm going to call Lee a bum, because he fought like one for most of that fight. He was too tentative, refused to invest to the body and didn't vary his punches at all, everything had to come from the jab, very few leads.

BJS has youth on his side, plus better speed and reflexes, he started well, and I was amazed he was able to drop Lee in the 3rd, perhaps BJS has more power than I thought, but that punch was really more about timing and accuracy, capitalising on Lee over extending himself and missing his own attack, therefore being badly off balance and unable to defend himself.

After that, BJS pretty much did **** all, landed one hayemaker over hand left which barely made Lee blink. Lee was outlanding him with the jab and then won the last two rounds big with superior power punching. Lee should have shown that urgency earlier on, but then Adam Booth is a shitty trainer and by the sound of it didn't seek to get that out of his fighter. 

I gave it BJS narrowly, the knock downs being the difference, as on balance it was a very even fight outside of that, total **** snoozer though.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

3 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Andy lee gone then

Who's next for Billy joe saunders Eubank rematch?

No one credible. WBO title now in the hands of fish-eyed Frank, they have a very cosy relationship and the title will not see the light of day again.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

BJS has a problem with switching off or **** around when he thinks he has done enough to win a fight, the first fight against Eubank JR, he didn't get dragged into a war for the final 5 rounds he went into it willingly because he had done enough to win on points, last night he got the 10-7 rd and then sat back to cruise it on points...or in his head he thought he would cruise it on points, I don;t think he was expecting it to be that close on the cards.

BJS has real class when it comes to his movements and boxing skills but he isn't a world champ, I like him but the elite of that division would hammer him, he is honest enough to admit that himself.

1 hour ago, AshVilla said:

Is Saunders the only half decent fighter warren has now a days most of the good ones eddie hearn seems to snap up

he also has Liam Smith, Terry Flannagan and Derrys Matthews, I think they are the only real names he has other than BJS these days.

24 minutes ago, leemond2008 said:

BJS has a problem with switching off or **** around when he thinks he has done enough to win a fight, the first fight against Eubank JR, he didn't get dragged into a war for the final 5 rounds he went into it willingly because he had done enough to win on points, last night he got the 10-7 rd and then sat back to cruise it on points...or in his head he thought he would cruise it on points, I don;t think he was expecting it to be that close on the cards.

BJS has real class when it comes to his movements and boxing skills but he isn't a world champ, I like him but the elite of that division would hammer him, he is honest enough to admit that himself.

His conditioning is shite, he always gasses late on in fights and his output drops. I don't imagine he will go far if he gets in with the better names of the division, however Frank will protect him, I'd imagine he'll be defending it against domestic/European level opposition. 

1 minute ago, OutByEaster? said:

Is a Eubank vs Suanders rematch more or less likely following Eubank's decision to split with yet another promoter?

More likely, he's a free agent now having left Hearn. Hearn and Warren are not on good terms so that match up is more likely.

• Like 1

On 15/12/2015 at 19:35, foreveryoung said:

Not sure I agree with this, Haye is almost done. He would have to train very hard to get his form back an beat Joshua comfortably.

That's what it'll come down to I think, whether the time away from the ring has been a help or a hindrance for him. If he doesn't look what he used to then Joshua will have a chance, but if he's still got it then I fear for Joshua if that fight is made next year.

That's what it'll come down to I think, whether the time away from the ring has been a help or a hindrance for him. If he doesn't look what he used to then Joshua will have a chance, but if he's still got it then I fear for Joshua if that fight is made next year.

Haye is in shape pretty much all year round, he didnt really stop training, more so he stopped the frequency of his training.

If you see his recent pictures, hes in tremendous shape.

Â