Poll: Finish 4th or win the League Cup?

PompeyVillan

4th or League Cup?  

97 members have voted

1. 1. 4th or League Cup?

• League Cup
    • 4th

4th.

and then the cups will flow in future years.

yeah. Just like Newcastle and Everton......er :?

You are right I'd rather be like oh I don't know Boro or Leicester who have really felt the benefit of the league cup wins.

Selective clubs. Why not mention Man. Utd Liverpool etc.winning the League cup. Even our glory years were started by us winning the said trophy. Nobody remembers finishing fourth in anything. Call me old fashioned , but winning silverware at Wembley still holds an attraction for this old timer.

I think if we came 4th then we would be able to attract a player or two of a higher class.. If we won the League Cup then I don't think we would..

That's why I think 4th is better for the development of villa

I think if we came 4th then we would be able to attract a player or two of a higher class.. If we won the League Cup then I don't think we would..

Fair point. But take it from me, when your old and grey and your hearing and sight start to fail, its the memories of the cups you won that warm your heart. Somehow remembering the wonderful "developement " of the seasonn 09-10 just wont do the trick. Glory is coloured silver.

Fair point. But take it from me, when your old and grey and your hearing and sight start to fail, its the memories of the cups you won that warm your heart. Somehow remembering the wonderful "developement " of the seasonn 09-10 just wont do the trick. Glory is coloured silver.

Probably true.. But I'd like to think that, if we came 4th, MON would buy a couple of players who would be interested in helping Villa stay in the Champs League for more than the qualifying round..

Not a Torres or a Drogba but a few players with class who will help Villa push in the right direction.

And with that push and the added quality - I'd hope that we'd also challenge for the League Cup the next season

I'd much prefer a possibility of that ^^ than a League Cup which doesn't come with much praise or attraction for better players

Bit of a tough one, I'd probably say Cup win. Finishing 4th means we'll have to play a fairly tough tie in the qualifying round and chances are we wouldn't get through. Though if we bring in some big names before the qualifying round, it'd help alot.

If we changed the question to -

"For the next 5 years would you prefer to finish 4th or win the league cup?" then would anyone change their mind?

I'd stick with 4th (but I'm stubborn lol)..

4th.

I know we'd then have to play two games in the qualifying rounds, but just imagine how much it would raise the status of the club if we got through.

If we won the league cup then it would be a nice day out, and we'd get a nice shiny cup, but it would do sod all in the long term.

The best players want Champions League football. They don't join a club and then cite the fact that they're the League Cup holders as a reason for signing.

Are you three serious? I may have missed the sarcasm but...you would seriously give up a place in the CL for the mickey mouse cup?

I too would love for us to grab some silverware this season, but not at the expense of the massive step forward that gaining Champions League football would give us!

Yeah, because it was a massive step forward for Everton wasn't it...

Where are they now again?

This. Finishing fourth doesn't guarantee us anything. We might not even get into the CL, just like Everton. I really don't count qualification rounds as being in the CL.....

Plus, why would it push us forward exactly? Some people seem to think we would attract better players, however that wouldn't be a certainty. Sure, it may make us seem more attractive if we finish fourth, yet it would take more than that to attract players.

In the perfect scenario I'd love to finish fourth and win the LC. If I had to choose though, then I would go for the LC every time and a top six finish. That to me would be progress. It has been far too long since we last won a trophy.

If MON puts out a weakened team in the LC (semi's or final if we get there) in order to secure fourth place then I will be furious. He made that mistake last season and look what happened. I want the cup to be our priority now, with league position coming second. We should be quite capable of doing both....

Last season we could very well have won the Uefa Cup and I don't want another cup going under due to a chance of finishing in the top four. I honestly don't think we will finish in the top four anyway. However, if we win the LC and finish in the top six, then that to me is progress.

Hopefully things will be even better though and we will finish fourth and win the cup. Only time will tell....

I would sacrifice a league cup win (who gives 100 000 pounds in price money) in order to get a CL place and thus increase our spending on players (buying better players and be able to pay higher wages).

I think that will give more trophies (LC and FA Cup) in the long term.

Â