The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I have to agree, some of his punches don't even look like he's trying yet they still make opponents crumble.  He's the biggest puncher I can think of since Naz. 

13 hours ago, The_Rev said:

I have to agree, some of his punches don't even look like he's trying yet they still make opponents crumble.  He's the biggest puncher I can think of since Naz. 

Edwin Valero could bang, I loved watching him fight. 27 fights 27 wins 27ko, 19 wins in the 1st round. One tough cookie and a complete lunatic to boot

28 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Wasn't he just

Shame it went tits up when it did as he was just about to move up a weight IIRC which would have been fun. The best bit were his nicknames, dynamite, the terminator and the liquidator. Safe to say the kid was a few sandwiches short of a picnic and very violent

David Haye weighed in at 227lbs yesterday, that's the heaviest he has ever weighed, in his last couple of fights he was around the 210 mark, I think against Ruiz he was a bit over 220lb. 

It probably won't show in this fight, since he's fighting a bum, but I expect Haye to not have the speed he once had. Age, shoulder 'injury' and now additional weight will probably slow him down a bit.

Wilder vs Szpilka later could be interesting. Szpilka is a very crude fighter but Wilder tends to switch off and has been getting caught and rocked by very low level opposition of late, Szpilka has some power so has a good chance of at least getting Wilder a bit hurt in this one, assuming he doesn't get blasted out of there early.

He's been talking about weight as something he wanted to change to protect himself from injury - he's been eating every couple of hours and wanting to be heavier than he's been before. I don't think it'll make much difference to him, or if it's a good idea, but it is deliberate.

We'll see how he carries it, not tonight, but when the level of opposition goes up. 

I really do expect him to have slowed down. 

Haye never really convinced me as a heavyweight, not only is he too small for this division but his style isn't particularly conducive to it either. At his best he's a tremendous puncher but it's very hard to execute the 'ambush' style against a guy who's 6ft 6+ and knows how to fight tall. 

Well that was shit

Think there will no doubt be some guff about haye being "back" and trying to flog himself for a massive fight that he doesn't deserve, I think when the dust settles he might realise that wasn't necessarily a great victory for him, did well to sell out the O2 but I still don't think he'd smash a ppv

Cringe from start to finish. 

Dreadful show, dreadful fight. David really doing his best to pimp himself out "we'll find someone to fight" really did sound desperate. 

I loved how he dodged the question about pissing all his money away and doing this because he's broke. Clearly his real motivation. 

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

Â