The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

1 hour ago, KHV said:

I hope Quigg wins.

I cannot stand Carl Frampton, I can't stand the McGuigan's either. I find them really irritating, even more than Eddie Hearn which is quite something as he is a grade A tosser!

I have the same sort of sentiment. Frampton is extremely arrogant, Quigg is a lot more humble. Barry McGuigan is one of the worst pundits I've ever heard and his son is an overrated trainer. 

I didn't actually realise that Frampton is 29, hardly a spring chicken, he really has been moved slowly. The only top 10 boxer he has ever fought is Kiko Martinez. 

You would think Hatton was fighting this weekend or something 

Talk about a overhyped fight its Scott Quigg and Carl Frampton ffs

I don't like either fighter hopefully they can knock each other out

Edited by AshVilla

5 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

You would think Hatton was fighting this weekend or something 

Talk about a overhyped fight its Scott Quigg and Carl Frampton ffs

I don't like either fighter hopefully they can knock each other out

Talking about over hyped, I'd forgotten all about Ricky Hatton ;)

Not having that, Hatton was legit.  His comeback was ill advised but during his first run he only lost to the guy who was currently rated as the #1 P4P fighter in the world.  His win over Tszyu was legendary, he made Castillo look like a mug and I think he was the first guy to stop Paulie Malignaggi. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, The_Rev said:

Not having that, Hatton was legit.  His comeback was ill advised but during his first run he only lost to the guy who was currently rated as the #1 P4P fighter in the world.  His win over Tszyu was legendary, he made Castillo look like a mug and I think he was the first guy to stop Paulie Malignaggi. 

tszyu was 36 and was at the end of his career, he never fought again and had started to slow down, he fought 3 times in 2001 and then the hatton fight was his 4th in 4 years. hatton would never had beaten him in his prime, castillo was well on decline too and had only fought twice in two years before fighting hatton, his fight before hatton was a split decision over herman ngoudjo. malignaggi is renowned for punching like a feather duster so was tailor made for hatton. hatton was also extremely lucky to beat luis collazo who gave him a proper hiding and he was hanging n for dear life in the 12th. many feel collazo was robbed probably due to the potential money fight with flloyd looming.

when hatton stepped up to world level against fighters in their prime he was ko'd by mayweather (1 of only 2 mayweather ko's in 14 fights over 10 years) and the less said about the fight with manny the better.

hatton was entertaining and a decent fighter but was way more hype than substance. he got himself in the spotlight due to his fanbase and beating people approaching retirement to get to the top, once he got there though he was woefully short at that level. 

nowhere near my top 10 british boxers, probably near the top of my top 10 marketable british fighters. the boy did well with his limited ability and was very likeable indeed.

over hyped in my book

11 minutes ago, KHV said:

tszyu was 36 and was at the end of his career, he never fought again and had started to slow down, he fought 3 times in 2001 and then the hatton fight was his 4th in 4 years. hatton would never had beaten him in his prime, castillo was well on decline too and had only fought twice in two years before fighting hatton, his fight before hatton was a split decision over herman ngoudjo. malignaggi is renowned for punching like a feather duster so was tailor made for hatton. hatton was also extremely lucky to beat luis collazo who gave him a proper hiding and he was hanging n for dear life in the 12th. many feel collazo was robbed probably due to the potential money fight with flloyd looming.

when hatton stepped up to world level against fighters in their prime he was ko'd by mayweather (1 of only 2 mayweather ko's in 14 fights over 10 years) and the less said about the fight with manny the better.

hatton was entertaining and a decent fighter but was way more hype than substance. he got himself in the spotlight due to his fanbase and beating people approaching retirement to get to the top, once he got there though he was woefully short at that level. 

nowhere near my top 10 british boxers, probably near the top of my top 10 marketable british fighters. the boy did well with his limited ability and was very likeable indeed.

over hyped in my book

That's a well written piece but it's all your opinion, the facts are that he was an unbeaten top level fighter until he lost to 2 of the best fighters of the last 20 years, no shame in that. He was crude but heart and determination are just as crucial as skill in the make up of a boxer.

1 minute ago, AVFCDAN said:

He was crude but heart and determination are just as crucial as skill in the make up of a boxer.

To a certain level, then it's skill to be at the top of the game. Tyson suffered the same problem too, anyone with a half decent skill set that could box (douglas, lewis, holyfield) and the flaws were exposed.

don't get me wrong I didn't dislike Hatton, quite the opposite infact. I was there when he won his first world title, just saying he was hyped up to be better than he actually was and there were more factors to the wins over Tszyu and Castillo. A prime Castillo and and Tszyu I believe would have had his number like Mayweather, Manny and Collazo did.

Every boxer is hyped though.  I don't think anybody credible is saying Hatton is going to be up there with Muhammad Ali, Sugar Ray Leonard and Floyd Mayweather on the all time great P4P list but he was one of the best in the world in his era and I think he'd have probably been a contender in any era before or since.   He will be remembered for being one of the most (if not the most?) popular British fighters of all time.  A lot of that was down to his style, he got stuck in and was a hell of a body puncher but I think most of it was the same reason why Ian Taylor is still popular with Villa fans, Hatton was one of us, still is. 

• Like 1

Hatton was the guy at 140lbs for a good 2-3 years, he deserves a lot of credit for that. Despite Tsyzu being over the hill he still had a fair amount left in the tank, he landed some enormous shots throughout that fight but couldn't hurt Hatton, I also believe Tsyzu was ranked number 3 pound for pound by Ring magazine at the time of that fight. So it's still an excellent win. 

In terms of Castillo, well, people only called him 'shot' after that fight. Hatton totally mauled him and wiped him out with a body shot, no one had done that to Castillo before. I think it's a win that deserve a lot of credit. 

I agree the Collazo fight could have gone the other way, but that was at welterweight, a weight that was too big for Hatton, which is why the only other time he fought there was against Mayweather. Hatton didn't take the punch as well at 147lbs and it also slowed him down. 

Point being, what can't be argued is that from what, 2005-2009 Hatton was pretty much the top guy at junior welterweight, world class and rightly rated (by Ring) as number one in that division. 

The only other guy in Hatton's weight class that would have beaten him is Cotto, but Hatton was rightly rated above him at the time as he had better wins, and then Cotto moved up Welterweight in 2006 anyway. The other big fight talked up at that time was Hatton vs Gatti and Hatton would have beaten a 2005/06 Gatti easily. 

I don't want to 'overrate' Hatton (I'm not a huge fan of him) but he was in Ring Magazine's top 10 pound for pound for 3 years and was rated number 1 at junior welterweight for 4 years (by virtue of holding the Ring title) so not half bad. Better career than Amir Khan and in fact most British boxers who have come along in the past 20 years.

Edited by Dr_Pangloss

I'm interested in this fight, but I can't say as I'm bothered which one wins - if nothing else, it's an opportunity to see them fight. It's a sad reflection of the way in which Sky have killed British boxing that I might not recognise either of them if I passed them in the street.

5 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'm interested in this fight, but I can't say as I'm bothered which one wins - if nothing else, it's an opportunity to see them fight. It's a sad reflection of the way in which Sky have killed British boxing that I might not recognise either of them if I passed them in the street.

Yup this is never a ppv event. Would have been a Nigel Benn undercard on terrestrial tv in the 90's.

Was going to say if they are and it's true what they say about your twin feeling your pain then it must suck for the other twin

I'd like to see them fight each other someday although i think Jamie is the superior fighter

Â